Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness Area. North Carolina.

BJett

The Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness in western North Carolina is by far my favorite backcountry escape in the southeast. The views from up high on the Hangover rival anything in the southern Appalachians, and Slickrock Creek's waterfalls are beautiful.
The largest stand of old growth trees left in the east are found here in the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, and the entire Little Santeetlah watershed has never seen a loggers saw.
This is a hard to reach place, or at least the good stuff is tough to get to. You have to earn it here, the trails are STEEP. The highest elevation is a little over a mile high near on Bob Bald.
This was my seventh trip here, and I was thrilled to be able to bring my wife and show her around this amazing wilderness. We basecamped for three nights near arguably the best view in the southeat on the Hangover. After an epic 14 mile dayhike, lots of rain, a full day spent in the clouds and a night below freezing we still weren't ready to leave.
Our knees were though.

Sunset from the Hangover, approximately 5,200'
2A4A1423.jpg

Sunrise from the Hangover
2A4A1394.jpg

2A4A1434.jpg

2A4A1428.jpg

Plenty of wildflowers. Flame azaleas...
IMG_9224.jpg

Trillium
IMG_9248.jpg

Trillium
IMG_9230.jpg

Lady Slipper
IMG_9291.jpg

Mountain Laurel
IMG_9278.jpg

After 12 hours of rain, the clouds stuck around all day. It was surreal.
IMG_9247.jpg

The next day...
IMG_9270.jpg

Cloud camp cribbage
IMG_9257.jpg

Slickrock Creek trail is one of the toughest in the southeast. Rarely maintained and ridiculously steep until you reach the creek.
IMG_9252.jpg

IMG_9276.jpg

IMG_9277.jpg

Finally reached the top after our epic day hike down, then back UP...and UP...
IMG_9279.jpg

A favorite of mine, this campsite is one of the best around
IMG_9284.jpg

Jenkins Meadow
IMG_9286.jpg

Lower Wildcat Falls
2A4A1415.jpg