Kudos to Steripen

Aldaron

I just wanted to give some kudos to Steripen. My five year old Steripen had started acting up. The past three times I've used it, it was only working intermittently, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. So I sent it back, expecting to have to pay a little bit to get it repaired. They received it yesterday and wrote back today saying that it was working when they tested it. I told them that it did work just fine intermittently, and worried they would tell me they couldn't do anything with it since it was working right now. Instead, they wrote back a few minutes later and said a new unit was in the mail.

Good customer service is nice.

Actually this worries me a bit. I have had mine act up when I was backcountry; only to have it work fine at home. I just thought I had been doing something wrong before but now wonder if I had the same intermittent thing going.

I do like the thing though but always end up carrying a plan B with me too because I worry about having the same problem. And, maybe it was user error?

I had the same concern that it was user error, but last fall in the Weminuche it totally shut down on me for about 24 hours. I changed batteries and tried everything but couldn't get it to work. I carry backup tablets, but one of my friends had a pump. I tried it all the next day with no luck, then the next morning I tried it again and it worked. Go figure. I suspect it had developed a short somewhere.

In its defense, it was five years old with pretty regular use. And it was bought soon after they started producing them.