NOAA June, July, and August Seasonal Outlook Maps

Absarokanaut

With few exceptions the American West is looking at a hot summer with above average precipitation in some areas.

Forecast.gif

Forecast Two.gif

Just thought some of you might want to take outlooks into consideration for any travel to the region with limited time. In my experience these maps have been pretty darn accurate; however 2015 has been a little bit of a roller coaster. I am psyched for a great summer here in Greater Yellowstone. Wherever you go keep your stick on the ice friends.

How much longer can California survive such a hot and dry drought? Yikes! Hopefully this year is just one of those anomaly years followed my a string of a few more normal years before we see such another hot and dry one.

Seriously. I don't know what to believe today, but drought stuff is nothing to joke about. I would think this is legit.

More:
month1_outlook.png

month2_outlook.png

extended_outlook.png

11081033_10153191519097390_3903809571190075089_n.jpg

What this years fire season is looking like......

aaa.jpg

Thanks for posting that Bob.

If you think this is too political yank it and accept my preemptive apologies, responding to content in Bob's good post.

This is an issue with major implications for our Western Outdoors as well as our lives. Call me a biased glutton but I think the tomatos on my Cheeseburger and the strawberries on my cereal are more important than indulging someone with a cheap lawn in the desert. Like the Northeast California has essentially carried most of the country aside from the natural resource rich states for decades, I think its time for the Federal Government [all of us] to do some priority adjusting and stop letting posterior orifices rape good Americans over the cost of water. I think agriculture can be more efficient, but with who really knows what might be coming down in the 21st century weather world irrigation will always be a necessary just a fail safe [to a point of course] against drought. I don't think California is entitled to more water. I think their investment in America should now pay some dividends when they need it and help them improve water infrastructure along with all our nation's infrastructure. IMO this is a far larger national security concern than anything the Military Industrial Complex would have you believe.

Clean drinking water locally and globally is an issue none of us can afford to ignore. I'd be a liar to say I haven't had bottled water or shopped the convenience of Walmart, but darn it we need to stop the bottled water industry in its tracks. Unless of course they were to champion considerable deposits to essentially guarantee nearly 100% recycling. I have a six pack of beer in my fridge, but it's a pain in the posterior to recycle unless I pay for it. I believe we truly need to go back to public sanitation. Privatization of it is not only expensive but also far more ineffective than if a considerable deposit was required. As much of a hassle it will be and take getting used to I can't see how any one of us can't be demanding a National Bottle Bill whether we love the outdoors or not.

We can screw up the only home we have in major ways. There is no need to. We just need to demand sanity.

Oh yeah. There was a news story not long ago about the idea of a water pipeline from the Mississippi Watershed to the Colorado. It's an intriguing idea, of course implications for birds, fish , and other considerations are out there but should we? We could irrigate a LOT of land doing that. Major investment, but then we'd have more food if we're gonna keep the "success" of civilization predicated on growth.

What, stop growth???????? What about all the missed business opportunities??????

The precip around SW MT is sort of normal these days. We had 17" of wet slush in the yard Wednesday that, while a royal pain in the posterior, was at least a couple to several inches of needed precip at our place and likely a lot more at higher elevation. It did make for some wicked wet slides and there is still some of it in the yard.

So far, haven't amended any of the summer plans due to weather/fire concerns but a lot can happen over even several weeks time.

Thanks for posting that Bob.

If you think this is too political yank it and accept my preemptive apologies, responding to content in Bob's good post.

This is an issue with major implications for our Western Outdoors as well as our lives. Call me a biased glutton but I think the tomatos on my Cheeseburger and the strawberries on my cereal are more important than indulging someone with a cheap lawn in the desert. Like the Northeast California has essentially carried most of the country aside from the natural resource rich states for decades, I think its time for the Federal Government [all of us] to do some priority adjusting and stop letting posterior orifices rape good Americans over the cost of water. I think agriculture can be more efficient, but with who really knows what might be coming down in the 21st century weather world irrigation will always be a necessary just a fail safe [to a point of course] against drought. I don't think California is entitled to more water. I think their investment in America should now pay some dividends when they need it and help them improve water infrastructure along with all our nation's infrastructure. IMO this is a far larger national security concern than anything the Military Industrial Complex would have you believe.

Clean drinking water locally and globally is an issue none of us can afford to ignore. I'd be a liar to say I haven't had bottled water or shopped the convenience of Walmart, but darn it we need to stop the bottled water industry in its tracks. Unless of course they were to champion considerable deposits to essentially guarantee nearly 100% recycling. I have a six pack of beer in my fridge, but it's a pain in the posterior to recycle unless I pay for it. I believe we truly need to go back to public sanitation. Privatization of it is not only expensive but also far more ineffective than if a considerable deposit was required. As much of a hassle it will be and take getting used to I can't see how any one of us can't be demanding a National Bottle Bill whether we love the outdoors or not.

We can screw up the only home we have in major ways. There is no need to. We just need to demand sanity.

Cotrary to your fears I did not find this "political" at all. I appreciate your passion mixed with doses of reality. I agree that agriculture is far mor important than a lawn in the desert and I would of thought there were already such priorties in place
as to who gets water first. Any excuse to not have to water, fertilize & mow the bane of my existence I will happily agree to. I will also agree that water is security issue that appears to be overlooked. I've got a friend who works at the water treatment plant that takes water from Provo canyon and then sends it to large sections of Utah Valley. I've been told all it would take is the right chemical agents in their open storage units to shut the water down here. Heck, all it wold take is the right agents in the mountain resivors and northern Utah is done.

While I despise bottled water in principle I'm for a free market and so I can't buy into "stop the bottled water industry in it's tracks." But I think there are things that could be done that would solve the issue almost over night. I grew up in Michigan. In Michigan every beverage container, plastic, glass, aluminum, etc has a .10 cent fee added to it's cost at purchase. When you turn in your empties you get your .10 cents back. This is a tax I can agree with because it's a usage tax - it's not levied onto people who aren't using the products. Even those people who are lazy, rude or whatever and don''t turn in their bottles there are 100's of "bottle scroungers" who will pick up those containers on the side of the road, sift through trash cans, whereever all to collect their .10 cents a container. It really works.

Not to sound anti-"green" living but, I think the whole prinicple of recycling is something that sounds intuitive but in reality does more enviromental harm than good - at least with current methods. How much more oil is burned is just the collection? How much air pollutio is produced in the recycling process?

I really want these kinds of discussions to happen, especially when they can be done without the weight of political parties. Thanks.

Not to sound anti-"green" living but, I think the whole prinicple of recycling is something that sounds intuitive but in reality does more enviromental harm than good - at least with current methods. How much more oil is burned is just the collection? How much air pollutio is produced in the recycling process?

Recycling isn't always about being more "green" per say. A lot of materials are finite in quantity, and it only makes sense to recycle them. It also makes sense to recycle materials that could be hazardous to the environment if just dumped in the trash can, even though harvesting and recycling those materials might take more energy than just making new ones. I agree it's not a perfect system, but I think it's better than just dumping everything in a landfill. Our recycling here is really quite primitive. In Japan recycling is just the way it is, I remember having certain days for batteries each month, and other days for used oil, you just put it all by your door and they would come pick it up.