Lower Hackberry (GSENM)

This forum has started me thinking about some 2012 plans so I hope someone can help me out with this one! I would like to break my wife and daughter (she will be three by then) into an easy backpack trip. I have seen hackberry and hiked up a short distance and think it would be fun to hike up a couple miles (2-3) set up a base camp, etc. I have a couple questions
1. Does anyone know the typical biting insect season for Hackberry? I hiked yellow rock in may two years ago and gnats ate my wife alive is this the same in the canyon? Horseflies?
2. I understand cattle are sometimes in the canyon are there good springs for other than the stream for water filtering? How far up canyon from trailhead are these springs?
3. How much of a problem is quicksand?
4. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

Alright. So I've never been to Hackberry but I've spent a lot of time in the MOneymint, so I'm just giving you my opinions based on that.

I think the biting flies are only really an issue in the peak of summer. Maybe mid-June through August? I've done lots of spring and fall trips to GSENM, as late as early June and as early as Sept. and never had an issue with them. Although a really wet spring I think makes them worse. Mosquitos are a totally different story...

I wouldn't worry too much about cattle and finding filterable water. That's why you pack a filter, right? Springs are awesome if you can find them but pumping downstream from some poop isn't going to hurt anyone. Hell, I spent 3 days at Allsop Lake with Ndheiner drinking unfiltered, unpurified water from a ground spring with cow crap all around it and we were okay. :confused: I even pumped downstream from this: :lol:

Why a water purifier is such a good idea by ibenick, on Flickr

As for quicksand, it's usually just fun stuff from my experience. There have been two times where I was very suddenly swallowed up to the waist though so if you're walking in the river bed, I'd plan on that happening. Just don't leave anything in your pockets. I was walking in an inch of water on what felt like a solid river bed when this happened:

Sunk by ibenick, on Flickr

Last, from what I've heard of Hackberry, I'd pass it up and go do something like the Escalante River Gorge or Willow Gulch with the fam. The Gorge is super easy, really scenic and you start hiking right from the town of Escalante. 3 miles in gets you through a handful of huge, deep bends with 1000 foot walls. Even some rock art and big alcoves to check out along the way. I have several TR's through there if you'd like to take a look.

Thanks, the main reason hackberry was high on the list was just it's location. I could be at the trailhead in an hour and a half whereas anything in the escalante vicinity is a minimum of three hours and with the road over cedar mtn closed more like 3 1/2 but an extra hour and a half drive may be well worth it for a more enjoyable trip!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
fiber Lower Grand Gulch Pour-off Trip Planning 9
slieb Lower Muddy Creek in Winter? Trip Planning 7
regehr water in lower muley twist? Trip Planning 0
regehr Lower Horseshoe Canyon and Big Spring Trip Planning 7
J Scrambles in the Lower Colorado River Corridor AZ/NV; Dec. 11-14, 2020 Hiking & Camping 5
Devin Ashby The Lower Gulch - Escalante (Seeking info on the route) Trip Planning 14
RyanP Lower Death Hollow next week (late May/early June), miscellaneous questions Trip Planning 16
Stephanie B Sixteen Room Ruin and Lower Butler Wash Hiking & Camping 15
Boognish Lower Death Hollow Narrows April 2018 Backpacking 17
fossana Sheep Bridge/Lower JEM trail (Virgin, UT) Conservation Project General Discussion 5
T Dark canyon - lower blm portion with pack goats?? Canyoneering 2
pstm13 Texas Pass Cirque of Towers Lower Wind River Range August 2018 Trip Planning 7
Ross West Canyon quicksand (a/one want to go lower West/Face/Labyrinth August? Trip Planning 3
Strawsome Lower Death Hollow at it's finest Backpacking 3
DiscGo Lower Watermaiden [Video] Hiking & Camping 5
RyanP Lower Death Hollow, mid-April Trip Planning 8
Outdoors24 Overnight in Lower Spring Canyon Backpacking 5
Ravialdo Lower Muley Twist water situation? Trip Planning 13
Udink Lower Horseshoe Canyon Hiking & Camping 0
Kullaberg63 Lower Dirty Devil Backpacking 7
Jackson Lower Red Castle Lake Backpacking 4
scatman Lower and Midway Geyser Basins plus Buffalo Meadows - Yellowstone National Park - June 26, 2016 Backpacking 5
BJett Lower Escalante Trifecta - Davis Gulch to Fiftymile Creek Backpacking 8
BJett Lower Escalante Trifecta - Willow Gulch to Davis Gulch Backpacking 14
mattvogt7 Lower Escalante Packraft Loop Backpacking 12
Jackson Lower Spring Canyon in Winter Backpacking 14
Nick Floating lower Cataract into Glen Canyon Trip Planning 2
mattvogt7 Lower Cataract Canyon Loop Backpacking 16
Parma Lower Salmon River - Hammer Creek to Heller Bar On The Water 7
lostlandscapes Lower Red Castle Lake -- 6/13/15 Backpacking 19
IntrepidXJ The Lower San Juan River On The Water 8
IntrepidXJ Lower Grand Gulch Backpacking 5
toejam Lower Sisquoc Loop Backpacking 7
ram Crash Site/Lower Hades Canyon 2-15-15 Canyoneering 1