Not a noob but noob to the page.

woundhealer

Hey everyone,

So glad I found this page.

Mostly car camped and fly fished in the 90s. Had a big trip planned to ONP and tore my ACL. Life happened and didn’t get back into backpacking until a three years ago when my daughter went to MSU in Bozeman. If I could do it financially I’d be in Montana!

Biggest trips have been Glacier and Yosemite Wilderness. Yosemite was last June. Park opened up in June 5th. It just happens to work out and I didn’t cancel. My flight to Sacramento was June 5th 2020. Trip started June 6th. Did Half Dome as well. My daughter says it was destiny.

Doing Teton Crest Trail in August. It was hard to get campsites. I was on when it was live. Already registered with recreation.gov. Clicked on campsite. Went to book and it said campsites were already reserved. Don’t get it. I didn’t hesitate. There was nowhere in recreation.gov to presave payment info so I don’t get how anyone could have booked faster. It wasn’t to user friendly for my iPad Pro. I got middle fork and am staying in Alaska Basin a few nights. Will walk out Cascade.

Can I amend my permit with a walk-in? Not sure how Grand Tetons works and the lines have been really busy.

Last edited:
I have looked through posts and looked on my maps. Still wondering about best water sources. As for August 7-11th would anyone advise and ice ax? I’m bringing micro spikes anyway.

Welcome!

1. You can definitely try for a walk-in permit the day before your trip. The key is getting up early and being in line long before the permit office actually opens.
2. In terms of quality, water is great. Some might be turned off by Sunset Lake, since it sees a ton of visitors, but filter or treat it and you'll be fine.
3. Unless it's an exceptionally high snow year, you probably won't need an ice axe or spikes.

If camping in the Jedediah Smith Wilderness outside the Park, one does not need a permit since it is National Forest land. The Jedediah Smith Wilderness is on the West Slope of the Tetons with usually the Teton Crest being the boundary between the Park and the National Forest.

Last edited:
I hiked the TCT last August. I arrived at the backcountry desk at 6:20 on a Thursday morning (day before my first night in the backcountry) and was 3rd in line. It seemed like the line really started growing after 7:00 AM. I got the exact itinerary I wanted, including Marion Lake on a Friday night.

Plenty of cool, clear water everywhere along the way.

I doubt you will have need of any specialized snow/ice equipment in August, especially if you are going down Cascade. Paintbrush seems to be the area that holds the most snow. A good resource for current conditions is the Jenny Lake Rangers. They will post regular updates during the summer here: http://tetonclimbingcany.blogspot.com/p/teton-crest-trail-2017.html (I know it looks like this is for 2017, but they kept it current last summer)

I did a full write up of my trip here:

Feel free to shoot me any questions you have.

Start at Grassy lk at the yellowstone border .....go out phillips creek on the south. ...... Can camp entirely outside the park. Water accessible easily the entire trip. ... the route we took was the original petzholt highline trail...not the short version people do now. ... I have a u tube slideshow from a few years back ...

Welcome! I hope your Teton Crest trip this summer is awesome. Fun to plan summer trips and daydream during these cold winter days.

I've never hiked in the Tetons, so I have no advice to offer. As you've seen, lots of people here have, so you came to the right place!

I hiked the TCT last August. I arrived at the backcountry desk at 6:20 on a Thursday morning (day before my first night in the backcountry) and was 3rd in line. It seemed like the line really started growing after 7:00 AM. I got the exact itinerary I wanted, including Marion Lake on a Friday night.

Plenty of cool, clear water everywhere along the way.

I doubt you will have need of any specialized snow/ice equipment in August, especially if you are going down Cascade. Paintbrush seems to be the area that holds the most snow. A good resource for current conditions is the Jenny Lake Rangers. They will post regular updates during the summer here: http://tetonclimbingcany.blogspot.com/p/teton-crest-trail-2017.html (I know it looks like this is for 2017, but they kept it current last summer)

I did a full write up of my trip here:

Feel free to shoot me any questions you have.
What an awesome read! Thank you!