Mojave Natl. Preserve: Midhills to Castle Mtns Nov. 26-28, 2021

John Morrow

n Nov 26th I headed for Mid Hills Campground. After setting up I did the short hike to Eagle Rocks. Near sunset I walked out to the unnamed mountains at the head of Black Canyon on the south side of the Mid Hills road. To summit Eagle Rocks requires climbing a pure granitic 40 foot steep face with a convenient vertical crack. Joshua Tree like.

Eagle Rocks
by John Morrow, on Flickr

Mid Hills

Route

Kelso Valley by John Morrow, on Flickr

view, evening hike to hills at left under Table Mtn.

On Nov 27th I drove the longish slow drive from the campground to hackberry Spring Road but stopped at the corral. It was a good staging location for a long neat loop across the northern slopes of the Hackberry Mountains to Guitar Mountain. Then on to Hackberry Mountain, before returning running the ridge over Peak 4925 (1501T). I went over to the Eagle Mtns in the evening by Eagle Well.

Hackberry Mountains

Guitar Mountain east bowl

tuffs

Guitar shape

view west

Over to Hackberry Mountain

Providence Mountains

Hackberry Canyon

great ridge descent

Evening walk:

petroglyphs

Up to Butte

On Nov 28th I relocated to the newish Castle Mountains National Monument adjacent to the Preserve. My goal was a loop crosscountry and on old jeep trails that feel more like trails. I took the excellent Walking Box Ranch Road to a high clearance spur at 1400 Meters that is NW of Castle Mountain and Linder Peak. My goal was to explore the area for future loop hikes while summiting the peaks on a crest walk and then return on the old jeep routes west of the crest. It was a fine hike. The scrambling can be avoided and a nice loop hike can be done lower around the peaks on the east side. Some of these little used jeep routes could be returned to single track trails in my opinion. They were little used.

Castle Peaks

Hart Mountain

crest

A couple of arches were fun finds.

arch and Avi Kwa Ame

solid gully ahead

descent route

barrel

Linder north side

late light

Castle Peaks crest

Mojave NP and Castle Mtns NM really aren't jaw dropping scenery. But there is something about the Mojave that grabs me over and over.

"Mojave NP and Castle Mtns NM really aren't jaw dropping scenery. But there is something about the Mojave that grabs me over and over."
Lot of truth in the statement @John Morrow!

Thanks for sharing John, I like it too. We should have listened to @Reef&Ruins and gone there instead of heading back home to a grey sky and an iced up driveway.