Need advice for a overnight trip

@BJett can probably give advice on the area but I'll chime in a little on your gear list..

That's a pretty detailed approach for just an overnight but that's probably a good thing if you're new to backpacking.. I'm no expert myself but I'll throw in my 2 cents and I'll try to avoid making suggestions that just involve spending money on replacing gear you have with other stuff. A few observations:

- You can save half a pound by replacing your steel water bottle with a reusable plastic one (like a Poland Spring or Smartwater type)

- If you eat 10 cliff bars on an overnight, you will never want to eat a cliff bar ever again. I see you want to be regimented and are very into survival, but it's okay to bring some foods you like so you enjoy yourself out there.

- I don't see any sleeping bag or quilt on your list. Even though you are further south and it probably only gets down into the 40's this time of year, that SOL emergency blanket is not going to keep you comfortable. (Also why do you have 2 hammocks on your list?)

- I'd suggest adding a hygiene kit to your list. Simply a zip lock bag with a travel toothbrush and travel tooth paste tube, a small travel package of wet wipes that can be used on face (or butt) and a small travel thing of Purel. You don't want to be pooping in the woods and then have to go prepare food without having some hand sanitizer imo. You should also have a trowel for burying your poop.

- I don't see anything about clothing which is one of the most important decisions on what to pack. Also if it's hunting season out there I'd wear something bright orange, like a hat or beanie.

- For emergency gear repairs, I'd make sure you have some duct tape (either a tiny backpackers roll or some wrapped around a trekking pole or something. Also helpful if you get any hot spots or blisters on your feet.

- If that pack you are using doesn't have a rain cover, I'd put all your stuff in a trash compactor bag inside your pack in case it rains. Do you have a rain jacket or poncho for yourself? A poncho can cover both you and the pack if your pack doesn't have a rain cover.

- make sure you have one or two large ziplock bags for carrying out your garbage.

- btw - you have your matches listed as 2.2 lbs, I'm sure you meant oz.

- do you have a bear bag and cordage to hang your food at night?

My last tip... Bring some potato chips.. They are tasty and work as a nice fire accelerant.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I second @Vegan.Hiker's comment on the Clif bars. I'm a cyclist, and I rode 160 miles in a day once and only brought Clif bars to eat. After having 3 or 4, they started to feel like rocks in my stomach, and I was probably only a third of the way into the ride. Fortunately, there were a few pit stops along the way and I was able to get fruit and stuff. Your body will thank you for a bit more variety!

I may have overlooked it but I didn't see anything like a good rain fly, sleeping bag, foam sleeping pad for insulation, down or synthetic jacket, headlamp, stove/fuel (fall camping sucks for smokey fires from wet wood), rain gear at least a poncho, cell phone with GPS, ditch solar charger for an overnighter, thin pair of thermals, bigger pack (20L is smaller than a school kid's book bag).

I am not familiar with that area but suggest planning for a large temperature change and or snow/rain. Any location with John Muir in the title could have snow this time of year.

Also, ditch 1/2 your Clif bars and take some oatmeal or whatever.

Last but not least...take a friend who has a tent incase you get wet/cold in your hammock.

Last edited:
I may have overlooked it but I didn't see anything like a good rain fly, sleeping bag, foam sleeping pad for insulation, down or synthetic jacket, headlamp, stove/fuel (fall camping sucks for smokey fires from wet wood), rain gear at least a poncho, cell phone with GPS, ditch solar charger for an overnighter, thin pair of thermals, bigger pack (20L is smaller than a school kid's book bag).

I am not familiar with that area but suggest planning for a large temperature change and or snow/rain. Any location with John Muir in the title could have snow this time of year.

Also, ditch 1/2 your Clif bars and take some oatmeal or whatever.

Last but not least...take a friend who has a tent incase you get wet/cold in your hammock.
I am going with 3 other guys and we are all carrying a focus in our bags for example my friend John is carrying the sleeping pads and such. Alright Ill make the adjustments to my pack as well as the others. Thank you

@BJett can probably give advice on the area but I'll chime in a little on your gear list..

