I need a new tent

Yvonne

I lava it!!!
As the new year proceeds and camping season is almost starting for me, I'm considering of getting a new tent.
Fact is, I have three different kind of tents but am not completely happy.

I have a 4 season MSR tent which I really really love. It's like a bomb shelter, but way too warm for the desert. And it also doesn't have an inner mesh part I could use a a stand alone :(
My 1 person backpacking tent is great, too. But it's a backpacking tent, small, lightweight and very prone to stronger wind gusts. I almost broke it last year while camping in a storm with 65mph wind gusts.

And my EMS Sugarshack 3 tent which I usually used beside the other two is way too big for me alone. I'm selling it this year.

I'm looking for a sturdy 2 person tent that is storm proof and has an inner mesh part , so I can use it as a stand alone in really hot weather.
Any recommendations?

I really like the Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 2.1, especially with the two seperate doors.
I'm really tempted to hit the buttom but if someone has another suggestion, I'm happy to look at it.
Primary use for that new tent will be car camping and maybe shorter backpacks/overnight trips, so the weight of the Skyledge with 4.4lb will be okay

I have two REI tents. One is a 3 man for me and Sarah or in a pinch all 3 of us. The other is a 2 man for Spencer. I have been very pleased with these for car camping tents. I have even packed just the inner 3 man tent backpacking once down to Havasupai (I really hate spiders and critters running over me). We bought ours about 4 years ago but I think this one is the comparable to what we have http://www.rei.com/product/845481/rei-half-dome-2-plus-tent. Very easy to put up and take down. My only complaint I can't stand up. I sometimes would very much like to stand up and get dressed. I also took my 3 man to Freeze Fest and slept in it.

Storms? What are these storms you speak of? You live in Utah now! :)

I'll second the REI tents...I like the Quarter Dome. I also like Big Agnes tents and Tarptents. Tarptents are crazy light, but I'm not sure how well they would do in a storm.

Should you want to personally check out the REI tents you know where I live! I would be happy to show them to you.

If we need to do an REI run to Vegas... I could easily be convinced. Freaking love that store!

I have two REI tents. One is a 3 man for me and Sarah or in a pinch all 3 of us. The other is a 2 man for Spencer. I have been very pleased with these for car camping tents. I have even packed just the inner 3 man tent backpacking once down to Havasupai (I really hate spiders and critters running over me). We bought ours about 4 years ago but I think this one is the comparable to what we have http://www.rei.com/product/845481/rei-half-dome-2-plus-tent. Very easy to put up and take down. My only complaint I can't stand up. I sometimes would very much like to stand up and get dressed. I also took my 3 man to Freeze Fest and slept in it.

I've seen that one on the REI website, too bad there aren't a lot of reviews. I'm especially interested how sturdy it is and if it will withstand some nasty wind gusts. So far I couldn't find anything.
But I would love to see it at your place, thanks for the offer.

I could bring my EMS tent for you if you like. I can basically stand up in it, it is so roomy. Got dressed in it all the time and there was even enough space left with my queen size mattress. It's a good tent, but way too big for me alone.

Should you want to personally check out the REI tents you know where I live! I would be happy to show them to you.

If we need to do an REI run to Vegas... I could easily be convinced. Freaking love that store!

which REI store in Vegas?
But a REI trip always sounds good. I definitely have to get there in the next few weeks and gear up for the season.
And maybe a good idea so I can compare both REI tents I'm interested in.

Storms? What are these storms you speak of? You live in Utah now! :)

You should know I attract all the storms, no matter where I am. ;)
And actually I got hit in Utah by a nasty cold front with gusts up to 65 mph last April in Capitol Reef. It almost snapped the poles of my backpacking tent and damaged a part of the fly.

I'll second the REI tents...I like the Quarter Dome. I also like Big Agnes tents and Tarptents. Tarptents are crazy light, but I'm not sure how well they would do in a storm.

The Quarter Dome looks good, basically the same like the Mountain Hardwear tent. Just a tiny bit heavier.
I guess I should see it by myself before I can make a decision.

If you love the Vegas store, you really need to get their big flagship store in Seattle. You would never leave the store. ;)

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

I love my BA copper spur UL2. :twothumbs:
Im currently in the market for a second backpacking tent to stuff the kids in and I'm leaning towards the SeedHouse3 and the CopperSpur UL4

You'll have to let us know what you think of that tent, Yvonne. I was actually eyeing up that and a couple other 2-3 person backpacking tents the other day. The Marmot Limelight 2 that I bought a couple years ago is a nice little tent, but it would be really nice to have a tent with 2 doors so that when Rick goes backpacking with me we don't have to climb over each other to get out.

Awww yeah.. can't beat a sweet deal on STP. That's how I end up getting a lot of my gear. I picked up my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 there for like 65% off. That said, I'm a big fan of Big Agnes tents. They tend to have more floor space than most tents and still weigh less.

You'll have to let us know what you think of that tent, Yvonne. I was actually eyeing up that and a couple other 2-3 person backpacking tents the other day. The Marmot Limelight 2 that I bought a couple years ago is a nice little tent, but it would be really nice to have a tent with 2 doors so that when Rick goes backpacking with me we don't have to climb over each other to get out.

Lisa, you can have a closer look in March when we camp at Little Finland and Valley of Fire.
I like the two doors too and missed that a bit when using my MSR tent.

