Noobie

Paulo

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker here for a few months now, and really enjoy the trip reports and photos.
I used to backpack a lot, but a medical condition took me mostly out of circulation for several years. I've beat it and aching to make up for lost time.
I've been able to do many shorter trips, as I also love the Utah desert. Along with backpacking and fly fishing, climbing and canyoneering are other favorite past times.
I've been to many places in the Uintas, but I'm looking for a place I've never been for this coming weekend, August 27-30. I love fly fishing, and want to do a North slope trip. My last back pack trip in the Uintas was to Gilbert lake. The fishing was great, and the moose in the lake every morning was a bonus. I considered returning to Gilbert, but want to experience something new.
I've always wanted to go to Amethyst, and I will, but a friend of mine gave a pretty good review of the West Fork Blacks Fork, for scenery and fishing. Not to mention, I wanted a little further destination than Amethyst. Bucks Pasture looks great, and I've heard good things about a little lake at the top of the drainage.
I guess my question is, I'm wondering about sheep this time of year (at the top of the drainage yet?). I also wonder about the river crossing before the trailhead. I have a Chevy Silverado duramax, and I'm assuming if a Subaru and a Honda Accord can make it late summer, it shouldn't be a problem.
I want bang for my buck for my return to the backcountry, and I'm bringing along a friend from back east.Any point of view on Amethyst vs WFBF would be appreciated. Or even Allsop.
I truly love the awesome TR's I've read, and the incredible photos accompanying them. I hope to measure up to the great photographers and authors I have encountered here. I promise a detailed report on my return.
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It really gets me excited when I should be otherwise working.
Paul

I think WFBF is a great choice, you can fish bucks pasture, Dead Horse and EJOD. If you have a long bed crew cab you may have a bit of a chance of scraping coming out of the crossing, but I would bet even in that you would be fine.

Allsop isn't a bad choice either but your choice of fishing is more limited. You may run into sheep in WFBF but you would also run the possibility of cows in Allsop. WFBF is more of a drive but with the length of your trip I think its worth it.

Thanks Devo. I was leaning that direction. WFBF it is, I'm excited. I've got a short bed crew cab, it's my beat on truck so I'll take a look when I'm there. We'll drive out Thursday evening, camp at the trailhead to acclimate a little and save time, and hoof it Friday til Sunday. I appreciate the response, and will post a report.

Thanks Devo. I was leaning that direction. WFBF it is, I'm excited. I've got a short bed crew cab, it's my beat on truck so I'll take a look when I'm there. We'll drive out Thursday evening, camp at the trailhead to acclimate a little and save time, and hoof it Friday til Sunday. I appreciate the response, and will post a report.

Short bed you'll be fine I am sure! Good idea on acclimating, especially with a friend from back east. Will make it a lot more enjoyable. If you find you have time to spend once at the trail head you could hike to the wilderness boundary. Its only 2 miles and 200ft higher. 9600 vs 9400, just something to consider if you still have daylight left once up there.

Yeah, I made it across the river in my Outback a few years back (late August/early Sept I think).

I was up at Priord Lake 10 days ago and we saw cattle up there (and down in the Rock Creek Basin). We saw sheep along HW 150.

Way to beat the health problems. I'm glad you get to get back out and enjoy backpacking. Have fun up there!

Thanks again Devo, and Mike. It must have been your Subaru I mentioned (from a trip report). Ideally I'd like to be at the trailhead by 6 or 7pm Thursday, in which case we'd definitely throw the packs on and get up to the meadow. My buddy's work schedule may not get us to the trailhead til 9 or 10.
Thanks for the info. TR to come.

As I typed my last post, my wife informed me of a 10 year old boy who's been missing since yesterday morning in the Uintas in the Palisade area by Vernal. And as I typed the previous sentence, she just informed me that he has been found alive. Pretty terrifying when I picture my 10 year old daughter wandering the woods lost. When she told me he was missing, my first thought was if I could bag work tomorrow and go out and help look. Best possible outcome.

Last edited: