Noobie from "Xichigan"

DownPour

Hello all,

Currently, I living in Michigan but originally from Ohio.
Long story short...my wife and I have always been day hikers. It was not until I took a position in Minnesota (after living in Guam) that we got the "bug" for backcountry backpacking. We found ourselves close enough to drive out West and experience backpacking. We did a couple hikes in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons while finding out that we were seriously out of shape but our minds kept telling us that we could do it. :)))
Currently, we have plans to go back to Wy (Yellowstone and Tetons) again this Sept. Our current long term goal is to some day retire and hike when and where we would like to go...if we stay healthy.

From another originally Midwesterner, welcome! You couldn't have found a better community of like-minded people.

Do you do much backpacking in Michigan and the surrounding area?

Welcome. I live in Wyoming now, but I lived by Lake Superior for 20 years, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. There are lots of neat places to hike in both areas.

Thanks for sharing that about yourself and your wife! Happy to have you!

I left Michigan 42 years ago to live on the edge of the Great American Southwest. Do not confine yourselves to the mountains. Seek out the deserts. They are alive. You will not regret it.,

From another originally Midwesterner, welcome! You couldn't have found a better community of like-minded people.

Do you do much backpacking in Michigan and the surrounding area?

Not yet, I have only been here since October. There are some areas in the U.P. of Mich that look promising if I remain in the State long enough.