My next camera will be a full frame. Which one for video?

Which full frame do you recommend for my needs?

• Sony a7

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

steve

I use my cameras 99% for shooting video, 1% for photography. I keep finding myself needing a wider lens to capture more of my subjects in small areas. It's time for a full frame.

Apart from a nifty 50, I don't have any fantastic lenses, so I can pretty much go to any platform I want. I've done a bit of research on a few different models. Here's where my brain is.

Canon 6D
- cheap for a FF
- shoots good video
- incredible selection of lenses available
- lightweight
- magic lantern is available (RAW video if desired)
- no articulating screen
- wifi lets you control it from your phone (kind of makes up for the lack of an articulating screen)
- big and bulky
- no headphone jack to monitor audio (though there is an adapter you can get)

Sony a7s
- not cheap
- poor lens selection (and lenses that are available are expensive)
- mirrorless, so smaller and lighter (I like this)
- great feel to it
- fantastic image quality
- moving screen, though it can't flip out all the way
- yes, you can get an adapter to run cannon lenses, but it's $600

I'm open to just about anything. I have nothing against Nikons, but from what I've read online, they're usually not the 1st choice for video.

Here are my requirements
- full frame sensor
- able to shoot 1080p/30fps min (60fps or 4k would be awesome)
- excellent image quality
- under $2800 with a lens or two
- new (I don't want to buy someone else's messed up camera)

I'm leaning heavily towards the 6d. If I were to get it, which package would you guys recommend?

6d body only - $1600 after rebate
6d body with some other fantastic lens (I need a wide angle, wide aperture lens)
6d with 24-105 F4 - $2200 after rebate

Alone, that lens runs $1100, in the kit it'll only cost me $600. I'd rather have something with a wider aperture, but if that's a perfectly usable lens for video, it sounds like a better idea to get the kit.

shoot, I don't know how to add a poll once I started the thread.

EDIT: just figured it out

One thing about the A7s (though I shoot with a 5dmk3 so i haven't tried using it) the ability to adapt to basically any lens from any lens system means you can get some epic legacy lenses for dirt cheap and adapt to a huge ff sensor. Add to that the new 5 axis stabilization for the A7mk2 and it may be a winner. I do agree that they are bloody expensive though ;)

If I had the cash it would be spent on a 6d with the 24-100 lens. 24mm is pretty wide on a full frame. It's big, but not much bigger than my t2i.

I take photo's 99.99999% of the time though. I think that's what most of us here want. Shooting for video is a different ball game, so I have zero advice there.

I just purchased a 6D a couple of months ago with the 24-105 f4 and really like it. I only shoot stills, so can't answer to the video. It is lightweight and I have been happy with it, but am still learning to use it. I find that I often fall back to my 7D just because I'm losing light and I'm more familiar with the 7D. My goal this winter is to learn and USE the 6D for landscapes and the 7D will be dedicated to wildlife. I found Ken Rockwell's review useful when I was shopping for a full frame.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really wish canon had a kit that came with the EF 16-35mm f2.8 lens. That seems like the ideal lens for video for me.

Last edited:
I picked up a 6D yesterday and did a 3 hour shoot. A few initial thoughts of how it worked for video:

I LOVE having a full frame with no crop factor. Finally a 24mm lens is wide enough.

The 24-105mm f4 lens is pretty good, but I'll ultimately want one with a larger aperture. I had to bump up the ISO more than I wanted, even in a lit studio.

The lack of articulating screen totally sucks. When we're on a ladder, or shooting on a tripod that's super tall, or shooting down low, I have no idea what's on the screen, what's in frame, or where my white balance is. Same goes for super low shots. My T3i even has an articulating screen. Bummer they left it out on this camera. I can buy an add-on articulating screen, but at this price point i don't feel like I should have to do that. The 5d3 isn't any better in this realm either.

I thought the EOS wireless app would help me get around the lack of an articulating screen. I figured I could use my phone or tablet as a remote monitor. Everything was working great 'till I switched to video mode and it said "Video recording disabled when Wi-Fi is on". Dangit. Considering I bought this camera primarily for video, that feature doesn't help me at all.

I don't love the position of the ISO button. It's a niggle and not a huge deal, but I preferred how the sony has a dial for each adjustment point. With this, I have to hope I hit the ISO button. So far I've been pretty successful at hitting it, but I'd love an easier way to adjust ISO without having to look at my hand.

I still wish it had a touch screen, but I can get over that.

I love how it shares batteries with the 70d and 5d3. That makes it great to have a handful of batteries we can swap between cameras during a shoot.

Focus is fast enough, but nowhere near as fast as with the sony.

Apart from that, everything went well and I am mostly enjoying the camera. I'm still tempted to return this 6D go with a Sony a7s eventually, but I need to do more research on lens selection. $600 for an adapter to run someone else's lens seems a bit much.

Are there any other full frames I should look at for video?

One thing about the A7s ...[is] the ability to adapt to basically any lens from any lens system means you can get some epic legacy lenses for dirt cheap and adapt to a huge ff sensor.

I need to research this more. I love the idea of using older 35mm lenses. AF is nice, but not needed for most of what I do.

Congrats, nice price.
Have fun with your new toy.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One_M8 mit Tapatalk

I've only played with Nick, and Nate's 6d, but one thing I'm constantly amazed with that sensor is you can BLAST the ISO on that things with very little noise. That's the thing I'm most jealous of.

I don't love the position of the ISO button. It's a niggle and not a huge deal, but I preferred how the sony has a dial for each adjustment point. With this, I have to hope I hit the ISO button. So far I've been pretty successful at hitting it, but I'd love an easier way to adjust ISO without having to look at my hand.

Program the ISO function to the SET button. Then it's always under your thumb.

I strongly resemble that group. :)

Rather ironic since canon sells more cameras to prosumers than any other company.

Maybe we should all shoot with blindfolds on. :)

Last edited:
On the subject of shooting video with a 6D, what do you do to stabilize your shots, Steve? Do you have a steadicam or something along those lines? I'm going to be adding some services to my real estate photography this year including video walk throughs and I'm thinking of picking something like that up so I can walk room to room without a lot of shaking. I know I can reduce some in post, but...

I use a tripod for 95% of my shots. I do have a steadicam but it's got a steep learning curve. I haven't mastered it yet, it takes a lot of practice. Obviously using a lens with IS is a must with the steadicam. From time to time I do a bit of stabilization in post, but most of the time I just live with little shakes.

I imagine the a7II would be cool with a steadicam with its IS technology that's built in to the camera.

On the subject of shooting video with a 6D, what do you do to stabilize your shots, Steve? Do you have a steadicam or something along those lines? I'm going to be adding some services to my real estate photography this year including video walk throughs and I'm thinking of picking something like that up so I can walk room to room without a lot of shaking. I know I can reduce some in post, but...

My brother has been testing a hand-held gimbal that would be perfect for this Nick. I can get you in touch if you'd like.