Little Wild Horse Road

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
I'm wanting to do a practice ride in preparation for a White Rim Rd trip I'll do later in the year.

I'm thinking about biking the Little Wild Horse Rd from the Goblin State Park all the way to Highway 24 / Factory Butte.
(about 30 miles)

I'd like to bike to Factory Butte one day, camp and then bike back the next day.

Anyone familiar with the road know if there are places to camp off the road near Factory Butte?
I also see Salt Wash runs behind it, which looks kinda cool. Does anyone know of sites
to see within a short distance of the Little Wild Horse road? (Other than LWHC / Bell Canyon).

Thanks

I'm wanting to do a practice ride in preparation for a White Rim Rd trip I'll do later in the year.

I'm thinking about biking the Little Wild Horse Rd from the Goblin State Park all the way to Highway 24 / Factory Butte.
(about 30 miles)

I'd like to bike to Factory Butte one day, camp and then bike back the next day.

Anyone familiar with the road know if there are places to camp off the road near Factory Butte?
I also see Salt Wash runs behind it, which looks kinda cool. Does anyone know of sites
to see within a short distance of the Little Wild Horse road? (Other than LWHC / Bell Canyon).

Thanks
Depends on what you want in a camp. I saw an endless supply of camps.

I tried driving it once but only made it to Muddy Creek. There were a few, but not an abundance of campsites. Check road conditions before you go and be prepared for some sticky stuff around Muddy Creek. Don't end up like me:

5056023588_197cdbc7dd_z.jpg

I tried driving it once but only made it to Muddy Creek. There were a few, but not an abundance of campsites. Check road conditions before you go and be prepared for some sticky stuff around Muddy Creek. Don't end up like me:

5056023588_197cdbc7dd_z.jpg

Muddy is a strange one. You never know where it will be. I've crossed it at high water. I believe there are several places to cross.

For this - just a clear flat spot. Thanks for the info.

Plenty of those. If you can't get across the Muddy I seem to remember some bentonite hills just east of there. Beautiful in the proper light.

You never know where it will be . . . . I believe there are several places to cross.
Does that mean it crosses the road multiple times at multiple places - depending on its flow?

Is this a spot to be concerned about driving through?

Some people have phobias of snakes, spiders, bears, whatever. Mine? Getting my vehicle stuck out in wild.

Does that mean it crosses the road multiple times at multiple places - depending on its flow?

Check out the satellite view of the crossing. It looks like it's one of those where you just scout the best possible place to cross. I walked out to it when I was stuck in the mud and the 'road' leading into the river was like a 10' drop, kind of like what it looks like on sat view coming from the south side right now.

Having only made it within 100 yards, I would still say yes, absolutely. They don't call it Muddy Creek for it's sturdy, rocky bottom.

Some people have phobias of snakes, spiders, bears, whatever. Mine? Getting my vehicle stuck out in wild.

Yes, I've seen several crossings there. At least that's what I recall (2007) If you're on a bike you should be ok. I remember one place in the spring of 2008 where the water was deep 1-2 feet, and clear. It was a sandy area and we were wading. It would have been no trouble to carry a bike across.

I walked out to it when I was stuck in the mud and the 'road' leading into the river was like a 10' drop, kind of like what it looks like on sat view coming from the south side right now.

So the road has that kind of mud before even reaching the river?

Nasty.

Thanks for the input.