maze road has a sand dune

easy way to block off a section from people....

I thought that was the Black Box, Horseshoe too? And don't forget Pandora’s Box, Sandthrax...etc. etc.

Last edited:
I thought that was the Black Box, Horseshoe too? And don't forget Pandora’s Box, Sandthrax...etc. etc.
speaking of scouts in sandthrax, I never got much detail about the recent incident there, anyone have info about this?

speaking of scouts in sandthrax, I never got much detail about the recent incident there, anyone have info about this?
Was just some stupid people heard it was a easy canyon to navigate

There's a lot about it on the net, but here's some comments from KSL:

• M. Holmes · 12 days ago
    There were four leaders on this trip, all experienced at canyoneering and rappelling and with the proper equipment, water, Gatorade etc. with them. One leader sprained an ankle and stayed behind. Another was injured attempting to get out to get help when he realized they'd ended up in the wrong canyon. Lots of lessons learned, certainly, but gratefully everyone is safe, at least in part due to the knowledge and leadership of those adults on this trip, one of whom was my husband hiking with our son. They've done many slot canyons together previously and did not set out Thursday morning intending to hike Sandthrax. I'm grateful for miracles and for kind people who don't jump to conclusions judging others. Four great men were sharing their time and skills this week helping a group of boys to learn some new skills and have a great time. Ever so thankfully, it did not end tragically.
  • YourLiberalNeighbor · 11 days ago
    Most people who work with kids and teens are "great" people. But this seems like a "measure twice, cut once" kind of situation. Maybe it was overconfidence, maybe it was lack of attention to detail - whatever the reason, this was an expensive error in judgement. It's nice that you're defending your spouse on an anonymous message board, but as a parent I would want my kids to see their leaders demonstrating humility and taking accountability for their actions rather than getting a "great men" pass.
    • M. Holmes · 11 days ago
      No one is taking a pass on this one. My point was that the leaders were prepared and experienced, and they did not hike this canyon intentionally. Mistakes were definitely made, and no one feels this more keenly than those four men, who at this time last night and all night were doing everything in their power and calling on heaven's power to keep these young men alive. Trying to focus on the positive now and feeling extremely grateful for the amazing rescue crew.

• Andrew B. · 11 days ago
      They may have been 'somewhat' prepared, but the proof is clearly evident that they were not 'entirely' prepared. They descended the wrong canyon by mistake. This could have been easily avoided by using a compass/map and good route finding skills. I hope the leaders will take ownership of their failure and teach these boys how they made their mistake and the best course of action to never repeat it. So fortunate no one died on this one.

There's a lot about it on the net, but here's some comments from KSL:

• M. Holmes · 12 days ago
    There were four leaders on this trip, all experienced at canyoneering and rappelling and with the proper equipment, water, Gatorade etc. with them. One leader sprained an ankle and stayed behind. Another was injured attempting to get out to get help when he realized they'd ended up in the wrong canyon. Lots of lessons learned, certainly, but gratefully everyone is safe, at least in part due to the knowledge and leadership of those adults on this trip, one of whom was my husband hiking with our son. They've done many slot canyons together previously and did not set out Thursday morning intending to hike Sandthrax. I'm grateful for miracles and for kind people who don't jump to conclusions judging others. Four great men were sharing their time and skills this week helping a group of boys to learn some new skills and have a great time. Ever so thankfully, it did not end tragically.
  • YourLiberalNeighbor · 11 days ago
    Most people who work with kids and teens are "great" people. But this seems like a "measure twice, cut once" kind of situation. Maybe it was overconfidence, maybe it was lack of attention to detail - whatever the reason, this was an expensive error in judgement. It's nice that you're defending your spouse on an anonymous message board, but as a parent I would want my kids to see their leaders demonstrating humility and taking accountability for their actions rather than getting a "great men" pass.
    • M. Holmes · 11 days ago
      No one is taking a pass on this one. My point was that the leaders were prepared and experienced, and they did not hike this canyon intentionally. Mistakes were definitely made, and no one feels this more keenly than those four men, who at this time last night and all night were doing everything in their power and calling on heaven's power to keep these young men alive. Trying to focus on the positive now and feeling extremely grateful for the amazing rescue crew.

• Andrew B. · 11 days ago
      They may have been 'somewhat' prepared, but the proof is clearly evident that they were not 'entirely' prepared. They descended the wrong canyon by mistake. This could have been easily avoided by using a compass/map and good route finding skills. I hope the leaders will take ownership of their failure and teach these boys how they made their mistake and the best course of action to never repeat it. So fortunate no one died on this one.
Here's a video of the hoist rescue of the group by the Utah DPS crew. Impressive work: