Mirror Plateau and the Lamar River Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 7, 2016

SK ....... Got you beat by a year ..... Heading out again this summer. House building is about wrapped up, after 3 years of not many interesting trips.....as I'd say

Amazing!!
What a beautiful trip and so exciting to see so much wildlife! Glad no one was eaten or trampled. :p

Amazing!!
What a beautiful trip and so exciting to see so much wildlife! Glad no one was eaten or trampled. :p
Thanks @Miya. I've always considered it a plus when no one on one of my trips gets eaten or trampled. :D

I did have an ornery bull moose years ago come through our campsite while canoeing on Yellowstone Lake trying to trample everything and everybody but that is another story.

Last edited:
Thanks @Miya. I've always considered it a plus when no one on one of my trips gets eaten or trampled. :D

I did have ornery bull moose years ago come through our campsite while canoeing on Yellowstone Lake trying to trample everything and everybody but that is another story.

Oh jeesh! Well it sounds like a good one!

Working my way into Jellystone somehow this year I hope. Tough figuring where with a million plus acres. I'm leaning towards Two Ocean Plateau from Heart Lake, Thoroughfare, CDT, South Boundary. That area is very far from anything. My significant other knows somethings up cause she finds my head buried in Back Country Post, Caltopo, or watching Joey videos.

Working my way into Jellystone somehow this year I hope. Tough figuring where with a million plus acres. I'm leaning towards Two Ocean Plateau from Heart Lake, Thoroughfare, CDT, South Boundary. That area is very far from anything. My significant other knows somethings up cause she finds my head buried in Back Country Post, Caltopo, or watching Joey videos.

That would be an excellent route @SKLund. You won't see too many folks back on Two Ocean Plateau. I hope you are able to pull your trip off.

Watched Joey's video on this trip recently and wanted to get a better idea of this area in Yellowstone. Used caltopo and his video description to get an overview of the route. Somehow in my Google search stumbled across backcountrypost.com and saw this great narrative of the same trip. Thank you so much for sharing.

At a stage in my life where I can begin to plan some more extended backpacking trips in the west. Not ready for a route like this but inspired by the adventure. Maybe someday. Great stuff!!

Watched Joey's video on this trip recently and wanted to get a better idea of this area in Yellowstone. Used caltopo and his video description to get an overview of the route. Somehow in my Google search stumbled across backcountrypost.com and saw this great narrative of the same trip. Thank you so much for sharing.

At a stage in my life where I can begin to plan some more extended backpacking trips in the west. Not ready for a route like this but inspired by the adventure. Maybe someday. Great stuff!!

Welcome to BCP @David Rule. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip report. Hopefully, Yellowstone is on your bucket list of places to explore in the future. If you have any further questions about the route, just let me know and I'll be glad to answer them.

Welcome to BCP @David Rule. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip report. Hopefully, Yellowstone is on your bucket list of places to explore in the future. If you have any further questions about the route, just let me know and I'll be glad to answer them.
Thank you for the welcome @scatman . Yellowstone is very much on my bucket list. Working on some tentative plans for two weeks in the Tetons's and Yellowstone next year. Thinking that something in the Shoshone Lake area would be a good place to start for someone new to backpacking in that area. Not sure about the Tetons's yet but looking forward to new challenges. Love the backpacking here in the east but the views and wildlife out west are calling.

Thank you for the welcome @scatman . Yellowstone is very much on my bucket list. Working on some tentative plans for two weeks in the Tetons's and Yellowstone next year. Thinking that something in the Shoshone Lake area would be a good place to start for someone new to backpacking in that area. Not sure about the Tetons's yet but looking forward to new challenges. Love the backpacking here in the east but the views and wildlife out west are calling.

I think you'll enjoy the loop around Shoshone Lake. There are many nice campsites along the lake. The Shoshone Geyser Basin on the west side of the lake is the gem of this hike. If you don't mind hiking off-trail, cross Shoshone Creek at the basin and check out more thermal features on the west side of the creek and on up the hill. Also, there is a waterfall on Fall Creek that might be worth your time to go see.

I'm trying to look up the permits for this hike, since I have such an early slot in the lottery today. But the campsites for 3O1 & 5P7 are non-existent. I assume because they are in the special management area, but does this mean I would have to call the backcountry office? Do they possibly not allow the general public to reserve these sites anymore? I searched mid-July, which is a time frame when the NPS says it is open.

I'm trying to look up the permits for this hike, since I have such an early slot in the lottery today. But the campsites for 3O1 & 5P7 are non-existent. I assume because they are in the special management area, but does this mean I would have to call the backcountry office? Do they possibly not allow the general public to reserve these sites anymore? I searched mid-July, which is a time frame when the NPS says it is open.

Should be able to still reserve them through the main backcountry office in Mammoth. Give them a call.

Now years ago just hiked up the North Absaroka Crest from Pahaska Tepee to the Lamar Valley with no permits and no problems. Great Wild Country and nobody around. Hiked from the crest to the Lamar Valley in oneday. Met just a few rangers, told them what was doing, no problems and had great conversations with them. Much wild country in the GYE where hardly anybody ever goes. Best to you!