Ideas to help grow Backcountrypost

Nick

-
I think it's safe to assume that one of the most important ingredients to a good forum is a good base of contributing members. I think we're off to an incredible start in that department but I don't want to just sit around and hope that continues. So if anyone has any ideas to help grow the forum, post them here. I'm already planning on printing up a bunch of free stickers, cards and shirts once we work out a permanent logo.

Work some SEO mojo to get the forum higher in Google search results. I have some people at my office that are SEO pros, so I'll ask for some tips.

Work some SEO mojo to get the forum higher in Google search results. I have some people at my office that are SEO pros, so I'll ask for some tips.

Great idea! I worked on a bit of that last night. Got the site map built and fixed up the robots.txt. The main blog site gets ranked pretty high in most related google results so I'm hoping that will help the forum. I just checked and the forum is finally showing up in results which wasn't the case yesterday. A lot of it will be about link building to and from external websites to establish our relevance. Let me know if your SEO guys have any tips!

I think another big thing is if everyone would help in posting content. Obviously trip reports are awesome but other things that you all can share will go a long way in getting like-minded users on board. Start up a thread on your favorite tent, outdoors news, whatever. The more different people adding content, the better. :)

What about tags? Not sure exactly how they work but it seems that other online forums you leave a tag after post. I assume they help search engines find things. For example someone found a TR that I posted on bogley.com about some local petroglyphs. He wanted to talk to me about them so he joined bogley just so he could email me. I would assume he found my original TR because I had left the tag yellowman pictograph or something like that...

What about tags? Not sure exactly how they work but it seems that other online forums you leave a tag after post. I assume they help search engines find things. For example someone found a TR that I posted on bogley.com about some local petroglyphs. He wanted to talk to me about them so he joined bogley just so he could email me. I would assume he found my original TR because I had left the tag yellowman pictograph or something like that...

Great idea. The tags do wonders for the blog side of backcountrypost. A lot of times a search will bring up the tag page before the trip report! I'm on it!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Blake Merrell HELP! Need ideas for 50 mile routes in the Uintas Trip Planning 14
T Southern Utah Backpacking ideas for MLK Weekend? Trip Planning 21
futurafree Colorado off-trail ideas? Trip Planning 8
D Grand Canyon Ideas Trip Planning 9
D Backpacking Ideas for an 8 year old Trip Planning 16
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
Perry Ideas for Camera and Lens Carry Inside a Backpack Photography 11
M Ideas for 4 nights in Escalante Trip Planning 30
forest dweller Seeking advice for a 5 or 6 night Banff or Jasper backpacking trip for a married couple with different ideas of what awesome is!!! Trip Planning 7
Chuck the Mauler Trip ideas near or west of Vegas Trip Planning 8
WasatchWill Spring Break Ideas for Vernal/Dino Quarry NM Trip Planning 3
C denali backpacking ideas Trip Planning 3
RyanP 3-day trip ideas (15-20 miles or so) for late May/early June with good water Trip Planning 9
DrNed Ideas For 1 Night Backpacking In Utah Desert? Trip Planning 10
D Memorial Day backpacking ideas Trip Planning 5
T Dirty Devil Backback ideas Trip Planning 2
R 3 - 4 day backpacking trip ideas Trip Planning 13
Perry Late Season Uintas Day Hike Ideas. Bear River to WFBF and Back? Trip Planning 13
Wanderlust073 3 or 4 night trip ideas - CO, WY Trip Planning 8
kimbur96 Need ideas...3 days, Nov 17-20, with dog?? Trip Planning 10
Mike Jones Cheap Custom Framing Ideas? Photography 10
JohnP Ideas around Silverton, CO - Hike + Camp Trip Planning 8
graywolf High Uintas Ideas Trip Planning 10
Mike Jones 2-3 NIght Back country Yosemite ideas? Trip Planning 3
Shannon Three-four day loop trail ideas? Trip Planning 2
A Trip Ideas Trip Planning 2
Flaminghog2099 Amazon gift card gear ideas Gear 5
Stephanie Escalante for Memorial Day weekend? Ideas? Trip Planning 9
mtthwlw 25 mile backpacking trip ideas needed Trip Planning 8
Stephanie Hiking ideas? Trip Planning 4
Seldom Seen Anderson backpacking nooby ideas Trip Planning 0
K 3 day backpacking ideas Trip Planning 2
Nick Need 4-day backpacking ideas and quick Trip Planning 22
Aldaron Need Trip Ideas Trip Planning 2
V December Backpacking ideas Trip Planning 9
Yvonne Camera equipment and water damage - any ideas? Photography 25
A Looking for ideas on backpacking the west Uintas Trip Planning 4
U Help with a Winds itinerary Trip Planning 19
wsp_scott Redwoods planning help Trip Planning 6
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
balzaccom The Beatles were right: Help! Trip Planning 0
balzaccom A little help, please? Backpacking 0
B 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help Trip Planning 3
regehr Help identifying stone tool? General Discussion 6
balzaccom Help on the trail--literally General Discussion 7
Miya Down Gear Odor Help Gear 31
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
The Trout Whisperer HELP w/ lightweight chair recommendations!!!!! Gear 3
J Yikes, I need help deciding.... Trip Planning 5
Titans Paw prints, help pls! General Discussion 32