Lees Ferry Fly Fishing

Nanda

This is probably shot in the dark, but asking anyways. Anyone has any experience with fishing Lees Ferry area in Dec/January? Is it even doable without hiring a guide and drifting in a boat? I prefer to do it on my own and from what I've gathered Dec is pretty decent month for trout fishing there, just dunno much about access options/wading and stuff.

Lees Ferry on the Colorado River near the start of the Grand Canyon? I had no idea that fly fishing was even a thing there.

Lees Ferry on the Colorado River near the start of the Grand Canyon? I had no idea that fly fishing was even a thing there.

ya I didn't either until recently I was googling for places in arizona, NM and it showed up.

Crazy. My totally unknowledgeable opinion is that it would be really tough to do without a boat. That's a mighty large river and the shore is often impassable.

You can hike upstream from Lee's Ferry and work the banks for trout. Could be fairly effective if water levels are low enough.
But...If I were to do it, I would bring an inflatable and overnite gear; and then have 1 of the Page river outfitters, ferry you up to the top. You could then float back to Lee's Ferry in 2-3 nites and really work the most productive spots on your way back down. Lot's of places to camp on the river and pretty much loaded with trout in this sweet tailwater. Yes @Nick this is a world class trout fishery.

You can hike upstream from Lee's Ferry and work the banks for trout. Could be fairly effective if water levels are low enough.
But...If I were to do it, I would bring an inflatable and overnite gear; and then have 1 of the Page river outfitters, ferry you up to the top. You could then float back to Lee's Ferry in 2-3 nites and really work the most productive spots on your way back down. Lot's of places to camp on the river and pretty much loaded with trout in this sweet tailwater. Yes @Nick this is a world class trout fishery.

Thanks, that really sounds so tempting, at least in few months when temps are not so low as far as overnight camping goes. @Nick, should plan a BCP group trip in Spring, what do you say? :)
For now I am just leaning towards staying in cabin there for couple days and see what I can do, for me its more about just getting away from SLC and work for couple days at this point and fish the river.

Wow. What class is the water below the dam? Sounds like a sweet trip!
As far as rapids go, there are none. It's pretty much a flat float. As far as tailwaters go, it has legendary status like the Green, Bighorn and San Juan. Maybe not quite the same populations of fish as the others, but still right up there, and many in the large size. Usually got to fish tiny flies. Midges and tiny mayflies. I still plan on doing a float on it one of these days in my life.

I have a friend that use to fish there and he told me not to go there without hiring someone to boat me up toward the dam. This was years ago. Come up to the South fork of the snake instead. fishing great and good wading depth, which it seldom is. Look at Jimmy's site

Nick that stretch of canyon is what you are looking at at horseshoe bend! It is amazing !! You can also pay one of the guide companies to haul you, your gear and your kayak/raft up and leisurely float down to lees ferry fishing and camping along the way. There are some petroglyphs (I think the Boy Scouts vandalized these ones ) I hope to do this trip next summer!

Nothing 100% concrete yet, but a mid/late march trip for few days floating down the colorado from the dam to lees ferry is looking promising, in the new canoe. exciting.

We'll be working our way through southern Utah/northern Arizona in April (hopefully fishing Boulder Mt. and other small streams along the way). We toyed with the idea of Lee's Ferry but from what I was reading walk and wade didn't sound very promising and the two 4-legged beasts we'll have in tow completely killed the idea. It looks pretty unreal though!

I don't know if this is still relevant, but I just talked to a friend who fishes Lee's Ferry often and he said that its great in the morning. I was going to be going down there this weekend, but plans change...