Ice Lake, Mount Washburn and Observation Peak, Yellowstone National Park - September 25, 2026

scatman

Member
.
Joined
Dec 23, 2013
Messages
4,645
This was my second trip to Ice Lake this year. While the first trip was with my family, this one consisted of coworkers, ex-coworkers and retirees plus Kevin. The weather held for this one until the last night when we got some substantial rain. Lucky for us, it stopped about 7:30 in the morning so we didn't have to pack up and hike out in the rain.

This is the annual trip that includes Danny who has had back issues for quite some time now. He informed me the day before we drove up to Yellowstone that his back could not handle a pack on it for more than a couple of minutes so he was going to pull a collapsible wagon with his gear in it to our campsite on Ice Lake. Fortunately, the trail was wide enough for the most part to accommodate his wagon with the exception of a couple of lifts over some pine tree roots.

While at Ice Lake, a group of us hiked back out to the trailhead for a couple of day hikes: one to the summit of Mount Washburn and a second to the summit of Observation Peak. I have never summited Washburn before and our route up Observation Peak took in the Cascade Creek Trail which I had never been on before, so a little something new while staying at a very familiar campsite 4D2 on Ice Lake.

Here are some shots of our trip:

Day 1 - Ice Lake Trailhead to Campsite 4D2

Easy 1.3 miles into 4D2 (unless you are pulling a wagon :) ) which is located on the east end of Ice Lake - a five star campsite in my opinion.


05.jpg
Tradition to stop at Sill's for breakfast on our way up

06.jpg
The Sube passes 277,000 miles on our way up

07.jpg
Fred Chatty showing off some shots of fisher remains that he observed in the Park. Fred could tell a story! He claimed that there
weren't any fishers left in Yellowstone, but he claimed he knew people who had seen them before. I told him that I saw one on my
bushwhack up to Plateau Lake back in 2018. They also had a new backcountry video that Fred particularly liked. He was a hoot to
say the least!

08.jpg
Of course Ernie's for lunch. I had the Grizzly sandwich.

09.jpg
At the Ice Lake Trailhead. Look at that vintage pack!

10.jpg
Closer shot for those that are drooling. :D

11.jpg
Trailhead shot. Hey, nice wagon!

12.jpg
Heading down the trail to the lake

13.jpg
Love the old signs

14.jpg
Ice Lake, looking east

15.jpg
The Howard Eaton Trail! We'll be heading in the Wolf Lake direction

16.jpg
How's that wagon treating you?

17.jpg
Setting up my tent at 4D2

18.jpg
Kevin was already at camp waiting for us to arrive.

19.jpg
Downward Dog is always welcome at 4D2. What form! :roflmao:

20.jpg
Can't leave home without one.

21.jpg
Ice Lake has gorgeous sunsets

22.jpg
Bad moon arising


Day 2 - Day Hike to the Summit of Mount Washburn

Started our day off by hiking back out to the Ice Lake Trailhead then driving over to the Mount Washburn Trailhead and then following the old road up to the summit.

23.jpg
Ice Lake in the morning

24.jpg
33 degrees so not quite freezing.

25.jpg
Warning sign at the Washburn Trailhead

26.jpg
Ha ha ha! Good thing I can't read. I'm getting Hayden Valley vibes @TractorDoc and
@Rockskipper

27.jpg
Looking back on Dunraven Peak above and the Grand Loop Road below

28.jpg
View to the south towards Hayden Valley. Mount Sheridan can be seen in the far distance, and if you squint hard enough you can
just make out the Tetons

29.jpg
Nice gradual ascent on the old road. You know Model-Ts used to drive this.

29b.jpg
Coffee Pot Hot Springs to the east

30.jpg
Looks like a black bear was on the road at some point

31.jpg
Afghan goat herder ahead. :)

32.jpg
A couple coming down were nice enough to take our group shot at a switchback in the road

32b.jpg
First view of the lookout on the summit

33.jpg
Dunraven Peak and a portion of the Carnelian drainage to the west/southwest

34.jpg
Mount Holmes in the distnace

35.jpg
Cook Peak is out there somewhere along with the Tower Creek drainage

36.jpg
Electric Peak in the distance

37.jpg
Looking down on the Washburn meadows along with the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

38.jpg
The ridgeline that is supposedly closed. Oh, I forgot, I can't read. :)

39.jpg
Lookout ahead. The wind was really starting to pick up at this point.

40.jpg
Nice looking lookout

41.jpg
View down to the northeast into the Antelope Bear Management Area. Can you see Bell Lake down there. I've got a story about
Bell lake that I'll have to share someday. The old Howard Eaton Trail is down there somewhere.

42.jpg
View out towards the Thunderer and The Needle and into the Beartooth Wilderness on the last bends of the road before the
lookout.

43.jpg
Thar she be!

44.jpg
View back down the way we had come up

45.jpg
Yellowstone Lake can be seen in the distance

46.jpg
Made it. The wind was howling. I could barely stand up, and I was getting cold. .:cold:

46c.jpg
Hey there is that ridge and trail that are supposed to be closed again. Ha ha ha! Good thing I can't read. Hayden Valley is not a
bear management area, Hayden Valley is not a bear management area, Hayden Valley is not a bear management area, There is no
place like home, There is no place like home, There is no place like home. :)

46b.jpg
This way to the observation room and out of the wind

48.jpg
Electric Peak top the northwest. This hot was taken through the glass window of the observation room.

48b.jpg
Hayden Valley, the Yellowstone River, Mount Sheridan and the Tetons. Taken again through the glass.

49.jpg
Carnelian Creek drainage to the west

49b.jpg
View into the Beartooth Wilderness beyond the Park

50.jpg
Leaving the comfort of the observation room behind

51.jpg
Do I really have to say it again? Ha ha ha!

52.jpg
Looking back west on the lookout on the summit of Mount Washburn from the trail that is closed. Wait a minute, I can't read.
The hurricane force winds were worse on the hump to the east of Washburn.

52b.jpg
52c.jpg
Wind blowing hard on the forbidden knoll.

53.jpg
Heading back down the road to the trailhead

54.jpg
Switchback ahead

55.jpg
Look at these three! Dare I say three wisemen? :roflmao:

56.jpg
Some geraniums were still in bloom

57.jpg
What's this? A grizzly on the lower slopes of Washburn.

58.jpg
59.jpg
60.jpg
61.jpg
62.jpg
63.jpg
64.jpg
Always good to see the great bear.

65.jpg
Back on the Ice Lake Trail, we ran into some fresh grizzly scat on the way down to the lake that hadn't been there on our way out
in the morning. :thinking:

Just after the scat encounter, we ran into two young ladies who were on a hike and had left the main trail and were standing on a little feeder trail to west side of Ice Lake with their bear sprays ready for action. They told us that two people had passed and told them that there was a grizzly on the trail and that it was approaching them. The young ladies said that this happened about five minutes ago. They seemed to be a little nervous and I asked if they would like to follow us to our campsite as they were trying to do a loop hike that would take them past Ice Lake and on to Little Gibbon Falls and out. They came with us up to the runoff to our campsite and then headed on towards the falls. We told them that if they ran into any trouble to just come get us at our site.

66.jpg
Did this little guy see the grizzly?

67.jpg
68.jpg
69.jpg
Wolf track along the shore of Ice Lake. It appeared that there was more than one wolf from the tracks

70.jpg
Bikini Pose!

71.jpg
Of course, a celebratory shot of Woodford Reserve for summiting Washburn, but I think
I was celebrating the grizzly sighting more. :)

72.jpg
Tonight's meal.

73.jpg
The wagon puller himself.

74.jpg
Some funky clouds overhead at the lake

75.jpg
And another gorgeous sunset


Day 3 - Summit of Observation Peak via the Cascade Creek Trail


I've summited Observation Peak many times over the years, but have never hiked along the Cascade Creek Trail to get there, so I was looking forward to see what the trail had to offer. Again we had to hike out to the trailhead before driving over to the Cascade Creek Trailhead.

76.jpg
Breakfast on day three

77.jpg
They are quick! Warning posted for the Ice Lake Trail from the encounter the day before

78.jpg
79.jpg
Just in case you need to know.

80.jpg
The beginning of the Cascade Creek Trail
81.jpg
The old information sign. I'll take it over the new generic ones anyday.

82.jpg
2.5 miles to the lake and the junction with the Observation Peak Trail

83.jpg
First meadow that we encountered along the Cascade Creek Trail. It just make you want to go frolic doesn't it? :thumbsup:

84.jpg
Fall colors along the trail

85.jpg
This trail is in nice order

86.jpg
Lone bull. Let's hope this one behaves himself.

87.jpg
Cascade Creek I presume?

88.jpg
Opening up with Cascade Lake just around the corner to the left

89.jpg
Cascade Lake with three swans on it. I'm pretty sure that those are the three swans that were on Grebe Lake on my family trip
back in August.

90.jpg
Time to start heading up

91.jpg
Leaving Cascade Lake behind

92.jpg
A strawberry bloom along the trail

93.jpg
I'm pulling up the rear as usual

94.jpg
More frolicking meadows below - along with some of the Tower Creek upper drainage

94b.JPG
Ran into this guy on his way down. He asked, "Is your name Hugh?" I said, 'Yes, it is." He said that he followed me on a Facebook
page called, "Yellowstone Hiking." His name is Ric, and he is from Chicago and comes out every September to do day hikes in the
Park. I invited him to join @TractorDoc and I next September on whatever hike Dave comes up with. Ric claimed that he is clumsy
and doesn't do well on logs when crossing creeks. I think @TractorDoc may have to hoist Ric up on his back at all river and creek
crossings next year. :D Anyway, it was good to meet you Ric.

95.jpg
Observation Peak above. Same as it was in August. :)

96.jpg
Grebe Lake below

97.jpg
Reaching the lookout

98.jpg
Wolf Lake below and Ice Lake beyond

99.jpg
Cook Peak to the north

100.jpg
My last Turkish fig for this trip

101.jpg
Summit group shot at the lookout

102.jpg
Fall colors on our way back down

103.jpg
Campsite 4E4 near Cascade Lake

104.jpg

Two trails diverged in a green wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;



Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,



And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.



I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two trails diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.



105.jpg
Back at the Cascade Lake Trailhead

106.jpg
107.jpg
And back at Ice Lake

108.jpg
Getting to be about dinner time. at 4D2


Day 4 - Campsite 4D2 back to the Ice Lake Trailhead


109.jpg
Ready for the hike out, extremely wet tent though.

110.jpg
Bye, bye Ice Lake

111.jpg
Back at the vehicles. Now after taking this picture, I put my camera in the back seat of the Subaru, closed the door and started to
get in the front seat when Jordan (the goat herder) called out, "Bear!" I thought that he was just pulling my leg at first, but sure
enough a large, dark colored, boar grizzly bear had just come out of the trees next to the trailhead, crossed the road and went into
the pines on the other side. By the time I opened my back door and grabbed my camera the grizz had already gone into the trees
on the other side of the road. :( Oh well, maybe next time. What a thrill. That's the second time I've had a grizzly near me and I
didn't have my camera in hand to get a nice picture. :mad: But two grizzlies in one trip isn't half bad you know.

112.jpg
It was then onto West Yellowstone and Hank's Chop Shop for some pizza.

113.jpg
And then on to Idaho Falls and Reed's Dairy


114.jpg
For a Monster Cookie malt made with chocolate milk

115.jpg
And, I'm not sure what flavor of ice cream Jordan had, but I do remember him saying
that it was good. He has since told me that it was Gorilla Crunch.



The End.
 
Last edited:
awesome!!
I've done Observation Peak a few times and went to Ice Lake, but I never had the chance to go up to Washburn because the road was closed. Itʻs on my bucket list!! And wow, wolf tracks near camp. I added Ice Lake to my future sunset locations in the park and might even camp there
 
Back
Top