Island Park?

I have a fam dam ily reunion in Island Park! Looks cool but not a lot of info on the interwebs (obviously tons on yellowstone). Is there anything must see or do really close to I.P.? Hiking? Off Roading? Running? Fishing? Anything?!

I have a fam dam ily reunion in Island Park! Looks cool but not a lot of info on the interwebs (obviously tons on yellowstone). Is there anything must see or do really close to I.P.? Hiking? Off Roading? Running? Fishing? Anything?!
Lots of fantastic hiking/trail running 30-45 minutes away in Beaverhead NF and the Lee Metcalf Wilderness. Lakes, peaks, meadows. Totally worth your time. Carry bear spray! There are some old mines around there that you can check out too. I can PM you specific suggestions if that's not too far of a drive for you.

If you're into fly fishing, the Madison River near Three Dollar Bridge is supposed to be excellent. Lots of spots closer to IP as well. I don't know much about fishing though, so that's all I've got.

Lots of fantastic hiking/trail running 30-45 minutes away in Beaverhead NF and the Lee Metcalf Wilderness. Lakes, peaks, meadows. Totally worth your time. Carry bear spray! There are some old mines around there that you can check out too. I can PM you specific suggestions if that's not too far of a drive for you.

If you're into fly fishing, the Madison River near Three Dollar Bridge is supposed to be excellent. Lots of spots closer to IP as well. I don't know much about fishing though, so that's all I've got.

PM Away!!

Yep, Lee Metcalf. Probably easiest from IP is Beaver Creek off Earthquake Lake. Expedition Lake/Pass and Hilgard Basin are really scenic. But as noted, BEAR SPRAY or some other effective means mandatory along with all good food storage/use practices. G bear density in that area may be higher than Yellowstone. But still worth the effort.

Although not much hiking I really enjoy Big Springs. Of course the Henrys Fork is about the most famous flyfishing in the world.

The Bechler Ranger Station/Trailhead may not be close with your time perception but I think just a bot over an hour. Bechler Falls fishing is amazing, just over a mile in. Dunanda Falls is about 18 miles round trip but it is amazing, with its micro-climatic environment with flowers on the canyon walls, the hot sorings, the falls; most exotic place I've ever been in the time zone. Like EVERYWHERE within YNP boundaries the hit water his VERY hot, scalding. It MUST be cooled with creek water to soak in. The pool pictured is FAR to hot near the hit source side of the pool. I by no means suggest you soak, but I do with great caution.

Dunanda & Me..jpg

YNP DUNANDA SPRING.jpg

If you want a great day auto tour and have a decent backroad vehicle do Grassy Lake Road. Very high grizz concentration, nice ponds and lakes, Glade Creek a wonderful stroll to viewing rocks.

Float Big Springs...about half day. Lee Metcalf WA close, drive to Sawtell Peak for good views. Nice day hike trail off Sawtell to Mt Jefferson on the CDT. Harriman State Park. Off course ATV trails. YNP west boundary is about 7 miles, dirt road along boundary to get you to less seen parts. Cave Falls are in Bechler area. Mesa Falls. Driggs/Targhee are about 90 min. Big Sky area about 90 min. Always go into Yellowstone, drive stuff. NW corner of Yellowstone dayhikes. Quake lake area. Eniis is kinda neat, some nice hiking east of there. Kids like Grizzly/Wolf Center, Zipline in WestYellowstone. Fishing . Biking.

Stop in, I am building a house off Sawtell Peak road..... been up there a lot..... where are you staying.