Moab/San Rafael Swell Trip advice-family

SEAlpine

Hi--

My family (myself, wife, 9 and 7 year old) are travelling from AK to Utah this October for 11 days. Our main focus is to float the Stillwater Canyon of the Green River for 5 days. I could use some advice on where to mountain bike in Moab w/ a 9 year old and also filling in a few days on the tail end of the trip in the San Rafael Swell area. Below is our plan as of now with ??s I have. Any advice is appreciated!

Sat, Oct 8

Depart AK. Arrive SLC 4:05 pm. Get rental car. Drive to Moab (4 hours). Stay at Inca Inn.

Sun, Oct 9

Rent mountain bikes from Poison Spider and bike where in the morning? Stay at Yurts at Dead Horse Point State Park. Bike at trail near yurts in afternoon/evening.

Mon, Oct 10

Meet at outfitter early am. Outfitter drives us to put-in at Mineral Bottom. Start float of the Green River in morning.

Tue, Oct 11

Float Green River

Wed, Oct 12

Float Green River

Thu, Oct 13

Float Green River

Fri, Oct 14

End Float. 11 am pickup at Spanish Bottom below confluence of the Green and Colorado River. Boat ride back up Colorado River to Moab. Arrive Moab no later than 4 pm. Shower and go out to eat where?. Stay where in Moab or get out of town and camp where?

Sat, Oct 15

Gear up for another few days camping (food, water, beer, ice) Drive to Goblin Valley? Camp off road just past Little Wild Horse Canyon or where? Explore Goblin Valley.

Sun, Oct 16

Hike Little Wild Horse Canyon. Drive to Wedge Overlook. Camp there. Where else to explore on drive?

Mon, Oct 17

Explore near Wedge Overlook. Where? Drive to SLC stay at hotel near airport.

Tue, Oct 18

Depart SLC at 8:30 am.

Regarding your float through Stillwater, be aware (if you are not already) that you will be floating a very crowded river section. The last time we did Stillwater (at the same time you will be floating it) we had a very difficult time finding camp spots. We almost had to spend the night in our boats, twice. Camp early and hangout, that will help.
Then again you might not see anyone. Ask Tex's (or whoever you are using) and they can tell you how many people have put in @ Mineral Bottom, and how many they are picking up on your pick up day.
Have a great time.

Sun, Oct 16

Hike Little Wild Horse Canyon. Drive to Wedge Overlook. Camp there. Where else to explore on drive?

Mon, Oct 17

Explore near Wedge Overlook. Where? Drive to SLC stay at hotel near airport.

Check out the Upper Black Box trails, Buckhorn Petroglyph panel, Calf and Cow Canyons, Government Caves, etc. All along the (or close to) the main road going to the Wedge Overlook.

The Brand Trails just outside of Moab might make a good morning ride for your family.

My favorite places to eat in Moab: Milt's, Pasta Jays, Moab Brewery

If you can get a campsite at Sand Flats, it's not a bad place to camp and close to town.

Regarding your float through Stillwater, be aware (if you are not already) that you will be floating a very crowded river section. The last time we did Stillwater (at the same time you will be floating it) we had a very difficult time finding camp spots. We almost had to spend the night in our boats, twice. Camp early and hangout, that will help.
Then again you might not see anyone. Ask Tex's (or whoever you are using) and they can tell you how many people have put in @ Mineral Bottom, and how many they are picking up on your pick up day.
Have a great time.

Hmm. I've floated the 3 canyons always with Tex but always in the Spring (mid-April to mid- May) and we never once had a problem finding campsites and I never felt that it was crowded. Is fall busier I wonder? I know the boat is full on our pick up date. We have 10 in our party.

The last few years we have floated Meander Canyon because we got tired of the crowds on the Green, on trips in September and October. Remember that Tex's is not the only shuttle service, Tag-a-long has taken a hit recently but I still see their boats a lot. We have had the river to ourselves in Labyrinth, but never in Stillwater. I should elaborate on my above post, we had difficulty finding available camp sites. It got worse the lower down we went.
It is spectacular, though.

Last edited:
If you can get a campsite at Sand Flats, it's not a bad place to camp and close to town.
x2 on Sand Flats. Nice place, and you should be able to find a spot. If your plans are to go over toward Goblin Valley, you could probably find somewhere along the way there that's more remote and has less people round.