New backpack for me!

DAA

So I'm wanting to lighten my pack as much as I can this year and have been thinking the biggest single chunk of weight I could lose would be off the pack itself. But I'm not going to be getting "that" light, to where a frameless or otherwise "really" lightweight pack would be comfortable.

Anyway... I sold enough coyote calendars this week to pay for a new pack, so went ahead and just now ordered myself a new ULA Circuit. At 39 oz. it is cutting a solid 2.5 pounds off compared to my Osprey Aether 70. I expect to have my starting weight for a two night Uintas trip down to about about 28 lbs. From online reviews, it sounds like that should be within the comfort range of the Circuit. I'll be finding out for myself if summer ever gets here!

- DAA

That looks pretty nice! It seems a bit on the large side (volume) to be carrying lighter loads like that though. 4,200 cubic inches is about the equivalent of a 68 liter, right? I've always figured smaller pack = lighter load because I'm more thoughtful about what I am putting in it.

And what are these calendars you speak of??

Nick, I haven't got it yet, obviously, and will have to wait until I actually try cramming all my gear in to really say. But, I think that 4200 ci figure is a bit misleading, as it includes all the pockets etc. The main compartment is only 2400 c.i.

That said, you may well be right - I might find it's larger than I really need. Coming from something like the Aether 70, I just have a hard time getting my head wrapped around going really small/light all in one shot. If I get there, I think it is going to have to be in stages :lol:.

Calendars... Some of the folks who have seen my coyote pictures kept telling me I should make a calendar or something with them. Short story kept short, I did, and sold more of them than I expected too :) .

- DAA

I've used a circuit for years. They are not as big as the measurements suggest, because they count all the external pockets. It is likely half the size of that osprey.

Unless you carry really light small gear, the circuit will work fine. I carried it for months on the PCT, it can barely squeeze in a bear canister vertically, so it's not big by any stretch.

4821799638_0776321836_b.jpg

Mine only looks big because i was carrying two CCF pads to sleep on (my hips started hurting...) With the neo air, that pack looks tiny, and carries like a dream. you'll love it if you can keep it around 25 pounds.

it's an awesome pack, my favorite I've ever owned. I own 3 ULA packs, fwiw. finally crushed the circuit in the GC this year, need to send it back for some repairs.

That sounds great to me Dan. Even more stoked to get the pack now!

- DAA

Wow, that was fast - it's here already!

Very nice looking piece of kit. All the stitching etc. appears to be well done and spot on, materials look to be sufficiently robust etc. Lots of nice features for such a lightweight pack too - straps, belt pockets, very nicely padded belt. As soon as I get time, tonight or tomorrow, I'll see how my stuff all fits in it, but just by looking, I'd say it's going to be snug but it's all going to work.

Is it Uintas yet?

- DAA

Reactions: Dan
Wow, that was fast - it's here already!

Very nice looking piece of kit. All the stitching etc. appears to be well done and spot on, materials look to be sufficiently robust etc. Lots of nice features for such a lightweight pack too - straps, belt pockets, very nicely padded belt. As soon as I get time, tonight or tomorrow, I'll see how my stuff all fits in it, but just by looking, I'd say it's going to be snug but it's all going to work.

Is it Uintas yet?

- DAA

What is your one year opinion?
I am looking for a backpack. The Circuit looks a little minimal to me. Does it work for you?

What is your one year opinion?
I am looking for a backpack. The Circuit looks a little minimal to me. Does it work for you?

Wow... My one year opinion... Does it work for me... It's actually hard for me to articulate. Or maybe it's just that I'm not really sure. My opinion is mixed, conflicted.

Preface by saying, by all measures I know to check, and according to several knowledgeable people who have looked, my Circuit fits me well.

So... Here's the deal. How well I like the pack depends on how much weight I'm carrying in it. There is a point, I can't say precisely where it is, but it's in the neighborhood of 25 lbs, that the pack just isn't as comfortable as I'd like. Or, to put it more succinctly, my load that puts the Circuit at 25 lbs, puts my Osprey Aether 70 at 27.5 lbs - the Aehter being 2.5 lbs heavier. With that load, the Aether is quite noticeably more comfortable, despite the total load being heavier.

A situation where the heavier pack is worth the weight, because the total load is easier/more comfortable to carry. FOR ME.

But then there is the other side of the same coin. There is another point, going the other way, which again I can't say precisely but it's in the neighborhood of 20 lbs, that the Circuit is fine and dandy for me and the Aether would just be extra weight for no real purpose.

