Indian Pass Question (Wind Rivers)

Mike K

Planning a last second trip to the Winds. Leaving Tuesday after work, back Sunday or Monday. If you're interested in coming, let me know. :)

Part of our route includes going over Indian Pass. Anyone have info on the conditions (general or current) going down the east side of the pass (Knife Point Glacier)? Wondering if we'll need axe/crampons or if it's straightforward. Our other option would be the "Wall Lake Pass". Anyone done that one? Thanks.

We ran into people who said Knapsack Col was doable without spikes and axes but I don't know about the others. I know @Dan has done Wall/Island Pass and I don't recall hearing about it being bad but he just might not have mentioned it.

Knifepoint is a significant glacier crossing. It's not like knapsack where you are on ice for a short stretch. But, it's all about your skillset, and nobody can answer that except you. I personally wouldn't do it without something to self arrest with, maybe a whippet or possibly microspikes.

Wall-Island this late in the year is a cake walk. Early July it can sometimes have a cornice, but it will be a grassy walk right now. There's a social trail the entire way.

Thanks so much for the information guys!! Looks like Wall is the way to go for us...which isn't ideal...but very good to know.

We ended up going over Alpine Lakes Pass and then Indian Pass (east to west). We used crampons and axes for Knife Point Glacier and it was straightforward. We went up right where DJ is point his trekking pole.KnifePointGlacier.jpg

How was Alpine Lk Pass ? Pics would be great.

How was Alpine Lk Pass ? Pics would be great.

The pass itself wasn't too bad. A grind for sure, but nothing too crazy. The south side had a little snow (100 ft section maybe) which my buddy walked right up in his hiking boots. I went around it too the east. Picture taken from the south side of the pass was on 8/13/2013.

alpine lakes pass.jpg

GETTING to the pass was another story. Rugged and tiring for sure.

Yes... its a good rough, interesting clip over there from the falls before the lake. Lot more snow lower down when we went over. Looks like you went around the west side of the lake? Along there was a ugly snowdrift from cliffs to water we hit.....was it there?

Yes... its a good rough, interesting clip over there from the falls before the lake. Lot more snow lower down when we went over. Looks like you went around the west side of the lake? Along there was a ugly snowdrift from cliffs to water we hit.....was it there?

Ha...interesting indeed. One of the (if not the) toughest days of backpacking I've experienced. We went from Snowbridge Lake to Indian Basin with fairly heavy packs in one day. Yes, we went left (west) of the upper lake. No snow along there. That would have sucked! I imagine a lot more snow earlier in the year or in heavier snow years. When did you go?

DSC03153.JPGDSC03146.JPG From Snowbridge Lk......that is tough, haven't been though there, but looked at it from up by the Fortress. The bad drift is on the upper west of the lower Alpine lake. You came via Valley of Death then.
I shoulda tagged along in Aug.....had to cancel my Idaho trip at last minute. Trying to work another one up later in Sept if weather holds.

First pic is the Ugly snowdrift, second pic is Alpine Pass, way more snow:

Ya, was the last week in August 2009.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 2 Deer Cyn explore-->Esplanade-->Indian Hollow Tr. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 10
M Overnight Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness or Similar Trip Planning 13
Shirt357 Indian Peaks Wilderness Permits Trip Planning 4
mike_offerman Cherokee Peak, Indian Peaks Wilderness Hiking & Camping 14
RyanP Cook Lakes to Wall Lake to Indian Basin to Titcomb Basin Trip Planning 4
danger02ward Wind Rivers - Titcomb and Indian Basins Part 4 Backpacking 1
danger02ward Wind Rivers - Titcomb and Indian Basins Part 3 Backpacking 12
danger02ward Wind Rivers - Titcomb and Indian Basins Part 2 Backpacking 3
danger02ward Wind Rivers - Titcomb and Indian Basins Part 1 Backpacking 1
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Indian Creek day hike Hiking & Camping 1
Blake Merrell Wind River Trip - Day 4 - Indian Basin and Knife Point Glaicer Backpacking 4
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, South Fork Indian Creek-Thompson Reservoir Backpacking 1
Blake Merrell Titcomb Basin, Fremont Peak, Indian Basin, Knifepoint Glacier, & Island Lake Backpacking 28
John Goering North Fork Indian Creek, Tobacco Root Mountains, Montana Backpacking 4
uintahiker Indian Cave Nebraska Hiking & Camping 8
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Indian Creek Backpacking 6
Udink Indian Creek Hiking & Camping 6
Antlerking Indian Creek info needed Trip Planning 4
IntrepidXJ The Needles & Indian Creek Hiking & Camping 3
IntrepidXJ South Fork Indian Canyon Pictographs Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
balzaccom Desolation: Rockbound Pass Backpacking 0
Outdoor_Fool Brooks Range trek - Anaktuvuk Pass to the Haul Road - Cancelled Flight - last minute change-up Backpacking 21
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
P Season Backcountry Pass at Yellowston General Discussion 9
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
TeamJenkins17 Bonneville Pass - August 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
TeamJenkins17 Looking for info on Clark Creek drainage/Pierpont Pass into Hidden Basin in the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 5
C Dinwoody/Bonney Pass Summer Conditions Trip Planning 1
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
marmot_boi Hailey Pass-Cirque of The Towers loop Backpacking 14
NorthwestWanderer Washingtons Okanogan National Forest : PCT/grass hopper pass Backpacking 7
fossana Wire Pass fire (impacting House Rock Rd/Buckskin Gulch) Trip Planning 3
SteveR Blueberry Hill and West Elk Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 1
b.stark Wrangell-St Elias "Seven Pass Route" Backpacking 29
NorthwestWanderer Route Finding adventure, Copper Pass to Blue Lake - Goats, Bears, Lions, Oh my! Backpacking 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Pasayten Wilderness : Harts Pass, PCT, Windy Pass, Buffalo Pass, Foggy Pass, Jim Pass, Hulman Pass & Rock Pass Meadows Backpacking 3
Perry July 14th Dead Horse Pass Recon Trip Hiking & Camping 10
NorthwestWanderer Dayhike to Gothic Basin & Foggy Pass Hiking & Camping 1
RyanP Texas Pass (Winds) in late July Trip Planning 23
S Washakie: E. Dunoir Creek - Shoshone Pass Info Trip Planning 13
woodmaker_58 Table Mt to Hurricane Pass/ Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 5
NorthwestWanderer Overnighter in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness : Ingalls Pass and Lake Ingalls Backpacking 9
Rockskipper Snowshed on Red Mountain Pass, Colorado, 3-16-19 General Discussion 7