Lightening Up: First Steps

I ordered me a Tarptent Notch and it finally shipped today (their seamstress for that one had been out sick). The Stratosphere looked appealing too, but I opted for the lighter Notch to have for my new one-man shelter. I may end up getting a Stratosphere 2 later on in the year to use on trips with my wife and kids since it can supposedly accommodate up to 3 and even 4 without the inner piece. I know their Rainbows are extremely popular though, probably because of their free-standing nature, but I really like being able to throw off the fly and gaze at the stars sometimes when skis are clear.

That Notch is about as sweet of a solo shelter that I've seen. I'm probably going to have to go with a two-person solution as my budget for this year is going to keep me at one this year. If I could do two the Notch would definitely be up at the top of my list. Give us a review once you had a chance to try it out.

That Notch is about as sweet of a solo shelter that I've seen. I'm probably going to have to go with a two-person solution as my budget for this year is going to keep me at one this year. If I could do two the Notch would definitely be up at the top of my list. Give us a review once you had a chance to try it out.
Definitely will do. The only reason I can afford any of this is because my grandmother passed last fall and was fortunate to receive a little bit of an inheritance from that. Had it not keen for that, I think I'd be stuck with my $50 3.5 lb solo tent.

If you don't yet have a down bag, I'd make that the next step. Teton Sports, Outdoor Vitals, and Paria Outdoor Products are all decent brands worth checking for more affordable, budget friendly down bags. Sleeping pad would be another thing to evaluate.

Other things to look at are water filter and stove, for example, Katidyn Hiker vs Sawyer and Jetboil vs BRS Stove+Titanium mug. I don't know what you have in regards to stove and water filtration systems, but I'm just showing how there are lighter weight systems out there for even lesser cost than traditionally more popular and heavier products. Tents, Sleeping bags, pads, and maybe packs are the only areas I've found where better and lighter will often be costlier than cheaper heavier alternatives.

Definitely will do. The only reason I can afford any of this is because my grandmother passed last fall and was fortunate to receive a little bit of an inheritance from that. Had it not keen for that, I think I'd be stuck with my $50 3.5 lb solo tent.

If you don't yet have a down bag, I'd make that the next step. Teton Sports, Outdoor Vitals, and Paria Outdoor Products are all decent brands worth checking for more affordable, budget friendly down bags. Sleeping pad would be another thing to evaluate.

Other things to look at are water filter and stove, for example, Katidyn Hiker vs Sawyer and Jetboil vs BRS Stove+Titanium mug. I don't know what you have in regards to stove and water filtration systems, but I'm just showing how there are lighter weight systems out there for even lesser cost than traditionally more popular and heavier products. Tents, Sleeping bags, pads, and maybe packs are the only areas I've found where better and lighter will often be costlier than cheaper heavier alternatives.

If you guys are looking for a good deal on a down sleeping bag and a pad, I saw that Costco Online (Free shipping) have this right now:
$119 - Klymit KSB 20 Down Sleeping Bag (2.59 lbs, so not UL but for the price?)
https://www.costco.com/Klymit-KSB-20-Down-Sleeping-Bag.product.100292250.html

$59 - Klymit Insulated Static V Sleeping Pad with Pillow
https://www.costco.com/Klymit-Insulated-Static-V-Sleeping-Pad-with-Pillow.product.100320380.html

Cool thing about Costco is that you can return it to any Costco store without any problems, if you don't like the product.

Last edited:
I you guys are looking for a good deal on a down sleeping bag and a pad, I saw that Costco Online (Free shipping) have this right now:
$119 - Klymit KSB 20 Down Sleeping Bag (2.59 lbs, so not UL but for the price?)
https://www.costco.com/Klymit-KSB-20-Down-Sleeping-Bag.product.100292250.html

$59 - Klymit Insulated Static V Sleeping Pad with Pillow
https://www.costco.com/Klymit-Insulated-Static-V-Sleeping-Pad-with-Pillow.product.100320380.html

Cool thing about Costco is that you can return it to any Costco store without any problems, if you don't like the product.

Our local Costco had a Klymit display in the store late last season. Had some pretty sweet getting-started-type packages.

Last edited:
I have the tarptent Moment DW with both the solid and the mesh inner tent. I used the mesh exclusively when I was in FL. It wasn't until I got to CO that o bought the solid inner tent for a little more warmth. I love my
Tarptent. Goes up in a flash, tent attached to fly so not getting the inside wet even when setting up in the rain. And it's light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed 800 fill 20 degree bag. I'm a side sleeper who turns often and this bag has been wonderful but it is a bit on the heavy side at 2 lbs 7 oz in the stuff sack.

My cook kit might be a candidate for weight reduction. I have a Sigg Svea climber stove. It's a bit heavy but my biggest problem is I tend to take too much gas along.

My initial reaction was towards the solid inner, too. Must be an age thing? :)

SS 1, Night 1. Breezy to windy night. Deep forest so not much wind at ground level. One vestibule door on each side open. Zero condensation on fly or tent body. Plenty headroom. I like it.
Wayne

Our local Costco had a Klymit display in the store late last season. Had some pretty sweet getting-started-type packages.
Klymit is local Utah as well. Factory store is in Kaysville.