NASA has plan to defuse Yellowstone (for real)

Rockskipper

No ETA
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170817-nasas-ambitious-plan-to-save-earth-from-a-supervolcano

They believe the most viable solution could be to drill up to 10km down into the supervolcano, and pump down water at high pressure. The circulating water would return at a temperature of around 350C (662F), thus slowly day by day extracting heat from the volcano. And while such a project would come at an estimated cost of around $3.46bn (£2.69bn), it comes with an enticing catch which could convince politicians to make the investment.

“Yellowstone currently leaks around 6GW in heat,” Wilcox says. “Through drilling in this way, it could be used to create a geothermal plant, which generates electric power at extremely competitive prices of around $0.10/kWh. You would have to give the geothermal companies incentives to drill somewhat deeper and use hotter water than they usually would, but you would pay back your initial investment, and get electricity which can power the surrounding area for a period of potentially tens of thousands of years. And the long-term benefit is that you prevent a future supervolcano eruption which would devastate humanity.”

Ok, so the environmental clan ties the drilling phase up in the courts for a millennium. Then they tie up the transmission line phase in the courts for another millennium.
What was the original plan? Where is this super volcano anyway? Has anyone seen it?
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I really do not think this is a good idea. With the new GES systems, you can put Geothermal anywhere. Plus that is a huge waste of freshwater. Not to mention the geological disaster this could cause but rapid onset of cooling rock by artificially injected water. I could think of a million things I could spend that budget on that are needed far more at this point than this silly idea. We are not knowledgeable enough to be geoengineering the planet at this point in human history. Just because we can do something, does'nt always me that we should. Its probably the reason the aliens have passed on us. :help:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Has anyone had a knee replaced, and still backpacks? General Discussion 10
TheMountainRabbit Report: Grizzly 399 has emerged from the den — with one cub General Discussion 2
Parma Has Anyone Here Done Alta Via 1? Trip Planning 25
regehr maze road has a sand dune Trip Planning 14
F It has begun - Hiking Baja's El Camino Real Backpacking 7
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
ADubs Looking for info from anyone who has done the Egypt loop and exited via 25mile wash (Escalante). Trip Planning 3
DrNed Has Anyone Used The Bivystick? Gear 11
LarryBoy Caltopo Has a New Android App. General Discussion 11
Artemus Monsoon has Started ! Trip Planning 2
Rockskipper Has anyone driven the Denali road to Wonder Lake in their own vehicle? General Discussion 11
Perry Wow! This has me rethinking my gear choices... Trip Planning 26
Bob Which City in the USA has the most variable weather? General Discussion 0
Laura Anyone know if the rockfall on HWY 89 out of Page has been cleared yet? General Discussion 6
Waynee-ack Has anyone used a Hammock? Gear 12
Nick The forum has taken over General Discussion 7
fossana Bears Ears NM draft Resource Management Plan open for public comment until 6/11/2024 General Discussion 5
fossana Public comment for revised Grand Staircase Escalante NM management plan (comments open 11 Aug - 9 Nov) General Discussion 11
B Sawtooths - Off Trail Route Plan Trip Planning 9
OwenM Backup plan for Needles in December? Trip Planning 2
U Glacier North Circle Loop Mid July - Looking for an alternative back-up plan for a 3-4 nighter Trip Planning 0
DrNed Plan B to High Uintas Backpacking Trip Planning 20
mattvogt7 Plan B Backpacking 12
fossana Plan B Rainy Day Backyard Exploring Hiking & Camping 9
jdfut66 Teton Crest Trail backup plan Trip Planning 5
Nick A Swell Plan B Hiking & Camping 10
kimbur96 Want to plan my first multi day trip, thinking Continental Divide NST Trip Planning 3
Perry Cuberant Basin On Sunday - Need Some Advice and a Plan B Trip Planning 6
Mike Jones Always have a Plan D... Hiking & Camping 3
balzaccom Plan to avoid Delaware North services at all times! Trip Planning 0
balzaccom File a hike plan? Not this way... Trip Planning 3
LarryBoy Help plan a February weekend in southern Utah! Trip Planning 12
Dave Grand Staircase grazing plan General Discussion 42
uintahiker Plan My Trip: Carlsbad vs Flagstaff/Sedona vs. SoCal Trip Planning 2
Dave Virgin River management plan General Discussion 0
jrh Help me plan my trip (while I'm on it!) Trip Planning 8
jdgibney Plan for Visiting/Shooting Coyote Buttes North Photography 6
jdgibney Help Me Plan Our Trip! Trip Planning 40
uintahiker Resources used to find/plan a trip Trip Planning 16