Kane Creek and Sevenmile Canyon

Udink

Still right here.
On the last weekend in January I took my wife and another couple to Moab, taking advantage of cheap winter motel rates to sleep comfortably while still enjoying relatively warmer daytime weather than at home. Chris and Dollie met us in Price and we piled into the Swell Jeep for the drive to Moab. After checking into the Inca Inn and then enjoying dinner at Moab Brewery, we did some nighttime geocaching in and around the Matheson Wetlands Preserve, and even accidentally stumbled upon some petroglyphs.

Petroglyph illuminated by headlamp
20160129_201119.jpg

We decided to drive up Kane Creek (aka Kane Springs Canyon) on Saturday morning. I purposely didn't do much research on the area before this trip--I was hoping to simply wander and explore rather than follow a specific itinerary. A quick stop at Moonflower Canyon revealed some petroglyphs and inscriptions. Between there and Kane Creek we kept a sharp eye out and found several more petroglyph panels.

Moonflower petroglyphs
DSCF2915.JPG

1923 bottle inscriptions
DSCF2922.JPG

Traci and Dollie
DSCF2923.JPG

Bighorn sheep and atlatl
DSCF2926.JPG

"Hey, back up, I think I saw some rock art!"
DSCF2931.JPG

Bear petroglyph
DSCF2933.JPG

Ground-level petroglyphs
DSCF2939.JPG

Moab Mastodon
DSCF2941.JPG

Hos was here to kill!
DSCF2946.JPG

M.F.B., J.M. Branson, 1899
DSCF2953.JPG

Colorado River near Moonflower Canyon
DSCF2957.JPG

There's a side-canyon of Kane Creek that has a noticeable trail in Google Earth, so we followed it to see where it went. At the parking area I recognized @Kullaberg63's family and dogs and chatted briefly with his son, then we began our hike. Along the lower portion of the trail there was a lot of rock art. The trail ascended a notch in a cliff band that was a little difficult for Traci to climb, but once we made it up we saw one more petroglyph panel consisting of a long line of bighorn sheep. The trail continued up the canyon, crossed over a low spot in a sandstone fin to the next canyon over, then did a 180-degree turn and ascended further until we were standing in a notch overlooking the parking area. It wasn't until we turned around to head back that I noticed a wonderful view over the fins toward the La Sals.

Sheep line
DSCF2985.JPG

Sheep and archer
DSCF2991.JPG

Around the corner
DSCF2996.JPG

Climbing through the notch
DSCF3011.JPG

Long line of sheep
DSCF3012.JPG

Alcove
20160130_115848.jpg

Above the parking lot
DSCF3035.JPG

Chris posing with the fins in the background
20160130_123453.jpg

La Sal Mountains over the fins
DSCF3045.JPG

Farther up Kane Creek we stopped for lunch. Afterward Traci and Dollie stayed at the Jeep while Chris and I made the climb up to Funnel Arch (aka Cable Arch). There was one spot during the scramble up that sketched me out 'cause I thought it would be difficult coming back down, but it turned out to be pretty easy on the descent. Funnel Arch was nice! We spotted some petroglyphs on the hike to the arch, but I researched it after our hike and found out that we'd missed some other rock art. We spent more time driving up Kane Creek and to Hurrah Pass, but didn't have enough daylight to explore more so we retired to town and ate at Moab Diner.

Switchbacks on Kane Creek Road
DSCF3061.JPG

Funnel Arch
DSCF3066.JPG

Roadside petroglyphs
DSCF3070.JPG

Jeep at Hurrah Pass
DSCF3080.JPG

It had rained Saturday night and snow was in the forecast for Sunday afternoon. We decided to check out of our rooms and do some easy driving/exploring on the way home. Sevenmile Canyon fit the bill nicely since it was a short drive off US-191 and there was plenty of easily-accessible rock art. We hit TV sheep and Intestine Man, which I'd been to before. I had coordinates for two more sites (Snake-in-Mouth and an interesting set of petroglyphs), but as we drove farther up the canyon we spotted a few more rock art sites. We took the Jeep as far as one can legally drive up Sevenmile, then Chris and I hiked a bit farther but didn't see anything interesting beyond the cable barrier in the canyon. It started snowing just about as we were finishing up, so we high-tailed it for Green River and a quick stop at Ray's Tavern for a late lunch. Roads were dry going back to Price but I think Chris and Dollie ran quite a bit of snow on the way to SLC. Moab turned out to be a surprising (although much too short) respite from the cold and snow at home.

TV sheep
DSCF3081.JPG

Photographing Intestine Man pictographs
20160131_100245.jpg

Back up and give it another go!
DSCF3089.JPG

Snake-in-Mouth pictographs
DSCF3095.JPG

Snake-in-Mouth close-up
DSCF3096.JPG

Sevenmile petroglyphs
DSCF3107.JPG

Sevenmile petroglyphs
DSCF3109.JPG

Sevenmile pictographs
DSCF3121.JPG

Lone, multi-colored figure
DSCF3129.JPG

Large BCS pictograph
DSCF3133.JPG

Chris checking out a high alcove
DSCF3138.JPG

Jeep at the end of the route in Sevenmile Canyon
DSCF3140.JPG

Lunch at Ray's Tavern
20160131_140855.jpg

Photo Gallery: Kane Creek and Sevenmile Canyon

Love winter in the desert. Jealous.

Nice pics. How far did you hike up the unnamed anyone before your 180 degree turn? Where was it in relation to Pritchett and Hunters Canyons? I went up Pritchett quite a long way, and Hunters and along Hunters' rim to Pritchett arch but never got a good view of the fins. I only managed that when I climbed up the opposite side of the road or river

Nice pics. How far did you hike up the unnamed anyone before your 180 degree turn? Where was it in relation to Pritchett and Hunters Canyons?
If following the trail it's only about half a mile to the saddle between fins where I reversed direction. The canyon is between Pritchett and Hunter, and offers views into Pritchett if you hike in far enough.