Moab with Kids

kris247

I'm heading to Moab next month with the family, and I'm looking for kid-friendly hikes. We're going to hit Hole-in-the-Wall (or whatever it's called) in Arches NP, and maybe continue on to Ring Arch. But, apart from that we have no plans. I'm open to pretty much anything less than 3-miles roundtrip, and it doesn't have to be within the NPs. The only requirement is that it's accessible by a low clearance car.

Thanks!

I'm heading to Moab next month with the family, and I'm looking for kid-friendly hikes. We're going to hit Hole-in-the-Wall (or whatever it's called) in Arches NP, and maybe continue on to Ring Arch. But, apart from that we have no plans. I'm open to pretty much anything less than 3-miles roundtrip, and it doesn't have to be within the NPs. The only requirement is that it's accessible by a low clearance car.

Thanks!
You need to for sure see Landscape Arch at the north end of the park it's only 2 miles RT and flat. There are also other arches on that same trail.

Thanks!
Also Delicate Arch it's right at 3 miles RT. Slightly up hill on sandstone with a drop off near the arch. It can be very crowded though.

My Kid Friendly Moab winter suggestions...

Arches:
The Tunnel / Ring Arch
The Windows primitive loop
Broken Bow Arch / Sand dune Arch(if its warm... awful shady in there)
Devils Garden Loop(s)
Tower Arch (check road conditions first)
Park Ave (great to do as a downhill point to point)

Canyonlands i-sky :
Grand View Point
Whale Rock
Mesa Arch

Outside the parks:
Fisher Towers
Corona Arch
Tusher Tunnel (you may need to walk a bit further in the car)

Sandbox arch is also a good hike in Arches, off of Kane Creek road across from the Amassa Back Trailhead parking there is a short scramble up to the base of the cliffs to see some nice Pictographs and petroglyphs.

We visited Moab last April with out 5yr old and 6mo old. There have been a lot of good suggestions already. Double Arch(in Arches near the Windows Primitive loop mentioned by Summit) is cool and kid friendly. My son loves dinosaurs and there are some cool spots to check out dinosaur footprints and fossils near Moab. There are some dino tracks just North of Moab (GPS beta N 38 49 54.08, W 109 45 40.44). It is a very short walk to get to them. The dirt road leading to the parkin spot(N 38 49 47.38, W 109 45 45.78) is accessible by low clearance vehicles. There is a really cool "dinosaur walk" in the Mill Canyon area. You walk through an area were you can see dinosaur and plant life fossils in the rocks. There are signs that lead you along the trail and explain what everything is. The parking lot( N 38 42 44.45, W 109 44 22.63) is accessible by low clearance vehicles. The last place to see dino fooprints is near the parking for the Poison Spider Trail( N 38 31 58.25, W 109 36 31.48). The tracks are near N 38 32 1.00, W 109 36 28.00. There is also quite a bit of rock art in this area if you look around for it. Some of it is right off the side of the road before you get to the Poison Spider Trail parking.