That's a pretty detailed approach for just an overnight but that's probably a good thing if you're new to backpacking.. I'm no expert myself but I'll throw in my 2 cents and I'll try to avoid making suggestions that just involve spending money on replacing gear you have with other stuff. A few observations:

- You can save half a pound by replacing your steel water bottle with a reusable plastic one (like a Poland Spring or Smartwater type) | Alright I can do that!

- If you eat 10 cliff bars on an overnight, you will never want to eat a cliff bar ever again. I see you want to be regimented and are very into survival, but it's okay to bring some foods you like so you enjoy yourself out there. | The cliff bars arent solely for me but I will take this to mind.

- I don't see any sleeping bag or quilt on your list. Even though you are further south and it probably only gets down into the 40's this time of year, that SOL emergency blanket is not going to keep you comfortable. (Also why do you have 2 hammocks on your list?) | I do have sleeping bags i must have forgotten them on the list thank you for pointing it out!

- I'd suggest adding a hygiene kit to your list. Simply a zip lock bag with a travel toothbrush and travel tooth paste tube, a small travel package of wet wipes that can be used on face (or butt) and a small travel thing of Purel. You don't want to be pooping in the woods and then have to go prepare food without having some hand sanitizer imo. You should also have a trowel for burying your poop. | A sanitary kit is being taken however it wast in my pack so I never added it to my list, but I get where you are coming from. Also we do have an entrenching tool for the poop.

- I don't see anything about clothing which is one of the most important decisions on what to pack. Also if it's hunting season out there I'd wear something bright orange, like a hat or beanie. | Clothes were not the buggest concern but we do have bright orange hats and paracord straps for our bags. I did check the hunting seasons for that area and the only game available will be small game, regardless we will be taking safety to heart.

- For emergency gear repairs, I'd make sure you have some duct tape (either a tiny backpackers roll or some wrapped around a trekking pole or something. Also helpful if you get any hot spots or blisters on your feet. | We are taking 30 feet of gorilla tape per person for repairs. Blister care is huge is my trek buddies Joseph's head he is planning on taking extra care for our blisters alone.

- If that pack you are using doesn't have a rain cover, I'd put all your stuff in a trash compactor bag inside your pack in case it rains. Do you have a rain jacket or poncho for yourself? A poncho can cover both you and the pack if your pack doesn't have a rain cover. | I will be wearing a poncho and we will be water sealing out important gear. I should have mentioned that the gear list for myself is very incomplete.

- make sure you have one or two large ziplock bags for carrying out your garbage. | Dint think of this thank you!

- btw - you have your matches listed as 2.2 lbs, I'm sure you meant oz. | Haha thanks for pointing that out.

- do you have a bear bag and cordage to hang your food at night? | I myself will have plenty of para-cord to hang our bags a nice 20-30ft away and high. From what I read the bear activity is low in that area but none the less we will make sure to keep an ear out.

My last tip... Bring some potato chips.. They are tasty and work as a nice fire accelerant. | Never knew this, i'll try it out.

Just my two cents.

I am going with 3 other guys and we are all carrying a focus in our bags for example my friend John is carrying the sleeping pads and such. Alright Ill make the adjustments to my pack as well as the others. Thank you
-pack size: you probably want to take your smallest pack that fits all your gear. I only mentioned it because it seems unlikely to get all that in a 20L.

@Natur vor allem ...good advice above on gear.
I just hiked the Honey Creek Loop on Saturday. Its a burly hike with a backpack but its one of the best hikes around. The Burnt Mill loop has a couple of great campsites along the Clear Fork River. The JMT section was added more recently, haven't hiked that yet.
Post pics!

I second @Vegan.Hiker's comment on the Clif bars. I'm a cyclist, and I rode 160 miles in a day once and only brought Clif bars to eat. After having 3 or 4, they started to feel like rocks in my stomach, and I was probably only a third of the way into the ride. Fortunately, there were a few pit stops along the way and I was able to get fruit and stuff. Your body will thank you for a bit more variety!
I take Clif bars on our family backpacking trips all the time. My kids have come to think that saying Clif bar is like swearing. They cringe at the sight of them. When we are hungry the joke is, "dad's got a Clif bar."

This place sounds like a cool area. I would appreciate a micro trip report or something.