Horseshoe Canyon or San Rafael Swell?

davidfinger

I have a spare day on the end of my April backpacking trip to Canyonlands. We're spending 5 days in the Maze with pickup and drop off via jet boat since we'll be renting a car. Because Tex's only picks up if they already have a shuttle scheduled, we're getting picked up a day earlier than planned and have an extra day to play with. We were thinking of heading to either Horseshoe Canyon or somewhere in the San Rafael Swell to camp, then doing a day hike. I'm curious if folks here would recommend one over the other. We'll be driving a rental car (hence the jet boat), but it'll be an AWD SUV so should have at least ok clearance.

Sounds like you will have a flight to catch after the dayhike. Where? It was a long time ago, but I remember Horseshoe as being very worthwhile. It's a ways off pavement, though. If in the area, it could be combined with the shorter jaunt into Moonshine Wash slot canyon (further north towards Green River) if you have extra time before camping.

Sounds like you will have a flight to catch after the dayhike. Where? It was a long time ago, but I remember Horseshoe as being very worthwhile. It's a ways off pavement, though. If in the area, it could be combined with the shorter jaunt into Moonshine Wash slot canyon (further north towards Green River) if you have extra time before camping.
Flying out of SLC the following day (i.e. leave the Maze Thursday, day hike Friday, fly Saturday). Thanks for the Moonshine Wash rec, will check it out!

Flying out of SLC the following day (i.e. leave the Maze Thursday, day hike Friday, fly Saturday). Thanks for the Moonshine Wash rec, will check it out!
I've only done moonshine wash once, but I'd probably be nervous driving that road in a rental car. At least when I did it, there were some sandy sections, and I was glad to have a shovel and traction boards in my car just in case (although I never ended up needing them).

Another option is the primitive loop in Arches. It'll be more crowded than those other choices, but you'll already be there in Moab so it'll be less out of the way. No matter what you do for the dayhike, it won't seem so cool right after backpacking the maze!

Expect to walk from the first trailhead at Moonshine if in a rental suv. I'm not really that familiar with the Swell, having done only Little Wildhorse-Bell, Crack Canyon, Wildhorse Window, Black Dragon and the ridges above and beyond it, plus a couple of short walks. These have less off-pavement driving than Horseshoe and plenty of good dispersed camping nearby (may be quite busy?). I'm sure others here have great ideas for the Swell...

I've only done moonshine wash once, but I'd probably be nervous driving that road in a rental car. At least when I did it, there were some sandy sections, and I was glad to have a shovel and traction boards in my car just in case (although I never ended up needing them).

Another option is the primitive loop in Arches. It'll be more crowded than those other choices, but you'll already be there in Moab so it'll be less out of the way. No matter what you do for the dayhike, it won't seem so cool right after backpacking the maze!
Keeping Arches as a backup option in case the weather/roads are bad!

Note that I am not suggesting Moonshine instead of Horseshoe. Rather, Moonshine could be an add-on if you have a bit of extra time.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
regehr Lower Horseshoe Canyon and Big Spring Trip Planning 7
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
Udink Lower Horseshoe Canyon Hiking & Camping 0
Kullaberg63 Horseshoe Canyon question - complete descent, non technical Trip Planning 1
C Horseshoe canyon and Water Canyon (Canyonlands) Trip Planning 11
Udink Horseshoe Canyon Hiking & Camping 7
Yvonne Keg Knoll and Horseshoe Canyon Trip Planning 7
dennargle Horseshoe Canyon and Spur Fork. Hiking & Camping 4
Tyler Canyonlands NP Horseshoe Canyon Feb. 2008 Hiking & Camping 3
Jeremy C Early season run to Horseshoe Basin Hiking & Camping 7
D John Muir Trail: Devil's Postpile to Horseshoe Meadow Backpacking 7
Kullaberg63 Horsethief to Horseshoe, a November packraft trip Backpacking 12
Kullaberg63 circling horseshoe/millard via bike and packraft Everything Else 9
IntrepidXJ Birthday Arch & Horseshoe Bend Hiking & Camping 3
steve Blue John and Horseshoe Canyons Canyoneering 7
steve Invite Blue John and Horseshoe Canyons this weekend April 18-20 Meet Up (Members Only) 9
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 3
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
Titans Tricked in the canyon! Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
A Bowdie Canyon Trip Planning 10
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
Bob The New Grand Canyon Trip Planning 1
WhozWutz Invite Horse Canyon Needles Meet Up (Members Only) 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 2 - Tour de Canyon Country. Swell Times Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 1 - Tour de Canyon Country. Cedar Mesa. Hiking & Camping 8
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
F Grand Canyon hermits rest to granite rapids to bright angel Trip Planning 10
gnwatts Stillwater Canyon On The Water 11
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
J Info needed: Bown's Canyon, Long Canyon Trip Planning 8
Gretchen Millward Cheesebox Canyon, Oct. 2022 Backpacking 14
Stickerbumper Fold Canyon Middle Exit Trip Planning 9
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7