NORTHWEST | 4K Timelapse Film : Featuring Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming & Montana

As some of you may have noticed after every backpacking season (for me it's usually March - November then work gets busy) I take all my best timelapses of the year and make a video with them. Here is this years! I hope you enjoy.

I liked you 2019 video, but this one really works for me.
I think I need a goal of 2021 and I think timelapse photos might be it. Any recommendations for a starting point if I'm ok with photography but know nothing about video?

P.S. I'd like to see more of the mountain goats? at 2:30, the short clip was neat to see them "working" the side of the mountain

I liked you 2019 video, but this one really works for me.
I think I need a goal of 2021 and I think timelapse photos might be it. Any recommendations for a starting point if I'm ok with photography but know nothing about video?

P.S. I'd like to see more of the mountain goats? at 2:30, the short clip was neat to see them "working" the side of the mountain

Thanks!

As for timelapse photography I use a Nikon D7200 with it's 'interval shot' setting. With a medium-weight tripod (i still got to carry the thing around). The weight of the tripod helps stabilize the footage. But sometimes it can be straight up too windy and shake the tripod for a timelapse so I will take the camera and just place it on a rock wit ha rock under the lense to help it "look up" a bit. Since starting timelapses I've found some TL rules that work well with the outdoors.

Unless nightsky shooting, always leave ISO at 100 and just increase the exposure for lighting.

Interval Settings for pictures (my timelapses are usually 300 pictures to 800 pictures long) for a 30fps video. If you do 60fps videos you will have to double everything. Even though I don't think timelapses will work too well for 60fps as that's way too many frames per second.
- Interval Setting -
Fast Moving Clouds : 1 Second per pic for high detail | 3 seconds per pic for super fast clouds
Normal Clouds : 3 Seconds
Sunset : 2 Hours before sunset 10 seconds, 30 minutes before sunset 5 seconds, at sunset 1 second (same rule applies for sunrise but reverse order)
Night sky: Usually do 6400-8000ISO @ 20 seconds with 25 second intervals

Unless you are doing a shadow timelapse or sunset/sunrise, blue bird days (no clouds) aren't very good for timelapse footage as there is little movement. But you can get good shadow movement footage by having the camera take a pic every 15 seconds. Just remember you need at least 200 pictures to not make the footage "too quick" So 200 x 15 = 3000 / 60 = 50 Minutes of camera at work (luckily its a timelapse so you can just set it and go explore, but the shadow stuff doesn't work if you are still hiking unless you are taking an hour break haha.

ISO Settings for sunset shots
I tend to not use the "Adaptive Aperture" on my camera for timelapses because it causes intense flicker and in lower light situations you lose lots of color. So just before sunset I'll have the exposure meter 3/4 above half and as the sun goes down it gets darker and normalizes and once sun is down it gets a bit darker than half which can all be fixed in adobe lightroom. But because of that you get all the rich colors of sunset.

Programs I use are Adobe Lightroom to edit. I'll export each sequence of photos into their own folder to help organize (I export as jpg). It takes awhile to do this. Then in adobe premiere I go to the folder of the timelapse sequence, there you will see your ~300 photos or however many you took now as jpgs after export and they will be numbered such as photo, photo 2, photo 3... and so on. Ill rename photo as 'photo 1' because for some reason lightroom doesn't do that for you and I don't wanna lose a photo. After that select photo 1 and check the box 'import as sequence' and it will merge it together as a video.

I bought digital anarchy's flicker free effect for adobe premiere to fix timelapse flicker. There are other ways to do it but this was the quickest and easiest for me.

I highly suggest looking up Peter Mckinnon on youtube, he has great tutorials.

Now loved your video. Thanks for posting! You visited some nice places this year.

I love to watch movies or series or TV shows in which beautiful people participate, this aspect attracting a lot of attention and I think it's really important. In general, I got used to watch full movies online on FMovies because on this platform I know for sure that I can always find everything I like and I get recommendations based on my suggestions and history views, which is extremely useful.

Last edited: