Moab Area Fire Bans Coming?

All of New Mexicos national forests are currently under level 1 or 2 fire bans as well. Only a matter of time for southern UT.

When I lived in Moab, I was always happy that there wasn't much around to burn, at least not like my hometown in Colorado (Glenwood Springs). Smoke from any fires in the La Sals would generally go east and not affect town. Then we had the Big Rattle Fire up in the Books...the smoke drifted over Moab many days and left us all gasping for air.

All of New Mexicos national forests are currently under level 1 or 2 fire bans as well. Only a matter of time for southern UT.

Santa Fe National Forest and Carson NF will be closed any day now.:cry:

Southern Arizona has been under Stage II for a couple weeks now. No closure but petroleum stoves only with shutoff valves.

Welp Santa Fe NF pulled the plug... total closure of all 1.2mm acres for the foreseeable future. They had 80+ unattended campfires over Memorial wknd with stage II restrictions in effect....

I doubt they'll be the only forest to go this route.

Bandelier Nat’l Mon has closed all of their wilderness areas due to fire danger, like Santa Fe Nat’l Forest. Can’t imagine they will re-open soon.

Welp Santa Fe NF pulled the plug... total closure of all 1.2mm acres for the foreseeable future. They had 80+ unattended campfires over Memorial wknd with stage II restrictions in effect....

I doubt they'll be the only forest to go this route.

Yup and everyone here is choking on it figuratively and literally. Carson National Forest is open but I expect closures to roll North soon. It makes me nuts about the freakin campfires. If see anyone with one lit or hot I'm going to kill it.:timebomb:

Was just reading about 212 illegal or abandoned (!!!) campfires the rangers doused last weekend in Pike national forest. People suck.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/...ssued-saturday-portion-of-forest-lands-closed

June 9, 2018
The San Juan National Forest announced it is closing a portion of the forest to public access as a result of the 416 Fire and the Burro Fire in Montezuma County.

The public is prohibited from using Divide Road, Roaring Fork Road, Scotch Creek Road, Windy Gap Area Road, Spruce Mill Road, Upper Hay Camp Area Road and Hotel Draw Road. The closure includes Salt Creek Trail, Ryman Trail, Corral Draw Trail, the Colorado Trail from Molas Pass to Junction Creek, and Upper Ryman Trail.

“With ongoing aerial firefighting operations and unknown future fire activity, the closure is necessary to protect public health and safety and provide for firefighters’ safety during fire operations,” the forest service announced in a news release.

The Burro Fire is estimated to be about 100 acres with two hand crews and two engine crews on scene. No structures were immediately threatened.

The closure will remain in effect until July 31, or until rescinded. Extension of the time period or closure area might change depending on fire activity.

Violations of the closure are punishable by up to a $5,000 fine for an individual, or $10,000 fine for an organization, or imprisonment of up to six months, or a combination of the two.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
chandlerwest Needles Loop/Druid Arch, Moab Area Hiking & Camping 11
Waynee-ack Moab area Trip Planning 3
Tyler Arches National Park & Moab area camping March 2006 Hiking & Camping 4
Henk Hiking The Portal Trail, Moab Everything Else 2
WhozWutz Solstice in Moab Trip Planning 0
PaulMags Grand - Moab Route Backpacking 1
TrailScot New bus service to Moab and Blanding from SLC General Discussion 7
Henk Moab rock art vandalized General Discussion 1
J Dayhiking Moab's awesome geography, couple hikes to summits and rock art April 8-9, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
Stephanie B Grotto, Hidden Valley, and Moab Mastadon Hiking & Camping 2
blueeyes Devil's Garden, Moab Hiking & Camping 5
J Dayhikes GSENM, Cap Reef, Behind the Rocks: Deer Cr, Tanks, Sheets Gulch, Moab Rim Apr. 4 to 8, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
misSOULa Weekend in Moab Hiking & Camping 6
stevecochranephotography Corona Arch Moab, Utah Hiking & Camping 8
Brian Skibbe Moab, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP. May 2017 Hiking & Camping 3
swmalone Thanksgiving in Moab 2017 Everything Else 0
swmalone Question about Moab Canyoneering Trips/Guides General Discussion 8
blueeyes Canyonlands/Moab Jug Handle Bikepack Loop March 18, 2017 Everything Else 21
S Moab/San Rafael Swell Trip advice-family Trip Planning 6
TrektheWorld Spring Break in Moab Hiking & Camping 0
Craiger Camping around Moab next weekend General Discussion 6
Nick A busy day around Moab Hiking & Camping 13
Dave Remains found near Moab General Discussion 1
Ross Hiking road trip to Dinosaur Nat Mon, The Wedge + quieter areas from Moab Hiking & Camping 9
Scott Chandler I'm in Moab Now Hiking & Camping 5
Laura Good camping south of Moab Trip Planning 8
Christian Canyoneering East Blarney, Big Springs East, hiking to some less frequented areas in Moab Canyoneering 4
LarryBoy Moab-Hite April 25 or May 3 - Shamelessly Soliciting a Ride Trip Planning 3
N Video report Corona Arch, Moab. April 2014. Hiking & Camping 2
Kullaberg63 The rim of Kane Creek, Moab. Hiking & Camping 9
natylka Moab This Weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 0
DrNed Arches / Moab Off The Beaten Trail Trip Planning 2
Phill Monson Night Photography in Moab Photography 16
Scott Chandler A Spring Hurrah in Moab Hiking & Camping 5
K This weekend: San Rafael Swell or Moab? Trip Planning 4
Kullaberg63 Newbie living in Moab Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Scott Chandler Backpacking near Moab Trip Planning 4
IntrepidXJ President’s Day Weekend in Moab Hiking & Camping 3
pixie1339 Stolen Dinosaur Track In Moab General Discussion 3
Phill Monson Moab in Winter Photography 3