Nepal Bans Solo Climbers

seems so weird because the VAST majority of climbers are in groups... Like yeah Ueli Died but that was just an unfortunate accident because that guy was a beast climber. I don't know, weird. I won't be climbing it so eh lol

Just seems sad that every "risky" activity has to have someone come along make it safer. I mean, seriously, the risk is part of the challenge, isn't it?

Just seems sad that every "risky" activity has to have someone come along make it safer. I mean, seriously, the risk is part of the challenge, isn't it?
Or in the words of Colin Fletcher:

But if you judge safety to be the paramount consideration in life you should never, under any circumstances, go on long hikes alone. Don’t take short hikes alone either—or, for that matter, go anywhere alone. And avoid at all costs such foolhardy activities as driving, falling in love, or inhaling air that is almost certainly riddled with deadly germs. . . . Never cross an intersection against a red light, even when you can see that all roads are clear for miles. And never, of course, explore the guts of an idea that seems as if it might threaten one of your more cherished beliefs. In your wisdom you will probably live to a ripe old age. But you may discover, just before you die, that you have been dead for a long, long time.

This is Crazy IMO! How much thru the years have I seen it here in the US on not hiking alone and all that jazz. Freaking Insane!

LarryBoy, Loved that quote by Colin Fletcher!

There's a big difference between backpacking/hiking solo in the mountains in the contiguous USA and climbing Everest. Not even related. There have been serious problems on Everest in years past--often with know-it-all foreign climbers failing to observe local practices, including basic safety procedures. And mistakes on Everest are usually fatal--not just for the person making the mistake, but also often for others in the area or members of SAR who have to try to help them. There's enough if that already, without adding in yabos who think they know everything and won't accept local authority.

Yeah, there is an element of creating jobs for local people in this new rule. They have similar policies in parts of the Andes where we've hiked. Requiring a local guide not only generates income for the locals, but also changes their perceptions of the visitors. Instead of being rich a$$holes who walk through our communities and use our fields for toilets, the visitors are now clients of their friend Hector, Willi, or Juan Pablo.

And we quickly realized that the primary function of the guides was not to keep us from getting lost--the trails were easy to follow--it was to keep us from mucking up priceless cultural ruins, climbing on 1000 year old walls, or peeing in someone vegetable garden. No, we didn't do those things, but we saw other hikers make idiots out of themselves. And we saw guides step in and correct them.

I don't begrudge the local guides this work. It's their way of both protecting and economically benefitting from the resources that are theirs to manage.

There's a big difference between backpacking/hiking solo in the mountains in the contiguous USA and climbing Everest. Not even related. There have been serious problems on Everest in years past--often with know-it-all foreign climbers failing to observe local practices, including basic safety procedures. And mistakes on Everest are usually fatal--not just for the person making the mistake, but also often for others in the area or members of SAR who have to try to help them. There's enough if that already, without adding in yabos who think they know everything and won't accept local authority.

Yeah, there is an element of creating jobs for local people in this new rule. They have similar policies in parts of the Andes where we've hiked. Requiring a local guide not only generates income for the locals, but also changes their perceptions of the visitors. Instead of being rich a$$holes who walk through our communities and use our fields for toilets, the visitors are now clients of their friend Hector, Willi, or Juan Pablo.

And we quickly realized that the primary function of the guides was not to keep us from getting lost--the trails were easy to follow--it was to keep us from mucking up priceless cultural ruins, climbing on 1000 year old walls, or peeing in someone vegetable garden. No, we didn't do those things, but we saw other hikers make idiots out of themselves. And we saw guides step in and correct them.

I don't begrudge the local guides this work. It's their way of both protecting and economically benefitting from the resources that are theirs to manage.
I've long wished that there were such a thing as a Not-A-Jackass certification. A TSA pre-check for the outdoors, if you will. National Parks and popular permitted backcountry areas could certify you somehow. Once you had your N.O.J, you wouldn't have to watch the annoying 25 minute video at the visitors center telling you not to step on the crypto and to poop away from water. They simply tell you "hey, you gotta pack out your TP in this here canyon", you grab you permit, and you're on your merry way.

This would never happen, of course, but it's fun to dream about.

Luckily China doesn't have any such restrictions, and their part of the Himalayas are, IMHO, the best.