New to this forum and New to the Winds

isleroyaleguy

First let me say what a great site this is. I am enjoying reading all the trip reports about the Winds. Great info.

We are planning a trip to the Wind River Range for the first week in September. We are looking for a loop trip of 6-7 days. I have been looking at something out from Big Sandy but read so much about the crowds. We hope to go through the Cirque but have read on this site that some consider overrated. Do the crowds and bugs diminish when you get into September? We are from Midwest and have spent the last 3 late summer's hiking in Glacier ,mostly on extended backpacks. So we will arrive in good hiking shape. So we are looking for recommendations for possible solitude in this busy area along with fishing opportunity as well. I know it's a long way off but all we have in MN now is a long winter. So planning is a great diversion. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Isleroyaleguy

@isleroyaleguy welcome to BCP! You have some beautiful terrain up there in MN as well. Looking at some of the paddling topics here, I woudn't be surprised if a few BCPers planned a trip to MN sometime in the next few years.

September would be a perfect time to visit the Winds as most people visit there in July and August. Crowds would be less, and bugs would definitely be a non-issue as the nights are cooler and kill them off.

Fishing opportunities are virtually endless. But some areas are better for certain species than others. If you want big fish find a lake with the lake trout, brook trout are virtually everywhere, cutthroat trout are in some lakes, while grayling and golden trout are harder to find but very rewarding to track down and catch.

So other than a loop hike, what exactly are you looking for?

@isleroyaleguy welcome to BCP! You have some beautiful terrain up there in MN as well. Looking at some of the paddling topics here, I woudn't be surprised if a few BCPers planned a trip to MN sometime in the next few years.

September would be a perfect time to visit the Winds as most people visit there in July and August. Crowds would be less, and bugs would definitely be a non-issue as the nights are cooler and kill them off.

Fishing opportunities are virtually endless. But some areas are better for certain species than others. If you want big fish find a lake with the lake trout, brook trout are virtually everywhere, cutthroat trout are in some lakes, while grayling and golden trout are harder to find but very rewarding to track down and catch.

So other than a loop hike, what exactly are you looking for?[/quote

Hey U
Thanks for reply
Ya MN is a beautiful place. But not so much at 30 below zero. Cabin fever is starting to kick in. We have paddled and hiked all over the state including BWCA, Voyagers and Isle Royale. I can sure offer advice for these areas.
As for the Winds
We would like to spend most of the time in the high country. We are used to hiking 8-12 miles per day and 2000-3000 ft climbs.
Would like the opportunity to fish some everyday so would try to camp at lakes every night. As I said before, we have been looking at.Big Sandy. But are open to all options and areas.

IRG

What @uintahiker says. September can be awesome, especially if the monsoon pattern has broken and the weather is nice. Crowds will be greatly diminished and forgot what others say, The Cirque is awesome!! When I finally visited it, I just sat there thinking 'who the hell thinks this is overrated!??!'.

The loop over Texas Pass looks nice and including Deep/Temple Lake loops into that would be awesome too. I have trip reports for those and the Cirque on here if you dig around.

What @uintahiker says. September can be awesome, especially if the monsoon pattern has broken and the weather is nice. Crowds will be greatly diminished and forgot what others say, The Cirque is awesome!! When I finally visited it, I just sat there thinking 'who the hell thinks this is overrated!??!'.

The loop over Texas Pass looks nice and including Deep/Temple Lake loops into that would be awesome too. I have trip reports for those and the Cirque on here if you dig around.

Thanks Nick
For the reply
I have been searching through old threads trying to glean as much info as I can, and yeah I did read one of your trip reports. Nicely done, great pics and story. Hope to hear the rest of it sometime. And yeah if we are going to be out there we have to check out the Cirque for ourselves, all pics I see are amazing..
I will put together a possible itinerary and run it by you guys/gals.
I do have trouble finding mileage between certain points. What is a good resource for that?
Thanks again
IRG

Welcome....