Awww yeah.. can't beat a sweet deal on STP. That's how I end up getting a lot of my gear. I picked up my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 there for like 65% off. That said, I'm a big fan of Big Agnes tents. They tend to have more floor space than most tents and still weigh less.

How do you like your Copper Spur UL 2? Have you ever tested it in a storm?
I really like UL tents, but they are so prone to high wind speeds.
You use your UL2 primarily on backpacking trips, right?

I still have my EMS Velocity 1 for backpacking, but had nothing for car camping trips.
If I ever need to replace my Velocity 1, I will definitely have an eye on one of the UL Big Agnes tents.

The Copper Spur is fantastic. Nothing but good things to say about it. I'd say the design of the tent is more of an issue in storms than the weight. A solid free standing tent like the Copper Spur will hold up just as good as a similar style 3-season tent that is 3 pounds heavier. The only thing better would be if you step it up to a 4-season tent that actually has more structure to it. The ultralight tents that can have issues in storms tend to be the kind that are not free-standing, utilize trekking poles and have broad walls. Not saying there aren't solid tents that fit those descriptions, but I think thats where the issues tend to happen. I've had issues with my Missing Link where it works fine until the wind comes right at the broad wall, then it's like a sail. I've also had issues where it rains so much that stakes required to keep a non-free-standing tent up right no longer want to stay put because the ground is completely saturated. I haven't had any of these issues with my free standing Big Agnes tents.

And yes, I only use it on backpacking trips, and mostly only in the mountains since I typically go tent-free in the desert. It's done great in the storms it has seen so far. I picked up a cheap Marmot Titan 3 off of STP for car camping. Works okay but harder to setup and not as much length as my Copper Spur.

Correction... My original Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 took some insane winds on one trip. It was in Onion Creek around 2005. Shortly after going to bed I was laying there and heard this rumbling. It almost felt like the earth was shaking a bit as it got louder and louder. I thought for sure it was a flash flood crashing down the canyon and I was only 20 feet or so away from the wash. It got louder and louder and the next thing I knew it hit. My tent was smashed flat against my face. It was just an extremely strong gust that lasted maybe 30 seconds then the tent popped back up and it was calm. This cycle of rolling gusts repeated for what seemed like a couple of hours. Every 5 minutes or so the tent would be flat against my face. It bent the hell out of my poles, thankfully Big Agnes replaced them at no charge. My friend was camped next to me in a 4-season Marmot and his tent held up fine. Thinking back, I'm not sure if the Copper Spur would have been able to stay up, but I think the larger wishbone design in the poles would have given it a better chance. The Seedhouse has significantly less pole structure on the ends than the Copper Spur. I've had it and my Big Agnes Emerald Mountain in strong winds since, but nothing like that night in Onion Creek.

I've also had great luck with Big Agnes tents. The Fly Creek 2 is perfect for one person with a dog. It weighs just a bit over two pounds. I also have the Copper Spur 3. It's very room for two people and all of your gear inside with a door on each side. We used it backpacking for three weeks in Patagonia in extreme winds and rain and didn't have any problems.

One disadvantage to be aware of with 3-season tents in the desert - all of that mesh allows the dust in when it's windy. I've come back to a tent full of sand several times. Also be careful to keep the zippers sand free.

A recent trip to the Sawtooths. Apparently we all liked the BA tents.

P8252170ed (Large).jpg

It occurred to me after we were talking tents that since Rick and I will both be using wide pads that the Marmot Limelight 2 might not be big enough to fit us both. I set up the tent in the living room and put both pads inside. No go. The pads were overlapping each other. Fortunately I bought that tent from REI so even though it had been about a year a half since I bought it, I was able to return it. After doing some research on a number of 3 person tents I decided that the Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 would be the best option for us. I wanted something that would be light, roomy, and had a door on each side. After having to sit out storms for an entire day in the Uintas over Labor Day weekend last year, I wanted to make sure we'd have something spacious enough to hang out in comfortably for a while. Zappos had them on sale for $100 off the normal price yesterday, so I jumped on it and got the last one they had. I should be getting it tomorrow.:D

Awesome, Lisa. I love the Copper Spur and I firmly believe that a 3-man tent is a must for 2 people if you want to be even a little comfortable. You'll love it!

The Copper Spur 3 is great for two! Plenty of room even if you're stuck inside for days and need to eat in there.

Awesome, Lisa. I love the Copper Spur and I firmly believe that a 3-man tent is a must for 2 people if you want to be even a little comfortable. You'll love it!
The Copper Spur 3 is great for two! Plenty of room even if you're stuck inside for days and need to eat in there.

Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear some positive feedback on that tent. It was a tough call for me only because of the price, but I'm sure that once we're sitting pretty in the new tent it will feel all better.:)

my tent arrived yesterday, love the speedy service of Sierra Mountain Post. :)
So my first impression - it's awesome. When I unpacked the tent I first thought the poles were missing because the whole thing weighted basically nothing. Somehow I thought the tent was a bit heavier.

I then set it up in my living room. Super easy and it took me roughly 5 minutes for the first time. I'm impressed. And the whole structure looks really sturdy, even with being so lightweight. What I really like are the two doors and when you attach the fly there is a kind of a skylight so you can basically check the weather without sticking your head out of the tent.
My overall impression: :twothumbs:

Because I'm a short person I have a lot of space in that tent.Absolutely not too crammed and I can sit upright without any issues.

I can't wait to use it!! I'm so ready for camping. Looking for a nice and quick overnight trip for this weekend right now. Not sure where to go.