Non Technical Neon Canyon Route

powderglut

In search of Fresh
Along with our 2 or 3 nts backpacking trip in Coyote Gulch and a day hike thru RedBreaks, is a potential day hike down to Neon Canyon from the Egypt TH. Most of our crew would rather not be rappelling down slots on our way to the Golden Cathedral. All have expressed interest in seeing this canyon and.. a hike up to look back thru the Cathedral. I'm told you can skirt around Fence canyon on the slickrock and go direct to the Escalante without too much fanfare. Would appreciate any input in making this a great non technical day hike.
Looking forward to an awesome week stay down the Hole in the Rock Rd. Less than 2 weeks away. Yee haw!!

A hike out to the Golden Cathedral is definitely worthwhile even if you're not packing the ropes. There are two ways to access it from the Egypt Trailhead. 1. Fence Canyon and 2. The 'B-Line'. The B-Line, as the name might suggest is the fastest and most direct. If you have more time, hiking along the rim of Fence Canyon and playing in the little slots along the way might be more scenic, but the b-line is shorter and faster. Both are equally easy.

Here's a map:

View larger map.
To give you an idea, we ran into TheDunedain at the cathedral after completing the technical descent of Neon. He strolled through our camp at the mouth of Neon while we were packing up. He had to hike up to Fence to pick up his pack still. Meanwhile we still had to pack our packs. When I made it to the Egypt Trailhead, I turned around and saw TheDunedain approaching the steep exit route. Probably 15-20 minutes behind us. Granted, he took the wrong exit route so it turned out a bit longer than that, but that's what it would have been. Crazy night, eh Alex? haha! ;)

If I were doing it as a day hike, I'd probably go in at Fence and out via B-Line. Fence is pretty cool and following the north side of the drainage in is pretty interesting. You might end up backtracking if you follow it too closely though. I can't find my notes on it, but I think it was 4-5 miles via the B-Line.

So going down Fence is basically a non technical slot canyon hike to Escalante? Then the B-Line shot back is a slickrock hike? That's what I'm seeing according to your route map. I'd day trip this if it's fairly straight forward.

Going down Fence is mostly slick rock rambling. You can hike through the upper fence slot here and there but if you try to follow it all the way, you will get to a big dry fall. If you do get to that point, just back track 5 minutes and get back out of the canyon on the north and follow along the rim down to the canyon bottom. It's a fun hike.

The B-line route is pretty similar terrain, just on the south side of Fence. To find the exit up the sand slope for the b-line, just head straight across the river from the mouth of Neon and head towards the other side of the canyon. The trail starts just down canyon from that big ridge and is very easy to find. There is a nice campsite right at the bottom of it. The map I drew up is pretty accurate in that respect.

From there it's a big sandy slope to get out of the canyon and then lots of slickrock. There is a decent path through the slickrock but it can be a bit tough to follow at times so just keep heading for the Egypt bench. The proper route stays high. If you find yourself getting forced into Fence, seek higher ground. You should reconnect with the route you took into Fence just below the descent route up to the Egypt Trailhead.

This shot is looking back at the mouth of Neon from about half way up the b-line sand dune.

escalante-backpacking-loop-47-jpg.6314

Thank you Nick. This will definitely be a day shot on the agenda. Getting reacquainted to some old stuff and seeing new things out HITR will be a total treat. So many places, so little time.

NOTE -- along the Escalante there is no way up/down north of where Nick drew the correct line for the B-Line route. North of that little point it is sheer walls all the way along the river and then a little ways into Fence. At this point it is possible to get down into Fence Canyon from the south rim -- but not many people do it this way.

- Jamal

NOTE -- along the Escalante there is no way up/down north of where Nick drew the correct line for the B-Line route. North of that little point it is sheer walls all the way along the river and then a little ways into Fence. At this point it is possible to get down into Fence Canyon from the south rim -- but not many people do it this way.

- Jamal
I'm not sure what you're trying to convey here. Once up on the B-line, you're pretty much committed to that route?

I'm not sure what you're trying to convey here. Once up on the B-line, you're pretty much committed to that route?

Sorry for the confusion -- my point was for if you wanted to go DOWN that way. In other words, if you strayed too far north on the b-line... don't get too dismayed when you hit a sheer cliff -- just go a little farther south to find the correct B-Line route or a little farther north and drop into Fence.

- JG

Sorry for the confusion -- my point was for if you wanted to go DOWN that way. In other words, if you strayed too far north on the b-line... don't get too dismayed when you hit a sheer cliff -- just go a little farther south to find the correct B-Line route or a little farther north and drop into Fence.

- JG
Copy that. I may just do the Fence hike in and the B-line out. That dome above Neon looks fairly prominent. Is that in your view for most of the hike in, if you stay on top?