Incredible grizzly attack survival story

WasatchWill

Ready For More
I thought for sure there'd be thread on this already but didn't see one.

There's a guy by the name of Todd Orr who lives up in Montana. He was out doing some elk hunt scouting last week and apparently did everything right to prevent surprising a bear. Still, he encountered a sow and two cubs. The sow instantly came after him, he was able to deploy a can of bear spray on her from 25 feet way, but she still barreled right through it and attacked anyway. What's amazing is that not only was he still attacked and survived, but was attacked again moments later and survived again.

Here's the link to his full story:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10210413685967827&id=1513816062

Crazy, crazy, crazy! All precautions taken (save having someone else with him), bear spray used, and still attacked, not once but twice. Fortunately for him, he had the wits to fall to the proper position to protect his vitals.

It's incredible that not only did he survive two attacks, but also had the wits take a video of his injuries prior to treatment. Here's a direct link to the vid. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10210413769369912&id=1513816062

And images...
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10210413732648994&id=1513816062

Or you can go to his full Facebook profile where he's posted all of this...
https://www.facebook.com/todd.orr

Wild! I hadn't heard of this until this post, but now it's all over my Facebook feed. Incredible.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him making the rounds on morning news shows and what not in the near future too.

This freaks me right out given I came much closer to a grizz and cubs in Glacier over the summer. Pretty wild he survived all that.

My grandfather sent me the link to that last night. They live in the area where that happened. Pretty good grizzly population around there, but I've never seen one on the trails. I think the UDAP guy had his near-death experience around there as well.

I've been reading Mark of the Grizzly recently, and if I've learned anything, it's that I won't ever go alone in grizzly country. Especially near the time when they're hyperphagic and probably pretty defensive about their territory. And especially considering that this guy did everything else right. Totally crazy.

Last edited:
Incredible story, glad he is ok and I'm glad my wife is not on facebook and will never hear about this incident, if she did, I'd never get her in the woods again :)