ISO Tiger Trout in the Uintas

Jeronimo

I have only backpacked once in the Uintas and it was to Four Lakes Basin. I have been dying to get back since then. I am going to go out this summer (probably middle of June if the snow is gone) and want to focus this trip on fishing. Last trip I caught about 900 Arctic Greylings and a few brookies, but I want to catch a large Tiger. I'm having a hard time finding which lake would be best for this sort of thing. We will only have 3 nights. Let me know if you have any ideas.

On a side note, if you want to suggest your favorite trips that have decent fishing that may not include tigers please let me know. Thanks for your help. I like reading all of your reports.

Middle of June is likely to be way too early this year. Things can change, but right now we're way over average snowpack. Early July would be more realistic.

There are tigers all over in the Uintas. You can check the DWR historical stocking reports to find every lake that they have been planted in. You can sort by species, county, etc. to narrow things down. https://dwrapps.utah.gov/fishstocking/Fish

Middle of June is likely to be way too early this year.
Yeah. I know its slim, but it has been weirdly warm so I am not counting it out this year. We will have a couple back-ups planned. Wife is Due in August, so the earlier the better for me this year.

You can check the DWR historical stocking reports to find every lake that they have been planted in. You can sort by species, county, etc. to narrow things down. https://dwrapps.utah.gov/fishstocking/Fish
That was my initial attempt, but having not very much experience in the Uintas I was hoping for suggestions of great trips that this could be included on. I already have a small list that I plan on going over with the Probst book.

The Probst book is pretty much worthless when it comes to Tiger trout. They've really ramped up on stocking them since that book was written.

I saw quite a few people catching Tiger Trout at Washington Lake last summer.
Here's what Washington Lake looked like last year on June 11, 2016. Very muddy, but you could still fish it. It's not a backpacking location, but if you really wanted that Tiger, this was a great spot for it last year!
Washington Lake June 2016.jpeg

I had some success catching Tigers at Ostler lake last summer. Amethyst basin is a good destination for a short backpacking trip.

I had good success on Ostler Lake up Amethyst Basin last year. That was in early July.

Attachments

• IMG_3704.JPG
    IMG_3704.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 154
It's a trek but I've caught a few up at Red Castle. Tiger and Cutthroat were what I kept coming up with. The biggest fish I've caught in the Uintas have come out of Red Castle. It's really deep so the winter freeze doesn't kill nearly as much.