Misery Canyon just east of Zion - west or east fork?

Ross

Anyone hiked both the East and West Forks of Misery Canyon before they join and lead to the Barracks (Parunaweep). I wondered which is better to go down from a purely scenic and photographic viewpoint, ignoring any fun to be had from the swimming or rappelling element?

By your criteria alone, West is the more scenic . It is also more open to light, for better and worse. More diverse features also. Recommended that you walk past the exit, to the top of the Falls in Parunaweap, before returning and exiting up the standard exit, if that is your plan. Beware the heat this time of year.

I've only done the west fork on down. What a great canyon. You will not be disappointed. But yeah, the heat right now could be dangerous, especially on the hike out.

Thanks guys. Should have said, I'm thinking of going Oct if I can find a canyoneering guide to do it as I've little canyoneering experience - and as I want to exit through Parunuweep's spectacular canyon the one I'm thinking of would have the shuttle car at the top of French Canyon - so my issue will be is wetsuit good enough or do I need drysuit ad I'll be cold!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Should have said, I'm thinking of going Oct if I can find a canyoneering guide to do it, so my issue will be is wetsuit good enough or do I need drysuit ad I'll be cold!

A wet suit is fine. You will be comfortable enough to get the pictures you want. Sun angles are lower that time of year, but the lower canyon runs north-south, so late AM early PM should have some lighting on a sunny day

You won't be able to do the west fork with a guide. Unless they just ignore the whole guiding in the National Park since you start that one in the park or they could have you hike a ridiculous trek from the east side.
I've done each of the variations of Misery -- down the east and up the main exit, down the west and up to French -- and I have to say the best, in terms of beauty is regular route through Misery. That would be down the west fork and then downstream through Parunuweep's Narrows, side trip to Labyrinth Falls, then out at the main exit or Powell Plaque. Going upstream in Parunuweep to French is an awesome trip and worth doing. However, in my opinion the downstream sections are more fun and more scenic.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Howells Outdoors Not Miserable in Misery Canyon Canyoneering 5
I Misery Canyon - next week (wetsuits?) Trip Planning 5
I Zion Trip Planning: Misery Canyon --> The Barracks --> West Rim Trip Planning 5
Ross Invite Pine Creek, Misery Canyon or The Subway (Zion area) Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Ross Anyone want to do East Fork Fat Man's Misery-Barracks-Labyrinth Falls Oct 15 (tues) Trip Planning 0
Nick Misery Canyoneering 19
Bill Fat Mans Misery 5.2013 Canyoneering 3
Tyler Fat Man's Misery teammates needed next weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Howells Outdoors Fat Man's Misery - 4/6/2013 Canyoneering 12
Howells Outdoors Fat Man's Misery (5.2012) Canyoneering 2
Bill Fat Mans Misery 9.2012 Canyoneering 4
lostlandscapes Fat Man's Misery -- 9/14/12 Canyoneering 6
Nick Fat Man's Misery, Zion Canyoneering 28
Ross Trip partners for south-west Utah (Pine Creek,Misery,Bull Valley etc) Trip Planning 0
L Stevens Canyon - Baker Trail water availability Trip Planning 7
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 4
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
Titans Tricked in the canyon! Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
A Bowdie Canyon Trip Planning 10
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
Bob The New Grand Canyon Trip Planning 1
WhozWutz Invite Horse Canyon Needles Meet Up (Members Only) 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 2 - Tour de Canyon Country. Swell Times Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 1 - Tour de Canyon Country. Cedar Mesa. Hiking & Camping 8
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
F Grand Canyon hermits rest to granite rapids to bright angel Trip Planning 10
gnwatts Stillwater Canyon On The Water 11
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
J Info needed: Bown's Canyon, Long Canyon Trip Planning 8
Gretchen Millward Cheesebox Canyon, Oct. 2022 Backpacking 14
Stickerbumper Fold Canyon Middle Exit Trip Planning 9
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
D Horseshoe Canyon or San Rafael Swell? Trip Planning 9
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
T Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon Trip Planning 65