Mill B North Trail - Big Cottonwood Canyon - June 15, 2024

scatman

I was privileged to have the opportunity to hike with @regehr, @Ugly and Simon today. The trail of choice was the Mill B North Trail located in Big Cottonwood Canyon. I had never hiked Mill B before, but both @Ugly and @regehr highly recommended it, so how could I go wrong.

Regehr was kind enough to pick me up on his way to the trailhead, and we met up with Ugly and Simon at approximately 6:30 in the morning to begin our hike.

01.jpg
Mill B North Trailhead information sign

02.jpg
A choice right off the bat. We went right.

03.jpg
Looking down on the S Curve in Big Cottonwood Canyon where the trailhead is located

04.jpg
I of course would take up the rear for most of the day. Nobody told me there would
be hills on this one. :)

05.jpg
Following Mill B North Fork at the beginning

06.jpg
Approaching the wilderness boundary

07.jpg
California ninebark was plentiful along the trail

08.jpg
Stopping for a quick stretch, and to let Scatman catch up. :)

09.jpg
Sun is beginning to hit the northern ridge of Big Cottonwood Canyon

10.jpg
Looking through the shadow towards the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon

11.jpg
Broads Fork Twin Peaks and the Cottonwood Ridge dominated the views on this hike

12.jpg
With some peeks of Wildcat Ridge thrown in for good measure

13.jpg
Looking across the canyon towards Mineral Fork and Mount Superior and Monte Cristo

14.jpg
Can't get me enough of the Cottonwood Ridge

15.jpg
Western wallflower

16.jpg
Wasatch Beardtongue

17.jpg
The infamous bikini pose for @Rockskipper! :eek:

18.jpg
Ugly enjoying the view

19.jpg
A look up the draw towards Mount Raymond

20.jpg
Our first run in with snow

20b.jpg
Some downfall on the trail to make @Bob happy.

21.jpg
Horsemint was powerful along some sections of the trail

22.jpg
Aspens lifted my spirits on the way up

23.jpg
More Mineral Fork for everybody

24.jpg
Just love the aspen

25.jpg
Spring Beauty

26.jpg
Canary violet

27.jpg
Reaching a trail junction at the base of Mount Raymond

28.jpg
A portion of Wildcat Ridge to the west

29.jpg
Enjoying the views of Wildcat Ridge

30.jpg
Turning around and heading to find a location for lunch

31.jpg
Lunch time just off the trail

32.jpg
I hauled my 75-300mm zoom lens with me, so I felt obligated to use it. Mount Superior.

33.jpg
Monte Cristo

34.jpg
Broads Fork Twin Peaks

35.jpg
The summit of Mount Raymond above

36.jpg
Another gorgeous view of the Cottonwood Ridge on our way back down

37.jpg
Back down the draw

38.jpg
You can see some of a rattlesnake in the shade at the center of the image

39.jpg
Along with it's rattle if you squint hard enough. :)

40.jpg
Looking back at Mount Raymond

41.jpg
White forget-me-nots

42.jpg
Hookers onion

43.jpg
A wild rose

44.jpg
More Wildcat Ridge

45.jpg
Ninebark along the trail - very plentiful

46.jpg
A white wild rose

47.jpg
Common yarrow

48.jpg
Back at the trailhead.

Just a great hike with wonderful companions. Thanks for letting me tag along guys.

Last edited:
Ninebark! I was way off!
I am not sure the rattlesnake is exactly believable.
Those who do not like snakes can just as easily believe we did not see a chubby 3 footer cruising across the snow. I only saw the last foot and a rattle go into the pile of pine tree, so surely I could have just seen a branch :roflmao:

That was a great 7 or so miles. I have some action shots and pics to add later.

Nice day out! Tapping into your knowledge of Utah flowers- a bit of thread drift. One of the highlights on our recent (hard to believe it was over a month ago now) desert trip were the wildflowers. With the help of a book that we bought and some online resources we were able to identify all but one that we noticed in the swell:_1320089-copy-2.jpg
The general form reminds me of the moss campion found in the alpine up here, but the flowers themselves make me think of something in the daisy family.

Nice day out! Tapping into your knowledge of Utah flowers- a bit of thread drift. One of the highlights on our recent (hard to believe it was over a month ago now) desert trip were the wildflowers. With the help of a book that we bought and some online resources we were able to identify all but one that we noticed in the swell:View attachment 131865
The general form reminds me of the moss campion found in the alpine up here, but the flowers themselves make me think of something in the daisy family.

Not sure on the type of flower. Perhaps some kind of buttercup? This was blooming in May?

How can it be the bikini pose without the bikini? I think you should wear one under your kilt next time, then you can do it right.

I think the bikini might be restrictive if I were to wear it under the kilt. You know I'm all about my freedom. :D Besides, I'm not sure the hiking crowd in Big Cottonwood is quite ready for that.

I will add a few pics.

We started early, so the shade was a welcome factor until more than a mile into the hike, when we got some sunshine.

Some lovely mahogany.
IMG_9201-1.jpg

More mahogany and the constant views of the snowy ridge dominate the photos.
IMG_9199.jpg

Rugged, rocky ridges.
IMG_9211.jpgIMG_9192.jpgIMG_9209.jpg

"Smile @scatman."
"I am smiling..."
The clouds looked rather dramatic at the moment too.
IMG_9212.jpgIMG_9220.jpg

As we climbed to the aspens, there were some banks of clouds to keep off the heat.
IMG_9243.jpg

These guys were following @regehr and I on the way up... and I would follow at a lengthening distance on the way down.
IMG_9237.jpg

Action shots.
IMG_9256.jpgIMG_9257.jpg

If you look close, you can see swarming gnats. We did not really have many bugs, but I think the bugs are on the cusp of getting worse.
The mosquitoes had not hatched yet, just these gnats that we ate a few of, and some flies.
IMG_9259.jpg

Careful, maybe there's a rattlesnake ahead, or maybe behind at this point.
IMG_9264.jpg

I have a similar picture here, because by this time, near the end I was slow. Some cramps in my actual knee... never had those before and very strange. I will need to start doing some more exercises. I tweaked this knee in the Needles, but this was the most vertical since then.

The Ninebark- whose name had evaded us- was so prevalent throughout this section of hike. It smelled great.
IMG_9286.jpg

Some thimbleberry, and the rushing creek.
IMG_9288.jpg

It really was a fine Saturday morning hike! I am glad we were able to go.

Attachments

• IMG_9253.jpg
    IMG_9253.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 0
Back