Maze questions---Sweet Alice Canyon, etc

The drive to the top was fine in my Subaru. I personally wouldn't recommend it for a standard 2WD passenger car though (AWD crossover seems like the absolute minimum to me). There is no way I would bring an AWD crossover any further than the top of the switchbacks (it got a lot rougher right after that).

The drive to the top was fine in my Subaru. I personally wouldn't recommend it for a standard 2WD passenger car though (AWD crossover seems like the absolute minimum to me). There is no way I would bring an AWD crossover any further than the top of the switchbacks (it got a lot rougher right after that).
thanks!
the one time I've been down/up the switchbacks it would totally have been possible to get down in a Subaru, not sure about up-- but was quite some time ago

Updating this post as I exited out Sep 2023.

Exit out of Sweet Alice is very do-able. It's also well-cairned. The backpacker mag route is different than the cairned route. I surveyed both and walked both for a while. I would follow the cairns. Backpacking waypoints are good to get you to the canyon and 3/4 of the way in, but once the canyon starts to close down and once you start realizing that you have to slowly make it up, then follow the cairns. Don't follow the backpacking mag waypoints.

For the future person who does this: you'll know what I mean when you experience it. Canyon starts to close. Backpacking mag waypoints go left/NE running on the north canyon wall, but the cairns go right/SE running on the south canyon wall. I followed the backpacking mag ones to see where they go and there is a big ledge I could not get up and over. Maybe if you can get up and over it would've been easier than the cairns, but I trusted the cairns and it was a pretty safe route. Strenuous (as always is when getting out of a canyon), but safe.

There are Definitely one or two long steps/leaps where a larger stride is helpful. If with another person, you can pass packs. But overall a well laid exit out of Sweet Alice.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Four Days in the Maze, April 17-20 2023 Backpacking 7
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
RyanP The Plug exit of Pictograph Fork (Maze) Trip Planning 15
regehr maze road has a sand dune Trip Planning 14
JBPHXAZ Crossing Spanish Bottom from Needles to the Maze (and back) Trip Planning 13
TrailScot 10 days in The Maze - April 2019 Backpacking 22
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Deadman's Trail Hiking & Camping 1
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : The Harvest Scene Hiking & Camping 5
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Lands End Hiking & Camping 0
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Cowboy Cave Hiking & Camping 2
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 11
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Butterfly Bend and Chaffin Geyser Hiking & Camping 0
Stephanie B Suggestions for Maze Hikes and Range Canyon Intel? Trip Planning 2
U Maze District of Canyonlands question Trip Planning 15
Benjamin Hayden Looking for advice on Maze District, Canyonlands Trip Planning 1
Parma Favorite Maze Campsites General Discussion 1
wesleyS The Maze road conditions Off Road 0
G The Maze! 6-day backpack trip Backpacking 5
ramblinman The Maze in March Backpacking 4
RyanP The Maze Trip Planning 28
Udink Maze II Hiking & Camping 4
b.stark Maze 2017-But seriously, where are Steve's gummy bears? Backpacking 7
frahminator Journey Through The Maze - April 2017 (Day 1 of 5) Backpacking 4
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 2. April 13-15, 2017 Backpacking 8
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 1. April 10-12, 2017 Backpacking 0
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
Nick The Maze III Off Road 28
Udink Maze Overlook to Harvest Scene Hiking & Camping 3
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend III Hiking & Camping 6
MVS Jeep Driving in The Maze General Discussion 3
Joey 10 Days in the Maze (video) Backpacking 21
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend II Hiking & Camping 7
Joey Enjoying the Maze, April 2015, Part 2 Days 6 - 10 Backpacking 11
Joey Enjoying The Maze, April 2015, Part 1, Days 1-5 Backpacking 13
steve Invite Last-minute Maze Figure 8 packrafting trip this weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 3
Ross Six days in The Maze (with some Arches to warm up) Hiking & Camping 4
Joey Canyonlands's Maze and Fins Loop Backpacking 14
steve Maze help needed: Route into Water Canyon from Chimney Rock? Trip Planning 9
Bob Maze - Canyonlands Backpacking 10
steve The Maze Hiking & Camping 5
Kullaberg63 Devil's Slide to Horsethief Canyon; a northern Maze district packraft loop Backpacking 9
Joey 8 Days In The Maze, Canyonlands NP Backpacking 7
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend Hiking & Camping 11
steve The Maze District - in Video Backpacking 23
Kullaberg63 yet another maze trip report.. Backpacking 23
Aldaron The Maze Backpacking 19
DAA The Maze, Mar. '14 Off Road 17
Kullaberg63 Solo Maze trip, with a twist. Hiking & Camping 13