Nine Mile Canyon VII: Awesome!

Udink

Still right here.
After spending the previous day in Nine Mile Canyon and seeing some high-up rock art from a distance, I returned to climb high above the canyon floor to get a closer look. First, I stopped to look for a petroglyph site that Celia had told me about the day before. There's a "First Site" in upper Nine Mile Canyon that is so-named for being the first rock art site one encounters when traveling downstream from the head of Nine Mile Creek, but there's in fact a much-farther-upstream site. Thanks to Celia's directions I was able to find that site.

"First Site"
IMG_1531.JPG

I parked my Jeep below the ruins and rock art that we'd seen the day before, and it would remain there most of the rest of the day. I had named the waypoint in my GPS "Awesome!" based just on what could be seen from the road, and it turned out to be much more so up close. There was so much to see in the immediate area that I spent most of the day climbing higher and higher and finding rock art all along the way. At first I saw a few very small petroglyphs and an arrowhead which was the first I'd seen anywhere in Nine Mile.

Unusual wildlife in Nine Mile Canyon
IMG_1551.JPG

My Grand Cherokee visible through a hole in the wall of a ruin
IMG_1565.JPG

A panel of small petroglyphs
IMG_1572.JPG

Tiny sheep petroglyph with my hand for scale
IMG_1578.JPG

Ooh, a pretty rock! The first I've seen in Nine Mile.
IMG_1581.JPG

Next I encountered the first of several upside-down figures. I can't help but think the figures represent something, but I'd stop short of guessing what that might be. Another prevalent theme in the area was dots and zig-zag and wavy lines.

Faint upside-down-man (left) and a guy with something strange going on between his legs
IMG_1587.JPG

Large sheep and associated lines and dots
IMG_1594.JPG

Wandering line
IMG_1616.JPG

Small sheep and long squiggly line
IMG_1633.JPG

Tiny petroglyph
IMG_1636.JPG

Partially pecked-in sheep
IMG_1637.JPG

Pecked line and scratched elk
IMG_1638.JPG

One more common theme was anthropomorphs with antlers or antennae, the first of which was one of the most interesting petroglyphs I've seen. It appeared to be a figure with antlers, but one hand was pecked solid, and it appeared to be standing on a tree-like element with a snake-like figure between the legs. Very odd. I climbed higher and found many more surprises--it seemed unusual to find so much rock art so high above the canyon floor.

Anthropomorph with antlers
IMG_1664.JPG

Wha...?
IMG_1666.JPG

Anthropomorph and other random petroglyphs
IMG_1683.JPG

Transverse and square waves
IMG_1692.JPG

Sheep and dots
IMG_1697.JPG

Upside-down horned snake
IMG_1702.JPG

Large (about 6'x6') panel of diagonal lines and zig-zags
IMG_1706.JPG

Another upside-down guy
IMG_1709.JPG

The next interesting petroglyph I encountered was a large grid, almost in the shape of a human figure, but not quite. Next to it was a large, inverted representation of an arrowhead. I stopped for lunch, then climbed yet higher and found a smattering of random petroglyphs, but no more large, cohesive panels.

Large grid and other interesting petroglyphs
IMG_1716.JPG

Long zig-zag line and a strange sheep
IMG_1731.JPG

One-horned guy
IMG_1736.JPG

Running sheep
IMG_1753.JPG

Antennae man
IMG_1754.JPG

Big sheep
IMG_1755.JPG

Shield guy
IMG_1764.JPG

Curly-tailed sheep
IMG_1769.JPG

High-up petroglyphs
IMG_1772.JPG

The sun was almost behind the high canyon walls when I returned via a circuitous route down through the ledges and back to the Jeep. During the drive home I saw many deer, some of which crossed the road in front of me and were kind enough to pose on the hillside next to the road for some photos.

1x2 buck deer
IMG_1790.JPG

4-point buck
IMG_1796.JPG

Photo Gallery: Nine Mile Canyon VII: Awesome!

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

that's some really great art. So interesting.

Very cool. So it that a domestic cat you saw out there or is that something else? Also, is that an arrowhead? Interesting how different the deer out there look compared to the ones near me.

Nine Mile Canyon is on my "to see someday" list. All the recent posts about it are moving it nearer and nearer to the top of my list!

So it that a domestic cat you saw out there or is that something else? Also, is that an arrowhead?
Yep and yep! :) There were several feral cats in that spot. There was a ranch about 1/3-mile away, so maybe they belong to the ranch. I believe the arrowhead was made of obsidian, which makes it even more interesting since the nearest source of obsidian is over 100 miles away.