Millvue Peak - September 2, 2024

scatman

With the Subaru all fixed up now, the one armed Scat was back in business today. Sheila joined me on a hike to the summit of Millvue Peak up Millcreek Canyon this morning. I saw two separate moose, but wasn't quick enough to get my camera off my shoulder clip to get pictures of either one of them. :( We also ran into a total of five grouse which led to three separate almost shite my britches moments. :D It was pleasant heading up, but with a forecast of 95 in the valley today, it began heating up on our way back down. Wildflowers have obviously peaked, but there were some geraniums, asters, and showy goldeneye still blooming along our route. We had the whole ridge and summit to ourselves this morning as Millvue isn't that popular of a destination.

01.jpg
We'll be heading up to the pass for this hike

02.jpg
Sticky geranium

03.jpg
Showy goldeneye

04.jpg
I saw one of those Mylar balloons off-trail, so I went and fetched it to dispose of later.

05.jpg
Sheila patiently waiting for me to return to the trail

06.jpg
Richardson's geranium

07.jpg
Aster

09.jpg
White aster

10.jpg
Yellows salsify going to seed

11.jpg
Okay, what we've got here is the south ridgeline of Grandeur Peak, then pieces of the Rio Tinto copper mine on the Oquirrh
Range, and beyond that Deseret Peak of the Stansbury Range

13.jpg
A bald-faced hornets' nest

14.jpg
Trail up to the Millcreek Ridge

17.jpg
More showy goldeneye amongst thimbleberry leaves

18.jpg
High enough now to get a good look back at Mount Aire

19.jpg
Nice stands of aspen on this route

20.jpg
Just a couple of lupines left today

21.jpg
A view down Millcreek Canyon and Grandeur Peak at the end of the Millcreek Ridge

22.jpg
Long morning shadow

23.jpg
View of Church Fork Peak to the west

24.jpg
Can just make out the large cairn at the summit of Church Fork, and the white yurt just off the summit to the southeast

25.jpg
Mount Aire and unnamed peak 8490

26.jpg
Silhouette of the first grouse that scared the hell out of me.

28.jpg
Sheila, making her way along the Millcreek Ridge

29.jpg
Another grouse that got me

30.jpg
Gobblers Knob

30b.jpg
Summit of Gobblers

31.jpg
And the summit of Mount Raymond

32.jpg
Millvue summit shot

33.jpg
BCP greetings! (@Ugly and @Rockskipper)

34.jpg
35.jpg
The workhorses of this hike - Canon Rebel T2i and a Canon Powershot SX100 IS

36.jpg
Had to include this zoomed view to the north of Francis Peak in the far distance. Francis is where I proposed to my wife with the
sun setting over the Great Salt Lake over 27 years ago. My guess is that she should have said "No!" Make that a "Hell No!" :D
Oh, and Grandview Peak off to the left, with its landslide below.

37.jpg
Owl clover. We saw just a few of these.

38.jpg
Just love the quakies

39.jpg
Aster

40.jpg
Monkshood

41.jpg
And another Richardson's geranium

42.jpg
This was a cool purple butterfly

43.jpg
44.jpg
More showy goldeneye near the trailhead

45.jpg
Back at the Sube!

The End.

What ...no hornet pics?

What ...no hornet pics?

I actually didn't see any around the nest. We did see some on the summit though, but they wouldn't sit still long enough for me to get a good shot.

Last edited:
Did you bang on the nest?

Great flowers! When do those aspen typically turn gold? My son and I will be in SLC the weekend of Oct. 24 (he's planning to move there in 2025) and we'll want to do a few hikes nearby. I might bug you for recommendations as it gets closer! But in the meantime, when I saw your aspen photos it made me realize we might luck out and be able to see fall color there.

Great flowers! When do those aspen typically turn gold? My son and I will be in SLC the weekend of Oct. 24 (he's planning to move there in 2025) and we'll want to do a few hikes nearby. I might bug you for recommendations as it gets closer! But in the meantime, when I saw your aspen photos it made me realize we might luck out and be able to see fall color there.

These shots were taken in October on a Millvue hike back in 2013.
13.jpg
14.jpg

Yes, its official name. :D

It turned out to be a hot day. You'd think that I might be used to that by now. Heading up was actually quite pleasant other than the sun shining in my eyes all the time once we left the Elbow Fork/Lambs Canyon Pass. It really warmed up on our way down.

Back