Indian Peaks Wilderness Permits

Shirt357

I've been doing some research and considering some sort of backpacking trip to Indian Peaks. I know you need permits and it looks like they only way to get one is via a snail mail request or showing up in person (correct me if I am incorrect please). So couple of questions I had is:

1. How hard is it to get a permit? Any areas it would be tougher to get one for (I'll guess Crater lake is for one)? And is best choice to do snail mail or anyone think there is luck in just showing up?
2. Any recommended areas to try for a permit in or any recommended routes?

Thanks!
Nick

I've always just called them and requested a permit over the phone. They then mail the permit to you.

Crater lake is now a tough permit to get; I'll bet it's all booked for the summer. That area is the crown jewel of the ipw though. If you can go after labor day, you might be able to get a permit, and that can be the best time of year there as well.

What type of backpacking do you have in mind? Peak-bagging from base camp? Backpacking loops? If you give us a better idea of your criteria (miles per day, etc), we can offer suggestions.

Much of the ipw is very crowded, but it's still my favorite place to go backpacking within 2 hours of Denver.

@RyanP ... thanks for the response.

Honestly, I enjoy both loops and peak-bagging. Having never been to IPW, I would be open to either. Looking to do 1-3 nights probably. As far as mileage goes, I can make 10-15 miles a day easy if I want to, but its not required. I think I am just looking for a good trip to get a feel for some of what IPW has to offer. Also, while Crater lake definitely appears to be stunning, I am really fine checking out other areas so if you had some recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you want to go into Crater Lake, you don't need a permit after Sept 15th. The West side is far less crowded than the East side.

If you setup a base camp on the saddle to the North of Mt Irving Hale, you can make a nice day hikes over to Cooper/Marten/Martenette, Hiamovi/Hiamovi Tower, and Watanga/Adams/Roaring/Twin.

Wheeler Basin is also spectacular and wouldn't be crowded, you can hike in from Monarch Lake or over Arapaho Pass. You could climb Hopi/Achonee or some of the unmentionable peaks to the East.

Listen to Mike; I highly doubt that anyone on here knows the Indian peaks better than him. Modified versions of his two suggestions are both near the top of my to-do list.

The wheeler basin option is sort of off-trail. If you do that one, please do NOT post a trip report!

The Pawnee-buchanan loop is a wonderful traditional backpacking loop. It's similar to the four pass loop (a touch easier, and not quite as consistently scenic). It's somewhat crowded (though not as bad as the four pass loop), but will give you a good feel for the ipw. It will take you to fox park (west side of Buchanan pass), lone eagle Cirque (make sure to make that detour!), and lake Isabelle---in my opinion these are some of the nicest places around. The stretch of trail from Crater lake to lake Isabelle is one of my favorite stretches of trail I've been on.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
M Overnight Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness or Similar Trip Planning 13
mike_offerman Cherokee Peak, Indian Peaks Wilderness Hiking & Camping 14
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 2 Deer Cyn explore-->Esplanade-->Indian Hollow Tr. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 10
RyanP Cook Lakes to Wall Lake to Indian Basin to Titcomb Basin Trip Planning 4
danger02ward Wind Rivers - Titcomb and Indian Basins Part 4 Backpacking 1
danger02ward Wind Rivers - Titcomb and Indian Basins Part 3 Backpacking 12
danger02ward Wind Rivers - Titcomb and Indian Basins Part 2 Backpacking 3
danger02ward Wind Rivers - Titcomb and Indian Basins Part 1 Backpacking 1
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Indian Creek day hike Hiking & Camping 1
Blake Merrell Wind River Trip - Day 4 - Indian Basin and Knife Point Glaicer Backpacking 4
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, South Fork Indian Creek-Thompson Reservoir Backpacking 1
Blake Merrell Titcomb Basin, Fremont Peak, Indian Basin, Knifepoint Glacier, & Island Lake Backpacking 28
John Goering North Fork Indian Creek, Tobacco Root Mountains, Montana Backpacking 4
uintahiker Indian Cave Nebraska Hiking & Camping 8
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Indian Creek Backpacking 6
Udink Indian Creek Hiking & Camping 6
Mike K Indian Pass Question (Wind Rivers) Trip Planning 12
Antlerking Indian Creek info needed Trip Planning 4
IntrepidXJ The Needles & Indian Creek Hiking & Camping 3
IntrepidXJ South Fork Indian Canyon Pictographs Hiking & Camping 0
LarryBoy Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone - Second Edition (coupon code for pre-order) General Discussion 12
BadFoot Altra Lone Peaks for hiking on slickrock - grippy or not? Gear 20
scatman Avenues Twin Peaks - December 31, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
scatman Mount Aire and Unnamed Peaks 8490 and 8319 Lollipop Loop - June 12, 2021 Hiking & Camping 11
scatman Grandeur and Church Fork Peaks Loop - May 29, 2021 Hiking & Camping 19
scatman Broads Fork Twin Peaks - July 14, 2020 Hiking & Camping 20
Yvonne Hiking Connector Trail to Northgate Peaks on Zion Opening Day, May 13 Hiking & Camping 8
J North Cascades National Park Black and Corteo Peaks Traverse Aug 21-23, 2007 Retro Backpacking 3
J Death Valley NP: Corkscrew and Artist Palette Peaks, scramble dayhikes Nov 2019 Hiking & Camping 1
J Three of my Favorite Things: Hiko Springs, NV. Narrows, peaks, petroglyph hike Hiking & Camping 0
Yvonne Kolob Terrace exploration: from Hop Valley to North Gate Peaks, May 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
Yvonne Snowshoeing Northgate Peaks, Zion NP, December 2018 Winter Sports 10
J Sierras to Bristlecones to Death Valley NP: Peaks, Trails, Dunes and Canyons Oct 26 to Nov 10, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Broads Fork Twin Peaks, Robinson's Variation - September 29, 2018 Hiking & Camping 14
David Rule High Peaks Wilderness-August 2018 Backpacking 1
Perry Wasatch Two-for: Ben Lomond and Willard Peaks Hiking & Camping 9
AbinadiWitness Chicago Basin: Part 2: Sunlight & Windom Peaks, Black Canyon Camp, Mt. Peale, UT - 16 -18 Aug. 2017 Backpacking 2
AbinadiWitness Part 2: Wetterhorn, Matterhorn, Uncompahgre Peaks, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP - CO Trip # 1 Backpacking 4
Perry Wow! Another Impressive Feat: Man Climbs Colorado's 100 Highest Peaks. Nonstop General Discussion 2
Mike Jones Coyote Flats and two 13k Peaks in one Day Hiking & Camping 5
Nick 19 Highest Uinta Peaks in 33 Hours General Discussion 13
regehr Three of the Four American Fork Twin Peaks Hiking & Camping 10
LarryBoy Invite Evening Hike - Aves Twin Peaks (March 28 @ 6PM) Meet Up (Members Only) 0
muir_mountain Italian Peaks: Divide Creek Lake and Deadman Creek Backpacking 6
Archbishop I want bag a few peaks. Advice needed. Trip Planning 33
M Castle & Conundrum Peaks - Aspen, CO Hiking & Camping 0
N Wind River Range, easy peaks to climb Trip Planning 33
Udink Delano and Mine Camp Peaks Hiking & Camping 4