Kings Peak at 50

JackBurns

I hiked up Kings Peak with my mom for her 50th birthday.
I’m turning 50 in August and want to do the same. My question to you is how would you hike in? We hiked in from Henrie’s fork.
Is there a “better” way in or a more scenic way in? How may days would you take?
Please give me your opinion.
Jack

I'm doing it starting July 23. I'm going China Meadows TH - Red Castle - Yellowstone - Kings Peak - Henry's Fork - China Meadows
all over the course of a week. If you're only wanting to do Kings then Henry's Fork is probably your best option. You can also come up
from Painters Basin, though I'm not familiar with that approach.

When I've hiked up Kings Peak from Henry's Fork I usually do it in 4 days/3 nights.
First day hike to your base camp.
Second day explore/fish/enjoy the scenery.
Third day summit Kings Peak.
Fourth day hike out.

I know many do it in three days and don't do the extra day of fishing/exploring. But I enjoy that "day off" if you will. It's nice.
In fact, I'll be up there next week (July 11-14)!

When I've hiked up Kings Peak from Henry's Fork I usually do it in 4 days/3 nights.
First day hike to your base camp.
Second day explore/fish/enjoy the scenery.
Third day summit Kings Peak.
Fourth day hike out.

I know many do it in three days and don't do the extra day of fishing/exploring. But I enjoy that "day off" if you will. It's nice.
In fact, I'll be up there next week (July 11-14)!

Was just up there for the 4th. My friend and I both thought this was the way to do it. It is a long way with big packs from Painter's Basin to the TH, I definitely recommend camping in the basin of Henry's Fork.

I hiked up Kings Peak with my mom for her 50th birthday.
I’m turning 50 in August and want to do the same. My question to you is how would you hike in? We hiked in from Henrie’s fork.
Is there a “better” way in or a more scenic way in? How may days would you take?
Please give me your opinion.
Jack
I would hike the Highline and summit King's right there in the middle of the crossing! :cool:

Another option I did was hike it in my Berkie's out of irritation because I forgot my shoes. Two days one night from Henry's Fork. I don't recommend it.

Another option I did was hike it in a day from the Henry's Fork trailhead. A butt buster. I don't recommend that either unless you are training or want an achievement. I was training for a double crossing of the Grand Canyon a week later. RimToRimToRim.

Another option I did was hike it in my Berkie's out of irritation because I forgot my shoes. Two days one night from Henry's Fork. I don't recommend it.

Another option I did was hike it in a day from the Henry's Fork trailhead. A butt buster. I don't recommend that either unless you are training or want an achievement. I was training for a double crossing of the Grand Canyon a week later. RimToRimToRim.

All of your suggestions seem painful.

Looks like our Grand Poobah, @Nick, and friends are approaching King's Peak from the east on day 2 of their Highline crossing attempt today. https://bcpost.me/highline

This section of the hike, Painter's Basin, is especially beautiful. Maybe they will summit it tomorrow morning on their through hike. Another way I recommended - that is probably not painful :) Well, maybe a little...

Last edited:
So far it's my brother, my son and his girlfriend, and me.
My brother and I have more days off. So maybe he and I will go in from China Meadows and explore the Red castle area. Then over Fork pass, up Anderson pass, and meet my son on Kings peak. We could trade keys, and my brother and I go out Henrys Fork. In on Sunday, meet on Kings the morning of Wednesday, then out on Thursday.
Can you see any issues with that plan?

Combining Red Castle, Kings peak, and the Upper Yellowstone is an Awesome plan. Really. Some of the best of the Uintas that can be visited. See DrNed’s route above. I have a similar loop planned coming over Bald Mtn from the west. PM me if that sounds interesting. In the sawtooths until next Wednesday though.

Last edited:
I'm doing it starting July 23. I'm going China Meadows TH - Red Castle - Yellowstone - Kings Peak - Henry's Fork - China Meadows
all over the course of a week. If you're only wanting to do Kings then Henry's Fork is probably your best option. You can also come up
from Painters Basin, though I'm not familiar with that approach.

I find this is how it is. The more you look into something the more you understand it. I read your post but it didn't make sense to me until now that I have looked into the routes. Now it looks like I might copy your route. Have you done it before?
Have you done the hike from Henrys fork back over to China meadows? It doesn't seem like much up and down looking on the map.

I find this is how it is. The more you look into something the more you understand it. I read your post but it didn't make sense to me until now that I have looked into the routes.
And that, is a big part of what attracts me to the sport - the research and the exploration! You go boy. You will love Red Castle and the Upper Yellowstone!

I find this is how it is. The more you look into something the more you understand it. I read your post but it didn't make sense to me until now that I have looked into the routes. Now it looks like I might copy your route. Have you done it before?
Have you done the hike from Henrys fork back over to China meadows? It doesn't seem like much up and down looking on the map.

I have done the eastern half of it. Here's my report of that experience. The Henry's Fork back over to China Meadows is the section I've done. Heading from Henry's Fork to the trailhead there is only one notable climb - the climb out of the Basin. I would rate it at a mild to moderate climb.
DSCN1200.JPG
Once there you reach the top you've got four miles of down hill to the trail head.
Do a search, there are many who have done the whole loop and written up a TR.

If you're interested in such things here's my map of the route.

Click here to view on CalTopo

Last edited:
I have done the eastern half of it. Here's my report of that experience. The Henry's Fork back over to China Meadows is the section I've done. Heading from Henry's Fork to the trailhead there is only one notable climb - the climb out of the Basin. I would rate it at a mild to moderate climb.
View attachment 66145
Once there you reach the top you've got four miles of down hill to the trail head.
Do a search, there are many who have done the whole loop and written up a TR.

If you're interested in such things here's my map of the route.

Click here to view on CalTopo

Please give us a quick synopsis of your trip when you return. Temps, fishing, and bugs.
Have a great trip.