Late July in Yellowstone

Parashakti

Maybe I’m not looking hard enough, but I don see many trip reports in YNP in July. Are the biting insects miserable?
Looking at Cache Creek, Pebble Creek, Firehole ,Heart Lake,.. But of course it all depends on permit availability. Three day trip not too steep.
Late September is also a possibility. I know the mosquitos will be gone and crowds more tolerable, but … shorter days, and longer colder nights.
Any insights?

Maybe I’m not looking hard enough, but I don see many trip reports in YNP in July. Are the biting insects miserable?
Looking at Cache Creek, Pebble Creek, Firehole ,Heart Lake,.. But of course it all depends on permit availability. Three day trip not too steep.
Late September is also a possibility. I know the mosquitos will be gone and crowds more tolerable, but … shorter days, and longer colder nights.
Any insights?

Here are a couple of reports from July for you - lots of bugs and spectacular wildflowers.

Plateau Lake and Buffalo Meadows, Yellowstone National Park 7/27 - 7/30

Mirror Plateau and the Lamar River Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 7, 2016

Last edited:
Thank you for finding these for me! The insects do seem to coincide with wildflowers don't they, you pay a price for the beautiful weather. The photo of your shirt was horrific!

Any insights?
I spent some time up Pebble Creek in July of 2020 & on Cache Creek in August of 2021, insects were not an issue for me. But it can't hurt to take a head net. I've tried using those Thermacell units, both the backpacker unit as well as the one that clips on your hip, unfortunately I can't seem to keep them lit at altitude. But at least the packaging tells you that will happen. I've found permethrin is best for ticks. Old fashioned deet is the best for mosquitos, but I have to imagine it is terrible for your health.

Thanks for this; very encouraging. Seems like that Northern part of the park dries out sooner than in the south. Will choose my itinerary later today!
Will find my old head net, spray my clothes before, and bring the hard core deet. Mosquito bites are bad for my health!

I spent some time up Pebble Creek in July of 2020 & on Cache Creek in August of 2021, insects were not an issue for me. But it can't hurt to take a head net. I've tried using those Thermacell units, both the backpacker unit as well as the one that clips on your hip, unfortunately I can't seem to keep them lit at altitude. But at least the packaging tells you that will happen. I've found permethrin is best for ticks. Old fashioned deet is the best for mosquitos, but I have to imagine it is terrible for your health.
Thanks for this; very encouraging. Seems like that Northern part of the park dries out sooner than in the south. Will choose my itinerary later today!
Will find my old head net, spray my clothes before, and bring the hard core deet. Mosquito bites are bad for my health!

Did a slough creek loop in late June.... There are mosquitos but badness is related to tolerance. Number of mosquitos is related to number of frost days and nights

My personal favorite time in the park is September. Muddy sections are dried out and you don’t have to deal with bugs- plus the yellow/red fall colors are amazing and fewer people as well. Have to keep an eye on the weather as early snow storms can cause issues and as scat mentioned you’ll miss the wildflowers, but I’ve found I enjoy early spring and fall the best because the hellacious bugs drive me mad!

I use Deet and permithrem while hiking, but around camp, I use a Thermacell. I find it takes a few clicks to get it to light, and I do have to check once in a while to make sure it has continued to stay lit. It does work for me, at camp, though.

Any insights?
A friend of mine has done Heart Lake and Shoshone Lake trips in July and said he's never seen worse mosquitos in his life. I figure I can head to places I know won't be so bad during those times, and I save the buggy and wet spots for August-October when they're more pleasant. Haha.