Kilts

Well, for me, as a frequent follower of the @ScirtMan in the high and wild I would request that you pay extra special attention to your garb under the kilt. As the Scat does for sure. Your followers and fellow hikers will be amazed and greatly appreciate it. Did you get to see him show off the underwear he had under his kilt this weekend? It had little pup tents on it!

w00t! Now that is wardrobe success! :twothumbs:

You'd look great in a kilt @Nick. My favorite is the Elkommando Kilt by Mountain Hardware. It is a utility kilt and is quick drying, has a couple of nice large cargo pockets, uses snaps and has an integrated belt. Looking on their website just now though, it appears they are sold out. When I bought my first one, I had to wait a couple of months for them to get them back in stock. Give them a call and they can tell you when/if it will be available again.

My other kilts are hiking kilts from an outfit called Sport Kilt. I wanted a little more color in my life, so I picked up a couple of these. They are different from the Elkommando though. First off, they use a large Velcro strip to hold them in place. Just one big Rrrip, and you are as free as a Jaybird. :) At first, I was unsure about this working, but so far I haven't had any problems with them staying on and as snug as you like. I did order belt loops on these just in case. You also have to let them know if you want pockets, which I did. Again, these kilts are quick drying. I might mention the first one I ordered was a size 36 waist which is what I normally wear, but it turns out it was rather large so I got a 34 instead which was perfect for me. You can also customize the length of kilt if that is important to you. I found Sport Kilt to be very helpful when I called them with questions concerning their kilts, but that has been a few years ago at this point.

But clearly these aren't the only tow choices out there. I think any utility kilt would work, so get one that you thinks looks good. I would recommend the quick drying aspect though if you plan on wearing one when it is raining or is damp. That being said, I have seen a couple people wearing normal kilts while hiking here in the Wasatch.

All of my kilts have held up on backpacking trips that have lasted up to two weeks and none have torn, like my hiking pants seem to do every year.

Good luck in your search!

Well, for me, as a frequent follower of the @ScirtMan in the high and wild I would request that you pay extra special attention to your garb under the kilt. As the Scat does for sure. Your followers and fellow hikers will be amazed and greatly appreciate it. Did you get to see him show off the underwear he had under his kilt this weekend? It had little pup tents on it!

w00t! Now that is wardrobe success! :twothumbs:

I should have shown off the pup tents around the fire. :eek:

Good stuff, Scat. I was checking out the Elkommando but it does seem to be in short supply. Any issues with chafing with a kilt?

Good stuff, Scat. I was checking out the Elkommando but it does seem to be in short supply. Any issues with chafing with a kilt?

I have had a utilikilt for a few years. There are a few things I like about it and a few I don't.

Pros:

Adjustable sizing. The sizing is adjustable for about 6 sizes if I remember. Mine goes from a 30-36.
Tons of Pockets - It has a ton of pockets, some of which are removable.
Modesty Flaps - It has the ability to attach some snaps to help with high winds, and one of their options has the ability to be snapped and turned to shorts.
Heavy Duty - Very heavy duty, easy to clean
Super Comfortable for driving
Makes my in-laws super uncomfortable when I wear it

Cons:

Biggest was price - If I remember correctly it was over $300
Weight - It is pretty heavy, even when you remove some of the cargo pockets

So with all of that in mind I actually don't hike in it a ton. I find it to be a lot more useful and comfortable for just hanging out, lounging around, or driving. I personally wear boxer briefs under it just because I'm not completely confident in my ability to keep from accidentally flashing someone.

Here is a link to the utilitkilt website if anyone wants to see what they offer. https://www.utilikilts.com/ Another edit. - The model I have is the survival.

Last edited:
Back