In between are shades of gray. But the bottom line, for me, for the Circuit to really work well, I need to keep my starting weight below 25 lbs and the more below that the better.

I've been working on that. My starting weight for a 3 night canyon trip in early May is going to be 23.5 lbs. After I'd drank all my whiskey and ate all my food, I should come off the trail at about 17 lbs - including a quart of water.

A Uintas trip with my Son, I'll still be above 25 lbs starting weight, more like 27 lbs. At that point, I think I'm going to use my Aether.

Awfully long winded of me... But I guess my short answer would be, it IS minimal for me, but works well when I keep my total load down. Not so well when I don't. And I'm just at a point in my gear and comfort preferences, that my packed weight isn't always in the right zone for this pack.

In another two years, I'll revisit my pack and possibly try another one at around 2.5 lbs or less. I'd love to shave some total weight by going lighter with the pack, but for me, it seems like I need to get my total load down more before a lighter pack would break even on the weight vs. comfort gradient. And I don't think I'm ever going to get my total starting weight much lower than it is now.

YMMV!

- DAA

Thank you for your reply.
I think that your insight will push me toward an Aehter.
The majority of my gear I utilize camping with my Jeep where weight is not a great concern. Slowly this is changing.
Getting back into backpacking I think that getting a good pack is the place to start.
Now my next question. Where to buy? I have been happy getting equipment from backcountry.com. Where else should I look?
Everyone's opinion is appreciated.
Jack

Nice report I think the problem you might be having with higher weights is the frame style this pack uses. Usually UL backpacks decrease in comfort as weight increases. I always read this on gear reports. I went with a lightweight bp with a frame because of this. Slightly more weight, slightly more versatile.

@JackBurns I think the pack is one of the last pieces of gear to acquire. Wait until you have accumulated most of your gear, then you have a better idea as to the size and weight capacity your BP can handle. You might get an 800 down filled sleeping bag or a polyester filled(huge size differences, tent another piece of gear that can be big and heavy or small and light etc... Take your time buying, figure out your needs.

Nice report I think the problem you might be having with higher weights is the frame style this pack uses. Usually UL backpacks decrease in comfort as weight increases. I always read this on gear reports. I went with a lightweight bp with a frame because of this. Slightly more weight, slightly more versatile.

@JackBurns I think the pack is one of the last pieces of gear to acquire. Wait until you have accumulated most of your gear, then you have a better idea as to the size and weight capacity your BP can handle. You might get an 800 down filled sleeping bag or a polyester filled(huge size differences, tent another piece of gear that can be big and heavy or small and light etc... Take your time buying, figure out your needs.

That is good insight. I was thinking having a nice pack that doesn't hurt would facilitate backpacking and then the excuse to update the rest of my gear.

That is good insight. I was thinking having a nice pack that doesn't hurt would facilitate backpacking and then the excuse to update the rest of my gear.

I started to lighten my load for bike touring by replacing my tent with a tarp. Huge weight and space savings. If you backpack a lot then I would swap out gear as your gear wears out. I still use my old NF tents for car camping and winter.

Thought i'd jump in here rather than start a new thread... I'm after some advice for a new pack, something a touch smaller than the 65L one i've currently got. I'm never really out for huge amounts of time, 3 night trips are usually the absolute maximum. I've currently got my eye on the Osprey Kestrel 48, any experiences? Do we think 48L is big enough? I think it should be, I travel fairly light...

Any ideas, recommendations or tips for deals on other packs are welcome :)

I've owned the Kestrel 48 and 38. Great pack, but I prefer the Atmos 50 and Stratos 36 now. The airspeed suspension is nice.

I have an eye on the women's Atmos 50 for trips longer than 6 days.

The Osprey Kestrel 38 is my choice for trips up to 3 nights and it's super nice to have a small pack.
Last year I got the women's Kyte 46, but because I'm so short I bought one with a small frame and it's only 44L. It was pretty hard to get everything in it for up to 6 days, so I will get the Atmos with the extra room.

Thanks for the info folks. I think 45-50L is roughly what I need. Do you find there's plenty of space for everything after adding tent, bag, stove etc...?

Yes, I think if you can't fit what you need for a week into 50L, you're bringing too much stuff. If you're carrying stuff for kids or other special circumstances, that is an exception. I was using my 36L bag for long trips but decided to go up to the 50 for many trips just to make it a little easier to get it all in. I have plenty of extra room in there but not too much extra.