Hole in the Rock Hitchhiking

GusTheDog

Hey folks,
I'm in Grand Escalante Staircase National Monument weekend with the dog for the weekend. We (myself and dog) were thinking about doing Harris Wash tomorrow, but I don't think my Prius would make it down Hole in the Rock Road to the trail head and back. Does anybody have any experience hitchhiking on Hole in the Rock road? How much traffic does it get? I figure my odds would be pretty good seeing as it's Memorial day weekend.
Best,
Chris

I'd say your odds go down with two people and a dog. Your Prius will get you to the turnoff for the Harris Wash Road. I assume you're planning to hike from there regardless? I would not bank on hitching that road.

I'd say your odds go down with two people and a dog. Your Prius will get you to the turnoff for the Harris Wash Road. I assume you're planning to hike from there regardless? I would not bank on hitching that road.
One person and a dog, sorry if that wasn't clear

I've walked sections of the HITRR a few times, every time people were going the opposite way. As popular as that road is, it's not popular enough to count on hitching it seems.

The main road , despite being long, is pretty well maintained and easy to drive in a passenger car, assuming its not rained recently. As long as you are willing to walk or bike the side roads leading off the main HITR road, you should be able to avoid hitching. I agree with others who said the wouldn't bank on being able to hitch, unless you have a lot of time to spare

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Hello, just wanted to revive this topic for recent times. I am wondering if this would be more possible now considering how popular Coyote Gulch has become. On a weekend in April, what are the chances of getting a ride back up the road from hurricane wash or water tank trailhead? The larger plan is a packraft run from Egypt TH/Neon Canyon to Coyote Gulch on the Escalante.

Hello, just wanted to revive this topic for recent times. I am wondering if this would be more possible now considering how popular Coyote Gulch has become. On a weekend in April, what are the chances of getting a ride back up the road from hurricane wash or water tank trailhead? The larger plan is a packraft run from Egypt TH/Neon Canyon to Coyote Gulch on the Escalante.

Hi @skaliwagify

In April 2022, I hiked from Hurricane Wash to the end of the Hole-in-the-Rock, as part of a thru-hike. I wasn't looking to hitch a ride on that occasion, but during my day of walking, 3 vehicles stopped to ask if I was ok, or if I needed water, which was very kind of them.

My feeling is that you should be able to get a ride without too much difficulty along the road, although there probably won't be too many cars. Later in the afternoon may be best, if folks are heading back towards Escalante, after a day-trip in the area.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
XID_AZ Willow Gulch from Hole in the Rock Trip Planning 4
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
Jimmy Hole in the Rock Car Camping Trip Planning 0
Nick Hole-in-the-Rock State Park? General Discussion 18
powderglut 1981 Hole In The Rock Canoe Adventure On The Water 24
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Rock Creek Lake-Hells Hole Hiking & Camping 2
WasatchWill Backpacking Hole In the Rock Trail Trip Planning 21
F Hole in the Rock Road Conditions General Discussion 7
M Hole in the Rock in Early June Trip Planning 1
steve Planning a packrafting trip to Hole in the Rock Trail - April 10-12 Meet Up (Members Only) 74
WillisBodillus Hole-in-the-Rock Road General Discussion 13
powderglut Hole in the Rock Road to be paved? General Discussion 48
IntrepidXJ Hole in the Rock Area Recreation Study to Kick Off General Discussion 1
powderglut Hole in the Rock Base Camp Trip Planning 3
AustinCronnelly Hole in the Rock Road - May '12 Hiking & Camping 5
Nurrgle Car Camping Spots along Hole in the Rock Trip Planning 4
Nick Hole-in-the-Rock and Bighorn Canyon, Escalante Hiking & Camping 14
NateGeesaman Hole in the Rock Road Trip Planning 9
LarryBoy Is there anything technical in White Canyon above the Black Hole? Trip Planning 16
ram Black Hole 1-1-22 Canyoneering 1
Stephanie B Lockhart Road and Bobby's Hole Trip Planning 7
Titans Rick’s Recovery : Paw Hole Sand trap, winch to the rescue! My Lizzy moment, ha…. General Discussion 24
RyanP road from Hite to Water Hole Flat Trip Planning 20
McKee80 Shenandoah - Old Fat Guy in a Swimming Hole Backpacking 6
ram Black Hole 1-1-20 Canyoneering 4
NorthwestWanderer Olympic Peninsula - Rialto Beach / Hole in the Wall / & 2 Bonus Waterfalls Hiking & Camping 6
ram Black Hole 1-1-19 Canyoneering 9
Brian Skibbe Teton Wilderness, GTNP, Jackson Hole 2017 Hiking & Camping 8
regehr 9 dead, boy missing in flash flood in Arizona swim hole General Discussion 1
r3biker Jones Hole in Dinosaur National Monument Backpacking 4
D Coyote Buttes South Paw Hole or Cottonwood Cove (or both) Trip Planning 3
Absarokanaut Jackson Hole Mt. Resort Closed Until Further Notice General Discussion 4
George_Washington_Hayduke Clearwater Canyon, Black Hole of White Canyon, Dark Canyon, Swett Canyon "Packraftoneering" Canyoneering 6
ram January 1st 2017- Black Hole Canyoneering 0
chandlerwest South Coyote Buttes - Paw Hole Hiking & Camping 13
Dave Hell Hole Lake, August 2015 Backpacking 6
IntrepidXJ Little Hole Hiking & Camping 3
Tye Dye Twins TRIBAL in action! The Jackson Hole Film!! Winter Sports 14
hatchcanyon Jackson Hole Off Road 8
scatman Sevenmile Hole - YNP - June 11, 2014 Backpacking 5
scatman Sevenmile Hole - YNP Trip Planning 14
Udink Thompson Hole Hiking & Camping 5
Bill Hell's Hole 2012 General Discussion 9
Bill Zion Swimming Hole General Discussion 4
Nurrgle Hole in the tire road! General Discussion 6
Yvonne How can I fix a hole in the bottom of my daypack? Gear 9
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10