Most Miles Hiked in a Day

Parma

@parma26
OK, I want to know what some of all y'all have done:
1. What's the most miles you've hiked in one day?
2. What's the most miles you've backpacked in one day (carrying a pack of 25+ lbs...why 25...because that's what my pack is at a minimum...deal with it you ultra lighters)?

My answers:
1. 20 miles- Hiked around Lake Mountain behind Saratoga Springs with my son for his hiking merit badge.
2. 13 miles- Ardeth Lake to Yellow Belly TH in the Sawtooths.

*edited to add locations

Last edited:
Day hiking:
18 miles, Union Falls and side trip to the Ouzel pool, YNP...

Backpacking:
12ish miles, Redfish Lake to upper Cramer Lake, Swatooth Wilderness Area

day hike, probably 17 miles for Half Dome.

backpacking, may be the 21 miles i did between Kootenay and Banff this summer.

what's the most elevation gain you guys have done. the Half Dome hike was 4,000', and the 21 miles previously mentioned backpacking include 5,000'+.

backpacking, may be the 21 miles i did between Kootenay and Banff this summer.

Ben, I thought we did more than 21 miles together on our last day in the Tetons when we exited out of Idaho no?

what's the most elevation gain you guys have done.

Elevation wise, the hardest thing I've attempted was the Great Range Traverse (~11k elevation gain) but bailed on my second day. So I ended up doing 7,146' of elevation gain on an overnight with about 90% of it on the first day. Had about a 30+ lb pack since there are no reliable water sources on that route and had packed for 3 days.

Gaia tracks
image.png

Longest day hike? I dunno, a bunch around 15 miles or so. Mt Timp felt like the longest but that's probably cause I got some AMS above 10k.

hopefully some one chimes in that's been on one of the @scatman death hikes.

Hey, I've been on some of those death hikes! :)

Day Hike - 26 miles, all but two of them off-trail through the Central Plateau of Yellowstone including fire burn, new growth and marsh, plus bushwhacking in the dark near one of the carcass dumps where the NPS feeds the bears in the Park. This is the first hike @Joey did with my group. He ended up shredding his shorts and hallucinating by the end of the hike. He's come a long way since then, now he's a backpacking monster. I know that I can't keep up with him anymore. I'm sure he has his own take on this hike and hopefully he'll chime in when he is out of the backcountry.

Backpacking - 17 miles

I'm certain I could no longer pull any of these off again. Maybe the seventeen miles if it was the last day and my pack wasn't too heavy and the trail was flat. :moses:

1. I was told we did a 50 mile one day hike as a scout, we were up before sunrise, hiked all day, and finished after dark, so maybe. I've had other day hikes in the 25-30 mile range. One in particular I can remember is the first time I went to the Upper Paria region with @NateGeesaman, we went down with only info from a Kelsey book and nothing else, you can imagine how that ends. at least 25 miles.

2. Backpacking I've had two trips this year where I've done 25 mile days. Type 2 fun.

We averaged ~21 a day on the JMT. The longest being ~27 miles from Evolution Valley to the top of the Golden Staircase.
My wife and I have had other 15+ to 20+ miles per day but the JMT was by far the most over a 12 day period.