Cirque IS over-rated...... at least go into Titcomb instead IMHO. It gets people but is WAY better. :)
Not many times you can get in there without other hikers, climbers, horse and llama packers. Stay off of the main highline (CDT) trail as well. A lot of other places better. Big Sandy, Elkhart and Green River TH, Cirques, Titcomb get the majority of people, a day beyond and they thin out. Granted Sept weeds them out as well. Get up against the Divide, that's the scenery....

Give us a little more of hiking ability...off trail route finding,steep terrain, snow field experience, high elevation -the Winds are way higher than Glacier, you can consistently be above 10K ft. Winds can get you in trouble fast. I'd plan a day in Pinedale or short easy mileage.

Elkhart to Island Lk, dayhiking Titcomb, top of Indian Pass, Fremont Peak scramble, over thru Wall Lk, Spider Lks, dayhiking top of Angel Pass, back to Elkhart. Fish a around. Some really excellent country.
Boulder to Timico lk S to Middle Fork lk (some great off trail tundra hiking and great fishing) remote, dayhike to Nylon Peak Pass, then back to Boulder. I have a post around on a 110 mile trip, U tube slideshow as well will show a lot of the country.

Last edited:
Plan 7 map miles a day, it will be longer on the ground. Pick up: Beyond Trails in the Wind River Mountains by Nancy Pallister... a ton of info.
I use Garmin Mapsource when I plan my routes. I'd say I'd join but we have a 10 day trip planned on the Northern and Eastern side of the Winds about the same time.

Thanks for replying.
Wow!! the more I look at maps and books the more I like. Titcomb basin area looks amazing.
As for hiking ability. We are not climbers.We have no problem staying on established trails. Our route finding skills are minimal. Would like to use this trip as a chance to improve them. We are getting older, got the creaky knees but we have put 250+ miles on the up and down trails of Glacier the last few summers. Don't mind snow crossing as long as we are prepared for it. Love to climb...hate going down.
willing to hike hard. Hoping to do some fishing. Just out there to soak it all in.
Not in any hurry.
Probably gonna have 7 days to explore
IRG

And I wouldn't necessarily say that the Cirque is overrated...it's really nice. But I think Titcomb is nicer.

It's hard to find any place in the Winds that's not incredible.

Cirque.............

58 Lonesome Lake.JPG

Looking south of Middle Fork Lk ............

DSC02961.JPG

First let me say what a great site this is. I am enjoying reading all the trip reports about the Winds. Great info.

We are planning a trip to the Wind River Range for the first week in September. We are looking for a loop trip of 6-7 days. I have been looking at something out from Big Sandy but read so much about the crowds. We hope to go through the Cirque but have read on this site that some consider overrated. Do the crowds and bugs diminish when you get into September? We are from Midwest and have spent the last 3 late summer's hiking in Glacier ,mostly on extended backpacks. So we will arrive in good hiking shape. So we are looking for recommendations for possible solitude in this busy area along with fishing opportunity as well. I know it's a long way off but all we have in MN now is a long winter. So planning is a great diversion. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Isleroyaleguy

I did the Cirque via Texas Pass September 8, 9, 10, 2012 and Titcomb Basin September 21, 22, 23, 2013 both were two nighters for us. Would have loved to spend much more time in both. Particularly Titcomb. Both were absolutely amazing. I live in the Tetons. Both Titcomb and the Cirque are amazing. Overrated is not a word I would have thought anyone would attribute to either area. I've only gone in September and there were literally no mosquitos on either trip. Both trips there were 1 or 2 other groups in the area, hardly crowded. September 21-23 was a little late for Titcomb, we got snowed on days 2 and 3...but only lightly. Try to do both of these at some point! I attached a picture at the entrance to Titcomb and one entering the Cirque from Texas Pass.

Me in Titcomb Entrance C.jpg IMG_3738.JPG

Thanks to all for replying.
I am digging all the trip reports.
We are definitely heading for the Titcomb Basin. I have the Falcon guide and the Backpacking Wyoming book. Along with the F. Mitchell handbook and just ordered the Pallister book. Between all them I will put together an itinerary and run it by you guys.
Looking at starting at Green River or Elkhart hoping for daily fishing opportunities.
IRG

Attachments

• 20120828_104725.jpg
    20120828_104725.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 13