Might want to stay away from Virtika products

Rockskipper

No ETA

This guy thinks he's exceptional and allowed to go places/do things which damage the environment. He's not a slow learner, he's a non-learner. His company is Virtika, so vote with your dollar, or in this case, its absence.

From the virtika web site...

“Truly a bunch of misfit, rag-tag, miscreants. Someone should lock them up.” CONCERNED PARENTS EVERYWHERE

From the virtika web site...

“Truly a bunch of misfit, rag-tag, miscreants. Someone should lock them up.” CONCERNED PARENTS EVERYWHERE
That picture kind of says it all, eh? It didn't strike me as funny, but rather as the workings of a demented mind - lurid is the word that struck me.

It's good to see this, but I doubt it will stop him.
You're definitely right. I checked out his Instagram account out of morbid curiosity a couple days ago. The guy has no remorse at all. Completely unrepentant about the stuff he's done. And in spite of the repercussions he's faced, he just keeps doing more, like the very recent one of him taking a crap in the lake in front of the Maroon Bells. I can't comprehend people like that.

You're definitely right. I checked out his Instagram account out of morbid curiosity a couple days ago. The guy has no remorse at all. Completely unrepentant about the stuff he's done. And in spite of the repercussions he's faced, he just keeps doing more, like the very recent one of him taking a crap in the lake in front of the Maroon Bells. I can't comprehend people like that.

Shock value, unfortunately in this world of "look at me" gets him followers and attention. We're reaching the point apparently, where you've got to take (or at least make it look like it) a dump in Maroon Lake in order to garner the desired attention.

Anything goes.......do what you want..........anymore in this society.

I
Anything goes.......do what you want..........anymore in this society.

Not sure it's any more true today than before. Look at the graffiti throughout the world, from the walls of ancient monuments to the bark of towering trees. And don't argue that they didn't know any better. Mark Twain complained about this 150 years ago....

But thanks to social media ( and the traditional media) I think we learn about it more often. And I am delighted to note that this guy got caught and is banned for life.

I

Not sure it's any more true today than before. Look at the graffiti throughout the world, from the walls of ancient monuments to the bark of towering trees. And don't argue that they didn't know any better. Mark Twain complained about this 150 years ago....

But thanks to social media ( and the traditional media) I think we learn about it more often. And I am delighted to note that this guy got caught and is banned for life.
Bob's schtick is just to be negative and curmudgeonly. Best off ignoring that part.

Re historical graffiti - totally agree. If it's new enough, we call it vandalism; if it's old enough, we call it history :) See for example ancient Romans drawing crude symbols and scrawling crude slogans on buildings from the era... and that's from an era that barely any people were literate!

Bottom line: I'm not sure I'd say people's moral character is somehow worse now than it has been throughout human history, but social media certainly gives idiots a bigger megaphone.

Is it for life? And yeah, when I was a kid I remember riding horses with my grandpa in remote areas of NW Colorado and seeing rock art all shot up, as well as places where people had dug looking for pots and such. It's just a basic human disregard for everything.

Is it for life? And yeah, when I was a kid I remember riding horses with my grandpa in remote areas of NW Colorado and seeing rock art all shot up, as well as places where people had dug looking for pots and such. It's just a basic human disregard for everything.
My understanding from the article is that it's a temporary injuction until his case is actually decided... at which point I assume the judge will issue a permanent injuction.

Bob's schtick is just to be negative and curmudgeonly. Best off ignoring that part.

Re historical graffiti - totally agree. If it's new enough, we call it vandalism; if it's old enough, we call it history :) See for example ancient Romans drawing crude symbols and scrawling crude slogans on buildings from the era... and that's from an era that barely any people were literate!

Bottom line: I'm not sure I'd say people's moral character is somehow worse now than it has been throughout human history, but social media certainly gives idiots a bigger megaphone.

There's a big difference between graffiti in buildings and cities and graffiti in sandstone, rocks in prominent places or trees in national parks, monuments or federal/state land. One of these is meant to celebrate and protect nature and the other is a collection of human-made elements.

Graffiti in the city doesn't bother me, and in some cases actually enhances the "scenery." Graffiti in nature does bother me.

And no, rock art does not count as the graffiti we're speaking of in this context. It's use was completely different than the graffiti currently being left in nature.

The only "graffiti" I've seen in nature that I like is that by Montana Banksy. She's a true artist, and her work is always taken away eventually by the water and wind.

Here's a sample by the Yellowstone River (she lives in Livingston, is totally anonymous, and is a geologist):

small -hi res_BanksyTrout_D'Antuono.jpg

Last edited: