Lens advice

Vegan.Hiker

I decided I want to swap out my Sony e-mount 10-18mm f4.0 for the Sony 20mm f2.8 pancake for backpacking. The main reason is that I want to be able to ditch the Peak Designs capture clip that mounts my camera to my pack’s shoulder strap and instead be able to just carry it in a ZPacks hip belt pocket like it was a little point and shoot. I’ll also save 8-9 oz between the size difference and ditching the capture clip. It’s more about storing it in the hip belt for me though.

Question is.. I’ve never sold camera gear before so i’m not sure how much you can typically expect to get back for a used lens. There is a photography store in my town that sells the lens I am looking to sell brand new for $850 and the lens that I want to buy for $350. I am going in Saturday to talk to the guy that does the purchasing.. Am I expecting too much hoping for close to an even swap.. expecting too little? I have no idea. Obviously condition is extremely important. The lens (glass) itself is flawless (from what I can see) but the body of the lens isn’t in pristine condition as it’s been out on trail with me quite a bit hanging from my capture clip. So definite signs of usage but no flaws that stand out to me. I also don’t have the box anymore if that makes a difference.

Also if anyone here is interested in the 10-18 i’d be willing to give an extra good deal to a fellow BCP member.

Last edited:
Every lens I’ve sold has gone for within 10-15% of retail. They don’t lose any functionality with use, so unless the body is badly beat up or it’s an outdated model I’d definetly be looking to get more out of it than a swap for that $350 lens if it were mine. If you can find some used being sold online it could help you price it.

Thanks, I saw some of the big stores like b&h selling it for like $600 but that’s not much less than I paid for it since I got a good deal on this online suspecting it was the overseas version that didn’t come with the warranty. Not sure how that affects resale value.

I know that @Nick and a few others on here use Sony e-mount so I wonder if I should post something up in the Gear for Sale forum first before I go on Saturday.

I have bought from B&H, used stuff is pricey, but you can return stuff within 30 days if does not work for you. I have sold stuff on Craigslist and Ebay, for reasonable prices.

I imagine you should be able to get at least $600 if not closer to $700 for that lens. I'd definitely list it here.

Wow that’s great. I was just hoping to have enough to cover the 20mm, so anything on top of that is gravy. Can’t wait for my camera to be teeny tiny.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
ANelson Backpacking with a 600MM Lens General Discussion 13
Dave FS: Canon 6D and lens Gear Market: Buy, Sell, Trade 0
Perry Ideas for Camera and Lens Carry Inside a Backpack Photography 11
kimbur96 Best lens for backpacking? Photography 14
Brian Skibbe Lens recommendation? (moose,grizzlies,etc..) Photography 10
DAA Selling my wildlife lens Photography 2
Duke Which wide angle lens do you use Photography 8
Duke My "Poor Man's L" Lens Photography 9
Artemus Camera Lens and Body Rentals Photography 4
gloo canon err 01 - lens contact dirty Photography 4
Bill How to Increase the Performance of Your Canon Kit Lens Photography 5
Nik Wide Angle Lens Recommendation for Canon t2i Photography 13
Waynee-ack Lens Flare? Photography 7
Nick Best portrait and all-around lens Photography 14
Deadeye008 What's your favorite backcountry lens? Photography 16
Ross Any Lake Powell experts who can advice on changed conditions at dramatically new lake levels? Trip Planning 3
marquiri Off Trail Advice Trip Planning 17
Nethos Maine/NH Paddling Advice Trip Planning 2
TeamJenkins17 Washakie Wilderness Trip Advice Trip Planning 17
D Backpacking Advice in the Winds, Teton Wilderness and the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 8
napatony13 SEEKING KANAB CREEK ADVICE Trip Planning 3
D Advice for short backpacking trip in Robbers Roost Trip Planning 2
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
kwc Advice for a November visit to Las Vegas Trip Planning 10
R Eastern Uinta Solo Trip Advice Request Trip Planning 5
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
M 5 days Green > Elk Wind River route advice August 17th Trip Planning 9
McKee80 Yellowstone backpacking advice Trip Planning 15
montanaclimber advice Grand Canyon backpacking Spring 2020 Trip Planning 16
forest dweller Seeking advice for a 5 or 6 night Banff or Jasper backpacking trip for a married couple with different ideas of what awesome is!!! Trip Planning 7
R 6 day Glacier National Park Trip August 6th-14th Advice Trip Planning 0
R 6 Day 5 Night hike Kintla Lake to Bowman Lake early August advice Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
D Colorado advice?? Other trip suggestions?? Trip Planning 15
Parma Elephant Hill Road Advice General Discussion 1
Lowro Winds advice Trip Planning 11
Benjamin Hayden Looking for advice on Maze District, Canyonlands Trip Planning 1
swmalone Advice from Skiers Gear 36
maxpetros Advice for devils path Trip Planning 7
ScienceMom Hello from Vegas! And anyone have advice for helping reluctant-hikers enjoy backpacking more? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 25
K Sawtooths Advice (July 2018) Trip Planning 19
LarryBoy A week in Zion... Advice needed! Trip Planning 7
R Black hills trip advice Trip Planning 7
pixie1339 White Pocket, South Coyote Buttes Advice Trip Planning 11
R Trip advice Trip Planning 4
T K9 hiking adventures & K9 backpack advice. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Rockskipper Need some trip advice General Discussion 9
seekinglost Trip advice for huge Sawtooths loop Trip Planning 3
Perry New to Desert Hiking... Any Advice? General Discussion 8
Noun Sequitur Photography for kids (need advice) Photography 11
IceChip Sawtooth backpacking advice Trip Planning 4