My Crazy Google Earth Markers

Christian

Does anyone else have an absurdly cluttered Google Earth? I don't think I could scratch the surface of all these places I want to see in my life. A lot of it is stuff I found through research, cool online pictures, guidebooks and maps. Other stuff is things that simply look interesting from Google Earth. Especially interesting to me is the area between Navajo Mountain and Page Arizona, south of Lake Powell. It's restricted Navajo land, lots of known closed slots of A+ quality and a huge swath of what looks like unexplored domes, fins and deep narrows and possibly many, many unknown slot canyons.

Does anyone else have any places they have their eye on? Any crazy map markers like me? Just thought I'd share.Google Earth Map sharing.jpg

That's what my brain looks like, only the pins shift on their own and the notes slowly fade over time...

Reactions: Ben
I have not figured out how to use Google Earth to that extent yet, in fact, I have not played around with it at all. There are a few places I would love to visit, I just need to start cluttering up a map with them and empty my brains memory for some other stuff.

Have any of you made custom maps with Google earth? I've done a few them and transferred to a Garmin GPS.

I've done it before and I found it to be a bit of a hassle. I much prefer trimble navigator for creating routes and getting them to my GPS (phone).

I have a Garmin GPS that I love. I haven't tried (or heard of) Trimble Navigator. Does it have the amazing topo maps and POIs that Garmin Map Cards have? I have followed the most incredibly obscure trails on my Garmin that took me right where I wanted to go. I have no clue how they mapped all that stuff! Transferring waypoints is something I've never tried, but it would be nice to have all my crazy points above on a GPS so I could stop by them when I'm in the area. Just would want to be able to take them off if they are too annoying and cluttered.

Damn! Bring me on one of your whirlwind trips Christian!
Any time Sir. I just took a 10 hour canyoneering class from Zion Adventure Company and am ready to hit the tech canyons. Just have to buy the gear and wait out the deathly heat and monsoons.

My Google Earth is a crazy jumble of waypoints, too.

AWESOME! :) Love the names on some of those like "Cool rock texture" and "hike up this drainage looks kinda cool". Makes me feel better about my weirdly named smattering of waypoints. :geek:

I have a Garmin GPS that I love. I haven't tried (or heard of) Trimble Navigator. Does it have the amazing topo maps and POIs that Garmin Map Cards have?

Trimble isn't for everyone, but it has the best maps I've been able to find anywhere. I haven't tried Garmin Map Cards. Trimble is the software land surveyors use, so it's usually up to date and very accurate.

I have not figured out how to use Google Earth to that extent yet, in fact, I have not played around with it at all. There are a few places I would love to visit, I just need to start cluttering up a map with them and empty my brains memory for some other stuff.
I like to compare my brain to a shelf. There is only so much space to store things. As I slide things on the front of the shelf It pushes stuff off the back. Gone forever.I wish I had a larger shelf...

I like to compare my brain to a shelf. There is only so much space to store things. As I slide things on the front of the shelf It pushes stuff off the back. Gone forever.I wish I had a larger shelf...

That is a good way to think of it... I usually compare my mind to that deep dark scary place you want to explore but are to afraid to venture too... or like a computer's hard drive, only so much space to store information. I have learned that just like a computer's hard drive, the deleted info is not gone forever, it is still there somewhere. This realization has come from working with people with Alzheimer's. Some of the things they remember from way back when they were a child. But that is a topic for another thread...

Back to your regularly schedualed postings...

That is a good way to think of it... I usually compare my mind to that deep dark scary place you want to explore but are to afraid to venture too... or like a computer's hard drive, only so much space to store information. I have learned that just like a computer's hard drive, the deleted info is not gone forever, it is still there somewhere. This realization has come from working with people with Alzheimer's. Some of the things they remember from way back when they were a child. But that is a topic for another thread...

Back to your regularly schedualed postings...
I might be a little weird about things I can remember. I can tell you all of my locker combinations from middle school through high school. But I can't remember to take the trash to the curb and I loose my car keys almost weekly. It drives my wife crazy, so I guess it's not all bad...;)

I might be a little weird about things I can remember. I can tell you all of my locker combinations from middle school through high school. But I can't remember to take the trash to the curb and I loose my car keys almost weekly. It drives my wife crazy, so I guess it's not all bad...;)

I suffer from a simular disposition, I cant remember anything my wife tell me to do, ie the hunny do list, but I can remember all the important dates for the family, ie anniversery, b-days, etc. I have even resorted to writing a list when she wants me to do specific things, the ongoing problem with that... I have to remember to look at the list... yea it drives her nuts too. But I can remember all the places I see on maps, etc that I want to go explore.

So as per topic of this thread, I need to learn to use the google map's features more so I can start a cluster of my own.