Nine Mile Canyon XIV: Warrior Ridge

Udink

Still right here.
@IntrepidXJ set this trip into motion in mid-April, and Alan made it possible by securing access to the private property that we'd be entering to visit Warrior Ridge in Nine Mile Canyon, which holds some of the best rock art in the Nine Mile area. Many fighting scenes adorn the cliffs and give the ridge its name. On the morning of Saturday, May 21st, Alan and I met Randy and Diane in Wellington and we headed into Nine Mile. Upon arrival at our destination our first order of business was to figure out where and how to cross the creek. At first we tried to gather materials--fallen trees and discarded planks--to build a bridge but it proved too sketchy. Instead, we just changed into sandals and forded the creek on foot. All, that is, except me, since I forgot to bring sandals. I went barefoot. Once across the creek we climbed up a trail onto the lower part of Warrior Ridge to where a couple of pit houses once lay.

Climbing up to Warrior Ridge
IMG_2128.JPG

Claret Cup Cactus near a pit house
IMG_2133.JPG

Daisies
IMG_2134.JPG

Higher up the ridge we encountered the first petroglyph panel. It was a large panel with both big and small figures, some depicting fighting scenes and some hunting. Here a group from Colorado caught up to us and we chatted briefly before hiking ahead of them.

Alan approaching the first petroglyphs
IMG_2136.JPG

Petroglyph on a slab of rock
IMG_2146.JPG

Fighting scene
IMG_2151.JPG

Hunting scene
IMG_2155.JPG

Large sheep
IMG_2157.JPG

Yankee Doodles
IMG_2176.JPG

A group from Colorado
IMG_2190.JPG

Farther along Warrior Ridge were more variations on the fighting and hunting themes along with a few very remarkable petroglyphs. My favorite was an interesting central figure being attacked on both sides by shield-bearing figures. A couple of large bighorn sheep petroglyphs and a very nice elk rounded out my favorites from the area.

Warriors
IMG_2204.JPG

Dance party
IMG_2216.JPG

Large, busy panel with lots of dots
IMG_2217.JPG

My favorite petroglyphs on Warrior Ridge
IMG_2231.JPG

Large sheep, snakes, fox, and others
IMG_2259.JPG

Large sheep among many smaller animals
IMG_2306.JPG

Large and well-executed elk petroglyph
IMG_2313.JPG

Petroglyphs with unusual dark outlines
IMG_2318.JPG

Randy photographing Alan photographing some petroglyphs
IMG_2323.JPG

High sheep
IMG_2327.JPG

Red pictograph up high
IMG_2339.JPG

We worked our way up to the highest point of the ridge where we were able to look down the other side toward our vehicles. From there we followed the top of the ridge back down close to where we'd started the climb up. Since we were now above the cliffs containing the rock art there wasn't much to see while descending, but I did find a pit house that I had made out in Google Earth before the trip. Instead of following our original route back to the vehicles, we followed a cow path that turned out being much easier. The creek crossing was shallower and full of gravel instead of big rocks, which made it much easier on my bare feet. Just after the creek crossing it began to rain heavily. It had been threatening to rain all day and had even sprinkled a couple of times, but now it was a downpour. We all hiked in a straight line toward the paved road and then followed it back to the vehicles. Despite the rain we had to stop a couple of times to look at rock art and inscriptions along the roadside. We said goodbyes after reaching the vehicles, with Randy and Diane heading to SLC, and Alan and I going home. Although it hadn't felt like a very strenuous hike at the time, when I got home some soreness had set in. It was the good kind of sore that gently reminds one of the good times had. :)

Climbing to the top of Warrior Ridge
IMG_2379.JPG

Our vehicles below
IMG_2388.JPG

View down Warrior Ridge
IMG_2391.JPG

Pit house
IMG_2398.JPG

Either Southern Phlox (Phlox austromontana) or Gray Phlox (Phlox canescens)
IMG_2415.JPG

Diane and Alan crossing Nine Mile Creek
IMG_2426.JPG

Walk back to our vehicles in the rain
IMG_2434.JPG

Photo Gallery: Nine Mile Canyon XIV: Warrior Ridge

Looks awesome. Do you guys pair your searches for rock art with a lot of research on them? Are there good resources out there on that type of stuff?

How hard is it to get permission to access this area?
I'm not really sure. My friend Alan knows a guy who works for the oil company (unsure of his capacity there) that owns the land, and the group from Colorado said they'd gotten permission from Jerry Spangler (cparch.org) who is an archaeological consultant for the same company.

Looks awesome. Do you guys pair your searches for rock art with a lot of research on them? Are there good resources out there on that type of stuff?
There are some resources but getting useful information from them usually involves a lot of reading between the lines. I spend a fair amount of time just looking around in Google Earth. :)