Moonshine Wash 04.11.10

Tyler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Upon catching some lunch and leaving the Trin Alcove Bend area of the Green River (after doing the Northwest Fork of Three Canyon), Bill and I headed over to the Moonshine wash area, which runs parallel to Three Canyon, so it wasn't too far away. We immediately headed out for the canyon upon getting to the parking spot.

Moonshine was much more beautiful than I remembered it. The canyon, especially the slot sections, is one of the most beautiful around. Even my cheap little digital camera captured some decent shots. One part I forgot about was the amount of scrambling down choke sections of the slot. If you bring children, be sure you have at least two people that are secure enough to down climb 6' to 10' and you're capable of passing the kids down to each other on multiple down climbs. I'm going to post a few of Bill's photos here because they're so amazing and of course, they feature me :).

Click on any photo to see the larger version of it (better details)

We did the short-cut route to the beginning of the slot, rather than waste a mile or so of hiking through sand.

Beginning of the slot

It starts to tighten up

(Photo courtesy of Bill)

Pictures of the narrow sections

(Photo courtesy of Bill)

Bill, doing a down-climb

We finally arrive at the fragile sheephearders bridge

(Photos Courtesy of Bill)

After the bridge, the canyon starts to widen up

We decided to work our way down to the famous spring and old cement moonshine tanks that this canyon is famous for. This required us to exit up out of the canyon and do some cross-country hiking (brought to you by Bill's GPS) to the proper canyon entrance.

Going up the exit area

Walking cross country to the tank entrance

We arrive at the spring and tanks

Visiting the tanks was somewhat uneventful, but at the same time it was one of those things I'd been wanting to do for a while. I also felt privileged that I was able to see a cool part of recent history.

We ended up hiking the western rim of the canyon back. We had hoped to find an easy route to see the old sheepherders bridge from above, but we were too tired to make the effort. We'll save that one for another trip. This trip was awesome and it was cool to cover two amazing canyons in one day. I'm so thankful for my wife's support in being able to enjoy a great day hiking and for the sacrifice Bill made in extending his road driving time another 3 hours (each way) for this after being gone for an entire week. Thanks for coming along Bill.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
RyanP Moonshine Wash (Sat 3/27-ish) Meet Up (Members Only) 10
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 11
DiscGo Moonshine Wash [Video] Hiking & Camping 4
RyanP Moonshine Wash/Colonnade Arch questions Trip Planning 12
Udink West Fork of Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 9
IntrepidXJ Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 12
Scott Chandler Easter Weekend Day 2: Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 3
regehr moonshine wash conditions General Discussion 14
Nick Moonshine Wash & Keg Knoll Hiking & Camping 13
Aldaron Moonshine Wash Canyoneering 15
Tyler Roost Country: Keg Knoll, Colonnade Arch, Moonshine Wash, Goblin Valley Hiking & Camping 1
Nick Moonshine Wash and Colonnade Arch Hiking & Camping 4
Nick Three Canyon & Moonshine Wash Canyoneering 7
Christian Arscenic, Blarney, Wildhorse Window, Moonshine, Colonnade, A Secret Canyoneering 7
wanderinfinn Three, Moonshine, and Blue John Canyons Canyoneering 9
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
fossana AZ Strip bike exploration (Sunshine Trail/Hurricane Wash Loop) Everything Else 3
T Harris Wash/Silver Falls/Choprock/Fence Canyon Loop MLK weekend 2022 Backpacking 8
ADubs Looking for info from anyone who has done the Egypt loop and exited via 25mile wash (Escalante). Trip Planning 3
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
J Virgin Springs Canyon Cane Wash Loop Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Comb Ridge and Wash Trip Planning 8
Stephanie B Sixteen Room Ruin and Lower Butler Wash Hiking & Camping 15
cmgz Red Breaks from Harris Wash Canyoneering 13
Nick Beaver Dam Wash Trip Planning 3
Ross High Spur and North Wash Canyoneering 5
George_Washington_Hayduke North Wash Canyoneering: Sawtooth, Bingo, Hog 3, Hog 4 Canyoneering 2
kansas Butler Wash Road Trip Planning 0
C Looking for HCL 1901 Rock in Old Womans Wash Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
ashleyoutside Angel Cove Canyon - North Wash, Utah Canyoneering 0
Ross Hiking/easy canyoneering partner for Bull Valley Gorge,Sand Wash (Red Cave) & other spots Trip Planning 0
DrNed Black Dragon Wash Trip Planning 8
Desertrat Old Woman Wash Hiking & Camping 2
hatchcanyon Salt Wash Road Off Road 0
ram Bypass My A** ....Tanner Wash, Grand Canyon 2-20-09 Canyoneering 4
uintafly A weekend in North Wash Canyoneering 5
hatchcanyon Salt Wash Photography 0
natylka Backpacking: Hurricane Wash into Coyote Gulch of 26 miles back in May Backpacking 3
hatchcanyon San Rafael Swell - Cane Wash Off Road 4
Scott Chandler Cathedral Wash Hiking & Camping 6
Udink Cottonwood Wash to Nate's Canyon Hiking & Camping 3
Brewhaha Lost Go Pro North Wash 9.1.14 General Discussion 0
Dave Salt Wash field oil leak General Discussion 2
gnwatts Eardley Canyon & Straight Wash Backpacking 11
Udink South Red Wash Hiking & Camping 4
Udink Jackass Wash Hiking & Camping 4
D Harris Wash to Neon Canyon - Escalante Backpacking Backpacking 3
Udink GCNRA, Above LWHC, Temple Wash Hiking & Camping 5
D Harris Wash or other canyons for November Trip Planning 9
Udink Upper Old Woman Wash Hiking & Camping 2