Little Colorado shuttle / transport

Willem

Hello,

We are making a 5-week trip in Utah/Arizona in spring. We are planning on 5 multi-day hiking/packrafting trips in the greater Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Escalante, and Zion areas.

As we will use a rental car for transport and most of our trips will be from point A to B, the logistics are causing some headaches.

In the Grand Canyon - Little Colorado area, I am planning on a trip from Lipan Point - down the Tanner Trail to the Colorado - upstream on the Tonto trail to the confluence - up the Little Colorado - out via Horse Trail. Our permits have been approved by GCNP. We plan on 5 days to complete the trip.

I am now thinking to park our car in Tuba City and hitchhike to Lipan Point. I guess this works well in the States? (we should still look civilized at this point :) )
Getting back to the car from the Horse Trail trailhead: hiking all the way back to Highway 89 looks way boring. Is there any shuttle service in Tuba City we could contact?

Any other remarks/suggestions are highly welcome!

Thanks,
Willem Vandoorne
Belgium

Hello, just giving this a bump. Nobody with experience in this area?

Thanks!
Willem

Hi Willem, if you are on Facebook there is a public group called “Grand Canyon Hikers snd Backpackers” - pretty sure people on there would be able to advise about shuttle options.
Sounds like an amazing trip!

Hoi Willem,
The FB group is a great suggestion. Thought about how to help when you first posted, but I don't remember anyone recently backpacking the routes in that area on BCP. Some years ago @Ben had a report from GCNP, trying to hitchhike back from the North Rim, if I remember correctly, not so easy, might have been Europeans picking him up. Others had trouble in Capitol Reef last year, and they were advised to ask for a ride by standing at the visitor center and ask fellow visitors (which doesn't work for your route).

When you say we, you mean 2 people? Have you done a search on BCP to check previous trip reports from the area?

I'm tagging @LarryBoy about the hitchhiking- he might be able to give you an idea about how easy/difficult it would be to hitchhike from Tuba City to GC.

Sorry I got nuthin. Hitching on 89 is a hit and miss proposition. I've got a ride instantly before, only to have to wait like 4 hrs the next time.

You could certainly call the chamber of commerce in tusayan if you're still fishing for ideas. I'm sure someone in tusayan or flag would be willing to do it - for the right price.

It's tough around there.... Did little Colorado from Cameron to desert view way back in 1999... Parked car at end and had someone drop us off...

Hoi Willem,
The FB group is a great suggestion. Thought about how to help when you first posted, but I don't remember anyone recently backpacking the routes in that area on BCP. Some years ago @Ben had a report from GCNP, trying to hitchhike back from the North Rim, if I remember correctly, not so easy, might have been Europeans picking him up. Others had trouble in Capitol Reef last year, and they were advised to ask for a ride by standing at the visitor center and ask fellow visitors (which doesn't work for your route).

When you say we, you mean 2 people? Have you done a search on BCP to check previous trip reports from the area?

I'm tagging @LarryBoy about the hitchhiking- he might be able to give you an idea about how easy/difficult it would be to hitchhike from Tuba City to GC.
we were just hitch hiking from the Grandview trail head back to the South Rim campground, not so much of a stretch. we got rides one way from a group from Mexico who sat on each other's laps to make room for us, and from a couple from Switzerland on the way back.

Personally i would guess that the hitch hiking you're looking at could be particularly difficult.

we were just hitch hiking from the Grandview trail head back to the South Rim campground, not so much of a stretch. we got rides one way from a group form Mexico who sat on each other's laps to make room for us, and from a couple from Switzerland on the way back.
I spent a couple of years in Mexico many years ago, and one of my favorite memories of that country is the hitchhiking---everybody would stop and pick you up! Very different than here. Anyway, that comment brought back fond memories